Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly (Read 1788 times)
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Re: Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly
Reply #45 - 03/08/14 at 08:26:57

How you measured memory consumption?

Hard drive requirements vary a lot depending on do you store a lot of video and photos locally or not. This is hard drive in my laptop:

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1       909G  739G  125G  86% /

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #46 - 03/09/14 at 06:28:18

I used Systems Monitor (built in XP-like Mint utility) to measure my system while I was running it.

My memory usage may be less than yours because I keep fewer windows open at one time than you do -- and I tend not to have any background tasks running.

Obviously you have a lot of stuff on your machine beyond a standard Linux Mint install.   Quite a bit more.

My machine represents what a new Linux Mint Mate user will have on his machine when he gets started.  

Your machine represents what a Linux power user may develop into over some time.

Linux users range from the newbie just loading his first distro --- up to a power user -- up to a Cray XT5-HE supercomputer located at the US Oak Ridge National Laboratory -- all of them use progressively more systems memory and hard drive space.

Wink    

..... nothing I have ever done on Linux won't run comfortably within the confines of a $179 Chromebox.  

Nothing Kirill has ever done wouldn't run within the confines of a $179 Chromebox with a $69 one (1) terabyte USB portable hard drive plugged into the USB 3.0 port.

This does not mean Kirill would be happy with less machine than he currently has, he's a long term Linux power user after all.  

He geeks terminal and uses some of the core OS language commands like we used to use DOS.   He does not miss XP because he's been away from it sooooo long he doesn't miss it or Windows at all.

He is like you would be after 5-10 years on Linux.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #47 - 03/10/14 at 19:35:12

Wow, the Asus Chromebox is being presold right now at Amazon and guess what unit is leading the desktop computer sales at Amazon right now .... yup, you guessed it.

http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=i%3Acomputers%2Cn%3A565098&field-enc-merchantbin=A...

The #1 best desktop seller at Amazon is the Asus Chromebox, stealing the lead from the Asus Chromebook and putting them old moldy MS Windows products completely out of the top 4 computer items all over again.

We await the first salvo from the Cheapie guys, which has yet to land.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #48 - 03/12/14 at 06:45:13

Here is a comprehensive review of the $179 Asus Chromebox.  

http://liliputing.com/2014/03/asus-chromebox-review-chrome-desktop-celeron-cp...

BTW,  this little box is now verified as really being the hottest selling thing in PC desktop space from all 3 of the early pre-order sellers.

This graph says that the $179 device is actually the most powerful compared to any of the existing Chromeboxes out there -- it kicks the more expensive HP unit's arse in all tests.  

It is second only to the $1,200 Chrome Pixel deluxe Google proof of concept unit.

When more powerful processors and even more system memory comes out (or folks plug in even more memory into the standard memory slots) expect the overall performance to increase on this "the Most Powerful Chrome Box" device.

Also expect matched versions of Ubuntu and some well documented installation pages to follow on shortly.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpc...

Next, expect the dark blue pie sliver for Linux on this netracking thingie to increase a little bit in months to come since there is no windows associated with the machine at all to fool the tracking so these units should report themselves cleanly as "Linux".

Smiley

« Last Edit: 03/12/14 at 09:54:37 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #49 - 03/12/14 at 14:43:35

Well it sounds like all the chrome box and chrome book predictions have just about come true now.

The Ubuntu predictions are coming true as well,  the lower cost Edge phone is in production now for "a large Chinese customer" and will start shipping worldwide by midsummer.  Bet you can get a encrypted version if you want one.

Standards exist now for ARM so new products (that keep to the standards) can come to market quickly and be fully OS supported when they arrive.

Microsoft has got the blood bowl out again, getting ready to bleed all the XP people yet one more last time.    I think they are going to get a surprise instead -- folks might just go over to Linux on them.

An open Prediction exists now on the increase in Linux / Chrome "other" market share to go up past the Vista mark that is now out there, awaiting new half year summary numbers to drive them higher and higher and higher  (plus all them folks taking their XP boxes over to Linux will help some too).

Everybody is prepping custom ARM based game controllers all of a sudden.   Everybody is announcing improved on line gaming standards

?????  an Unreal 4 on-line gaming engine ?????
  That seems to point to some serious Chromebox style on-line gaming is coming, now don't it?)

