Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly (Read 1788 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly
Reply #30 - 02/25/14 at 12:41:19

The drive is a biggun, plenty O ram,, I just want rid of this drive, even IF theres room for a new OS,, & dual boot,, I would rather replace it.
I have 203 free G/bytes on a 232 gig drive.. I just want it out. Ill keep it & MAYBE mess with it,, but, drives arent that expensive now.. Id even consider a digital drive, no spinning disk, IF you smart guys say theyre cool,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #31 - 02/25/14 at 16:38:36

What I would suggest is getting a disk defragmenter that will stack everything together in a cohesive clump at the front of the drive.   Windows world has many, quite a few of them are free.

Defrag and CoMPACT your current hard drive using Windows tools.   Tell it to move everything to the front if you have that option (most just do it automatically anyway)

Your drive is huge,  you have a ton of space.

You can install Linux Mint Mate version on 20-30 gigs of hard drive and think it was a 100 gigs --- Linux files are smaller and much fewer of them are required to run a system.

===============

Go here and download and burn the OS to a DVD with your DVD burner.  (cksum it to make sure it all got there)

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=104

Scan down the page and pick a USA mirror from the list and click on it right before you go to bed.  Downloading takes quite a few minutes for an entire OS DVD load and people fricking around with the PC and tapping on the keyboard actually cause more bad downloads than anything else really does.

==============

Like I said, in a couple of months Mint Mate edition goes to a new 5 year LTS version, and me, I'm waiting for it.

Once you boot Linux, it doesn't matter how eat up your old Windows is with crap and viruses nor how badly your old program files are chewed up.

Linux will create a new set of partitions, written in a format Windows can't read and it will organize a nice neat new world on those partitions that Windows (and Windows viruses) can't touch.

Your drive may wheeze and moan all the time under Windows because the boot sector has root kits on it and the FAT table is mangled and the drive struggles to read stuff that has been corrupted.

When you boot Linux, magically all that hard drive illness just stops.  

On my old while box I was running a hard drive that Windows and the manufacturer's fix it disk said was 100% dead & gone -- but it was fine under Linux.

Think of it as an experiment -- you can always change the drive out later if you want to.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 02/25/14 at 16:47:09

If you want to follow Justin as he gets himself all geeked up -- go here

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1393375353/0#0

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 02/26/14 at 02:25:44

"Other" has doubled in size just last year.

But what will happen when MS really pulls the plug on XP with it sitting at 37% desktop market share?

Old retired folks like us aren't going to rush out and buy a bunch of expensive new stuff that we don't know how to use ....

Reactos is pushing a kickstarter campaign to finish their XP clone stuff up in time ....

Linux Mint will likely put out a XP to Mint on-line guide ....

Ubuntu will put out a magazine type booklet out to do the same thing (with the software DVD included)

Your old XP hardware can move all fast again, just change your OS ....

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #34 - 03/01/14 at 08:29:42

I guess now is a good time for me to be having probs with the tower,, if theres gonna BE a good time for hassles, at least right now there are a lot of people out there looking to sell a replacement for XP. I like how XP navigates, I know nothing of spread sheets, or doing anything other than hitting websites. I am the computer equivalent of the person who drives, but cant change the oil or change a flat tire. I get in, fire it up & go where I want to go.. & Thats it.. Looks like I musta driven thru a few construction sites,, I seem to have picked up a few "nails" along the way,.,
Im gonna hafta get the tower dragged out & get all the pertinent info & go find a hard drive that'll plug in,,
I want it to come with the OS on it,, can I do that?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 03/01/14 at 10:57:26

Nope, you got to download the OS and put it on a DVD as that is what your old box will most likely read.

Quick question -- is the disc reader/writer on at least one of your machines at home a DVD reader/writer?   What sort of CD/DVD drive does your old tower have?

Heck, just tell us the model # of the old Dell Tower ....