===========================

The first shot out of the gun on more powerful ARM based Chromebooks and Boxes has just been fired by Samsung.   Samsung has now put their most modern upgraded and improved big Exynos 5 Octa into their chromebook, churning out speeds 2x-3x faster than the old Exynos 5 dual that is in the current Samsung chromebook.

All the brand new HP chromeboxes just got all moldy obsolete before they even get shipped.     Cheesy

Trust that if Samsung proves out that a real Octa core chromebook/box market exists, that Allwinner and Media Tek will not be slow to pop their brand new 8 core big littles right into the same slot at some reduced price points.

Look at this chart and triple the yellow bar height for the Exynos 5 dual and you will see something that could give the current champ, the Intel Core I-5 a bit of a run for its Chromium crown (at a much reduced cost of course).

And we thought there wasn't a real use case out there for all that meaty Octa core goodness .....      Wink

« Last Edit: 03/13/14 at 10:06:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #50 - 03/12/14 at 23:57:09

I just spent about an hour browsing news of the "Xpocalypse"...
... and,... it exposes the flaw in any OS business model...

We like what we know and are good at...

Windows, Mac, Linux , or whatever...  you learn it, get comfortable, know every in and out... then loose the rug out from under you... and nobodie's happy with that...
Linux will do better,...  not because it is better, but because you don't have to pay $100+ to receive this agony...

In comparison to bikes... it's not as if these companies are selling you a better machine... it's as if they are pulling you off your ride, and giving a machine with a right foot clutch and a bum operated throttle...
(adjust what you must)... Huh...

I do believe, they need to keep the controls the same,... and offer increased performance, safety, and reliability... for a reasonable maintenance sum... say $10.00 per year...
Instead of $120.00,.. learn a new environment, discard all your familiar programs,.. and face doing it again down the line...

If I want to switch from my Geo Metro to a jet... I'll pay that price, and learn those controls... but don't make learn to fly a jet just to drive my car...

Linux will gain some in the pie chart from this fiasco... but only because it's free...
Ultimately, the lesson is, keep our interface the same, keep our programs valid, and update what you must in the background... charging a maintenance fee, not an upgrade fee... (until we decide to upgrade to a new computer)...

I don't want to learn a new Linux any more than a new Windows...
It's only natural that the leading OS push this boundary and learn this lesson ahead of the others...
But it's just a mater of time... before all Os's learn this lesson...

England drives on the left... America drives on the right...
(I had to think about that)... Grin...
It ain't easy to change...

I personally will pay money, not to change... but don't ask me to pay to change...

Some younger people may find that prospect exciting,.. but just remember.... in 10 years,.. you'll be very used to what you got...
...(don't believe me?... try brushing your teeth with the opposite hand tomorrow...)  Grin...

Bottom line...
I would pay money not to have to brush my teeth with my left hand... I won't pay you penny, for you to force me...

PS... I love this site... 'cause I can rant into the ether... don't matter if it get's read or not...
I just huffed a bunch of air that was trapped inside...
...and now it's out...
Ahhhhhhhhh!.... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #51 - 03/13/14 at 03:15:38

I read it, what would make you happy is changing as little as possible to get to something that is STABLE and does not mash around on you all the time.

You are unhappy with the choices Microsoft is forcing upon you and are very correct in your analogy of being abruptly yanked off your ride and forced to change over to a rocket ship with poor hover capability and strange awkward left hand British controls.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #52 - 03/13/14 at 04:34:54

HOW HARD IS IT TO UPGRADE THE $179 ASUS CHROMEBOX?

Not very hard at all.    Watch Brad do it with just his little jeweler's screw driver.

I can see ASUS planned well for creating other models with up to 8 gigs of systems memory and up to 128 gigs of flash type hard drive space.  

Same case & motherboard arrangement can hold up to a Core I-7 Intel processor (you will grow a fan and a heat sink inside the case for those models, of course).

HOWEVER, anything past 4 gigs of systems memory in the current model is likely overkill since you really can't figure out a way to use it all with Chrome OS.

And, unless they are going to actually ship it with Ubuntu or another relatively large resource consuming OS (like any MS OS always is) you likely are fine with the stock components that come with the $179 ASUS unit.

Still, knowing that the potential expandability is there is always nice to know.

=====================

The full Unreal 4.0 gaming engine is now running on the web, doing web-based games -- from the Mozilla Foundation no less.   Firefox OS supports it, Firefox on Linux (all flavors) supports it.  A real on-line gaming engine that is already commonly used by big gaming houses.

Asus is sending a game controller to the FCC for registration --- pieces of the same puzzlement, yes? no?    
Nope, Asus is supposedly prepping a super powerful ANDROID OS gaming device likely using their new chromebox hardware ???  

Well, a Asus Chromebox's hardware would be sorta "superpowerful" in the Android gamebox world, this is true enough ....

And Sony is now jumping into bed with Firefox OS and Mozilla foundation by putting their Sony widgets into Firefox OS -- hmmmm ?
Sony,  Playstation Sony -- putting some effort into Mozilla and Firefox all of a sudden ..... ????

Something's up on the low end side of things again.

« Last Edit: 03/13/14 at 10:09:32 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #53 - 03/14/14 at 09:49:51

Here is the actual online advertising for the Asus Chromebox.

.... funny ain't it,  how  the Asus Chromebox became the #1 bestselling desktop unit before the folks ever even saw the ads?

Something the ads make clear that was never mentioned before is that the Asus Chromebox can support running two monitors right out of the box.

Not shabby at all for $179 .....     Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #54 - 03/14/14 at 17:58:42

http://liliputing.com/2014/03/mozilla-kills-firefox-windows-8-metro-figures-p...

Mozilla kills Firefox for Windows 8 Metro, figures you probably won’t notice

Windows 8 and 8.1 Metro (the Win 8 Pro interface) for Windows Tablets really isn't doing very well right now.

How bad?   The original volume of first produced units is still out there in discount land churning down the price ranges while being moved .... very slowly.

How bad is the market penetration of these devices?   Pretty poor, and several of the initial vendors have scraped the OS off of their warehouse stocks and put Android or Ubuntu on them just so they can sell them off at a discount.

Numerically, nobody has said all that much about just how bad Windows Metro is doing, but Mozilla foundation has just now dropped their 2 year old effort to support Firefox on Windows Metro.  

When asked why,  they replied that less than 1,000 downloads were ever done and it made no sense for them to do the upkeep on an unused item when they had more pressing needs in supporting the ever expanding Firefox OS platforms (which now include phones, tablets and the newest platform -- their PC platform that they are currently developing).

Right now I can easily remember in excess of 6 major suppliers who have recently dropped supporting the Windows Metro platform with hardware or software.

And I can easily remember in excess of 6 major suppliers who have just put out a Chromebook or Chromebox.   Some are at Chromebook version #2 now and are going upscale with more processing power and systems memory accordingly.

Roll Eyes    

Meanwhile, back at Microsoft ....      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/microsoft-layoffs

.... it's time to get out the blood bowl and the little vein scalpel and go out and visit all them XP people yet again ....

On the flip side, Walmart as the largest US retailer has had something to say about them newfangled chromebook dinguses .....

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=chromebook&adid=22222...

Amazon says the same thing, even louder.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=chromebook&index=blended&link_...

..... look at the reviews at Walmart and Amazon and the star ratings the units get given, people really do understand what they are buying and they LIKE it.

« Last Edit: 03/31/14 at 01:55:13 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #55 - 03/14/14 at 22:20:51

Qualcomm leapfrogs over Samsung in the 64 bit vapor race -- Qualcomm outing first 3 Snapdragon Octa-core 64 bit A-8 architecture chipsets.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2100701/qualcomm-overtakes-apple-with-eightcor...

Remember, we said the 64 bit race has begun in earnest now? 

Apple's first dual core 64 bit chipset from last year was really sorta weak as it got outpaced by even the Chinese Cheapie guys within a month or two after their release of the A-15 big little octa cores.  

These were some relatively powerful 20-28nm chipsets that were put quickly into play by Allwinner and Media Tek using proven ARM designs.

For a very short period of time the CC guys had also leapfrogged over Samsung and Qualcomm's then current released products, which at the time brought a quck reaction from Samsung with a new updated beefier Exynos 5 Octa core chipset and then yet another yet stronger Octa core Samsung product ....   but brought nothing but silence from Qualcomm.  

A big silence.   A deafening silence.  A long silence.

Qualcomm's huge silence that has now been broken.

Qualcomm has just outed three new 64 bit chips that have all come out since the Barcelona show.   How fast Qualcomm can find the production facilities to really actually run these chips at 16mn remains to be seen.  

Samsung's own plans are now contingent on upgrading one of their own lithography lines to a new more capable ASML lithography process and the ASML delays on that line are forcing Samsung into their own deafening silence right now.  