=============

If this starts to sound too hard to figure out, then you need to pick somebody geekish that you know to get you some local type help.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #36 - 03/01/14 at 11:36:12

It SAY
Optiplex GX620

Then it SAY

Intel Pentium 4HT
Thats on the front. If thats not enough, Ill drag it out. Now, it was bought off the refurbished site, so, maybe the guts & the advertising arent an exact match,, I dunno,,
& thanks for your help, man,, really.. I Have no local geeky friends.. the one I had joined the air force,, but, heck,, he moved to Dallas I bet a year ago,, aint seen that boy in a while..

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 03/01/14 at 13:07:29

Is this what you got?    If not, pull it out and read the info off the main label on the back of the unit.   That is the info that counts.

You got to pull it out anyway and pop the back of the case off and make sure what you have looks exactly like the video before you go order anything.

Next, before you order anything, do you have a DVD WRITE drive on one of your other machines that is working?   What came on your old Dell is a read only DVD which cannot write the OS files to a DVD.   You will need another machine to do that.

If so this relatively inexpensive older technology 3.5" hard drive should mount your plastic slide rails and plug into your SATA connectors.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000Q85WOK/ref=sr_1_6_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Smiley

(everybody feel free to jump in if I picked wrong or you can find a drive cheaper somewhere else)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 03/01/14 at 13:24:06

And Justin, write all your stuff in the "Justin does Linux" thread and quit replying in a random fashion to all these old info threads left over from the Barcelona show.

The rest of the boys are tired of looking at them and want them to drop off the face of the earth .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 03/04/14 at 06:21:46

copied from first post in thread

Last month I was nattering on about ARM needing a hardware standard such that a general purpose broad range ARM FOSS operating system or two could be written.

Asus then came out with a $179 Chromebox that could run Ubuntu as well as Chrome OS and I thought "Well, Chrome has a hardware standard built into it that is actually enforced by Google, and it is the ONLY hardware standard/interface standard that currently exists in the ARM world".

Since then Microsoft's new exec has had his worker bees sniffing around FOSS for code sources and media pundits are talking about MS trying to fork Android into their own personal flavor called "Windroid" by the press guys.

I wrote a prediction that the $179 Asus Chromebox signals that a tipping point is coming, when HP starts shipping Chromeboxes it signals the tip is happening and when the Chinese Cheapie guys start shipping Chrome boxes it signals full acceptance has occurred.

.... AND THAT MS WAS IN REAL TROUBLE and had best be about DOING something about it before it was too late.

Well, step #2 is here ....

http://www.zdnet.com/hp-to-join-chromebox-fray-with-mini-pc-available-in-four...

Gots lots of stuff in between, but gist is that we are waiting for step #3 to come rolling around.

The original Chinese Cheapie guys have become HUGE Chinese guys now, they are not little incidental companies any more.  

Allwinner, originally the smallest of the lot has become arguably the biggest of them now and Allwinner has just made an announcement concerning ARM standards for their chipsets.

Allwinner joins Linaro Digital Home Group, commits to open source chip support

http://liliputing.com/2014/03/allwinner-joins-linaro-digital-home-group-commi...

Allwinner has just announced a hell for strong Octa Core chipset with the ability to run 3 desktop monitors wide (off a phone/tablet chip no less).  

Folks are saying the Allwinner A-80 is really an ARM PC chip and Allwinner intends to use it to sell ARM all-in-ones and ARM desktop boxes.  

This latest move, actually becoming a charter member of the Linaro Digital Home standards group and committing themselves (and VR graphics along with them) to adhering to the to be written Linaro standards going forward indicates that step #3 is coming soon (when Chinese cheapie guys adhere to an ARM FOSS standard so ARM based broad range OS products can be built).

So, you got a Linaro desktop standards body now.   Allwinner’s not exactly the first chip maker to join Linaro. ARM, AMD, Broadcomm, Freescale, HiSilicon, Marvell, Qualcomm, Samsung, and STMicroelectronics are all listed as members.