But the intent of the larger more capable big boy players is very clear,  16nm or less at 64 bits is where they are going to go and they are going to go there just as fast as they can possibly get there.  

2015 sales vis a vie Intel are now at stake in these new product moves and everybody knows it.

14nm EUV processes have all hit snags and ASML the company producing these new lithography systems has just burned one of them slam up at TSMC during a post-installation prove out trial run.    

Ouch -- a right expensive multi-million dollar boo boo to say the least.

Folks will hang out at 20mn-16nm for a while until the 14mn bugs all get worked out by ASML and their new EUV lithography equipment.

As Intel has also discovered, 14nm and less when pressed to run beyond very slow lab trials is fraught with some very very expensive learning curves ....  Intel has also put their 14nm moves on hold for a while until the ASML volume production bugs are worked out.

Energy levels being tapped to run these new EUV processes at full production speed are somewhat akin to military laser energy levels -- when EUV goes awry metal parts get turned into metal vapor and some related stuff just melts down from the discharged energy.

Ask TSMC -- they can tell you all about it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #56 - 03/15/14 at 11:59:03

GAMING ON LINUX

I watch Steam weekly to see if any decent Linux games go on sale.  Painkiller has showed up as a Linux Beta (pending fixing the last of the bugs) which was sort of a surprise to me.

Painkiller runs on Unreal Engine #3 and apparently all the work that is being done on the on-line Unreal Engine #4 is backporting into a whole crop of older but goodier full bore type games from the last 5 years or so which were done in Unreal Engine #3 and #4..

As the Unreal Engine tricks all work themselves out to completion, look to see lots and lots of older titles moving over to the Steam OS category

(.... and to all the Ubuntu based Linuxes, which includes Mint Mate 64 our favorite flavor).

They won't be 100% free, but Steam runs older games on sale at 80% - 90% off periodically which knocks the price down to $5-6 for a full bore major attraction game.  

I can live with that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #57 - 03/15/14 at 13:29:34

What can Unreal Engine do for me?

This gives you a flavor of what is able to run on-line using Unreal Engine 4.0
and this is what you can expect if the people writing actually use all the features that are available in on-line play.

Suggestion: click on the YouTube by the window "expand" and watch the clip in full screen from Youtube
or else you simply can't see all the good stuff going on in the tiny little window.

« Last Edit: 03/15/14 at 14:32:38 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #58 - 03/16/14 at 17:56:55

Trailers of games are always more video enhanced than the games are. Our PS4 is almost a match for the online trailers, really close.... but I never count on a game playing like the trailer looks.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #59 - 03/26/14 at 09:30:43

Asus Chrome Box was a run-away AMAZON best pre-seller even before it was actually shipped from Asus.

Asus has now shipped all the pre-orders and AMAZON is already out of stock on their main initial stocking orders already.  

So is every other seller.   The channel has been sucked totally dry at this point in time with people frantically placing B/Os as fast as they can to lock in the $179 price.   Places that will still sell for $179 are here  https://www.google.com/search?q=%24179+Asus+Chromebox+for+sale  but lots of retailers have sold out their entire year's current allocation and won't even take a B/O at this point in time (until they get allocated more units that is).

Asus needs to set up another assembly line or two ASAP ....

This reminds me of when Google started selling Nexus 7 tablets, or when Apple I-Phones were so hot you couldn't get your hands on one.

Asus is looking to have a real rebound quarter this quarter based off Chromebox and Chromebook sales if they can just get enough stuff to churn out those Chrome Boxes at the rate they need to make them to properly ride this wave of popularity.

Cheesy

Hey Asus, it is quite a contrast to not selling that Windows RT and Surface Pro shite last year, ain't it?

http://blogs.computerworld.com/cloud-computing/23628/asus-chromebox

Multiple reviewers have now suggested getting 4 gigs of memory if you want to keep more than 12-15 tabs open at one time without slowing the machine down.   So far no body suggests more than 4 gigs (up to 50 tabs open) although you can go as far as 8 gigs using the stock slots if you really really want to.

Now let's watch all the other players rush to get a unit into the feature/price range of the Asus Chromebox now that Asus has shown having a real hit on their hands.

..... and let's see who is bold enough to put out an Ubuntu 14.04 or Mint 14.04 box with the same specs.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 08:32:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.