Linaro is a non-profit working to bring Linux to ARM-based hardware and the team offers builds of Android, Ubuntu, and OpenEmbedded for a variety of ARM-based systems and chipsets.   Think of Linaro as the grocery store that folks go to visit to pick up the bits and pieces to make up a tablet or phone or desktop using ARM processors.

If Allwinner and VR are serious about the FOSS standards thing, then Ubuntu will have them listed as supported partners in the next general Ubuntu release.   Somebody will likely build a cheap chrome box or two with their chipset as well.   Certainly an Ubuntu box or two.

Competitive pressure will fall on Rockchip and all the rest to do the same thing -- adhere to a build standard.   Rockchip and Media Tek could be a no brainer for their next A-17 chip since it is a plain vanilla ARM reference design that is fully supported by Linaro anyway.  

Ubuntu will support those chipsets if the boys actually do the output I/O  connections to any reasonably complete standard and actually do really connect up to all the traces (Rockchip is bad for not connecting up the ARM provided I/O traces for hard drives, etc. etc. etc.)

This will be step #3 --- Chinese cheapie guys making full free OS supportable products to a known build standard.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 03/04/14 at 09:48:35

Folks have begun to list all devices in their statistics since phones/tablets are basically PC class devices now-a-days.

It will be interesting to see how MS fares going out into the future .....

==============================

Time to stroke the smoke filled crystal ball and make a prediction for the next 8 months .... likely sooner than later.

Microsoft stirred the waters with the "Windroid" threat and ARM/Linaro/chipmfgs/majordevicemakers instantly all clumped together to form a standards body for ARM FOSS hardware/interface standards.  

You notice Microsoft wasn't invited, right?   Nor was Intel, although their latest Merryfield vapor chip is about as much an ARM chip as any of the Qualcomm chipsets are.  

You also noted that Merryfield midrange performance slot got instantly filled up with a more capable new ARM A-17 chipset, right?

Microsoft is going to try to broach a new ARM OS standard soon and they will attempt to preempt any ARM hardware interface standard from developing  by throwing a conflicting one out first.  

Microsoft MUST lay claim to "writing the standards in ARM space" or else they can't sue everybody into submission later on ...   and without the ability to sue they can't control the fate of this new industry.

Google has been playing Switzerland for so long nobody really expects them to step up to the plate and lead on this fairly critical issue.  

Linaro seems to be stepping up to the plate, but remember, Linaro is a paid for by the main chip builders and main hardware makers type of non-profit service company -- they really lack the ability to make anyone do anything.

If Microsoft succeeds in claiming any sort of dominant control over ARM space, watch for Google to suddenly "improve" Android to add more broad OS functionality to it ....  something they wouldn't do quickly otherwise.

With 4x everybody else's market share, Google simply isn't going to act preemptively to destroy anybody, not MS, nor anybody else.

Coming out of left field, with some old old moldy grudge bones left to pick with MS, Firefox (Mozilla Foundation) might just pop up to do the job if Ubuntu doesn't get there first.

Firefox currently has quite a low end following in South America and in Italy and in Spain ....  the gap from the new Firefox for tablets to an All-in-one OS wasn't hard for them to bridge at all.  Remember, Mozilla Foundation has been in FOSS all along from the very beginning.  

Heck, Mozilla Foundation used to be Netscape -- they date back to BEFORE the earliest Windows versions, to the earliest OS -2 days when IBM and Microsoft were duking it out the first time.

« Last Edit: 03/05/14 at 20:22:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #41 - 03/05/14 at 19:49:48

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7721/arm-and-partners-deliver-first-arm-server-...

So the first hurdle for ARM to take was to develop a platform standard. And that is exactly what ARM is announcing today: the platform standard for ARMv8-A based (64-bit) servers, known as the ARM ‘Server Base System Architecture’ (SBSA) specification.

The new specification is supported by a very broad range of companies ranging from software companies such as Canonical, Citrix, Linaro, Microsoft, Red Hat and SUSE, OEMs (Dell and HP) and the most important component vendors active in this field such as AMD, Cavium, Applied Micro and Texas Instruments. In fact, the Opteron A1100 that was just announced by AMD adheres to this new spec.

All those partners of course formulated comments, but the best comment came from Frank Frankovsky, president and chairman of the Open Compute Project Foundation.

"These standardization efforts will help speed adoption of ARM in the datacenter by providing consumers and software developers with the consistency and predictability they require, and by helping increase the pace of innovation in ARM technologies by eliminating gratuitous differentiation in areas like device enumeration and boot process."

=================

OK, Microsoft was there --- and they are now claiming to the MS press they "wrote the standard" which is utter nonsense of course, but watch them, they will repeat this lie more times than Al Gore did when he was inventing the internet.  

They must lay a framework for "controlling the standards" or they have no controlling future in 64 bit ARM.   The big lie has worked for them in the past at other critical junctures, so they will try the big lie yet again.    Enough incidences of claiming something goes a long way in court 10 years from now in convincing a jury that damages and royalties are due to you.

A large chunk of this server standard will become the 64 bit consumer product standard since the actual ARM A57 product is actually pretty much the same in both cases.

Note please that AMD is currently putting out a 28mn 8 core chipset (all A57 bigs) that adheres to this standard.   Broadcom has announced that it will produce a 3 GHz 16 nm quadcore server ARMv8 server CPU.   ARM SoC market leader Qualcomm has shown some interest too, but without any real product to hang it on yet.

At this point in time MS has bupkiss of their own creation -- no code, no ARM OS, NO NOTHING that they haven't just lifted from somebody else.  
The liftees should all band together and sue MS right now while it is still nice and clear cut to anyone what exactly MS just did.  

Don't wait, IBM and Digital Research can tell you all about giving MS a year or two of free time to claim all the lifted stuff as theirs.

Expect a whole rash of 64 bit chip announcements ASAP -- the great 64 bit race of 2014-15 starts today.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 03/06/14 at 16:52:16

For you fine folks who think Chrome OS isn't able to really do your stuff, the Linux hackers have now had at the lowest cost Acer Chromebooks (non-touch screen @ $199 and touch screen @ $299) and have figured out how to simo-kernel (dual boot to you MS people) Ubuntu on the same unit and the same Linux kernel as the stock Acer Chrome OS.

You can flip back & forth between them with just a combination key push.

This guy Brad Linder shows you how it works and it works pretty well.   For such a light processor, etc. the Acers haul butt pretty good.

Brad always tells it square & blunt, so he will tell you what he likes about the Acer keyboard and screen and such and what he doesn't care for all that much.   He also gets into the better memory specs you can order on the non-touch screen $199 unit that you can't get yet on the $299 touch screen unit.

Before you go hating on something you've never really touched yet, at least watch the man kick the tires on a Croton simo-kernel (?? dual boot ??) Acer set up and listen to him tell you briefly how durn easy it is to scrape Chrome OS off totally & completely & permanently and replace it with Ubuntu.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #43 - 03/08/14 at 06:57:46

http://liliputing.com/2014/03/asus-chromebox-available-pre-order-179.html

Oh My Goodness !!!   Do you think they are going to ship a few of these?

"The first Chrome OS desktop computer from Asus is now available for pre-order. The Asus Chromebox-M004U is a tiny desktop with an Intel Celeron processor, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a $179 price tag.

It’s expected to ship March 14th, but you can pre-order the Chromebox from Amazon, TigerDirect, or Newegg.

This model features an Intel Celeron 2955U processor based on Intel’s “Haswell” architecture. Asus also plans to offer a Chromeboox M-005U model with an Intel Core i3-4010U Haswell chip starting in mid-March.

Both models feature built-in WiFi and Bluetooth, 4 USB 3.0 ports, an SD card slot, HDMI and DisplayPort. The $179 model comes with 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and 100GB of free cloud storage space with Google Drive for 2 years.

The Asus Chromebox measures 4.9″ x 4.9″ x 1.7″ and ships with Google’s browser-based operating system. But as we’ve seen over and over again, it’s pretty easy to install Ubuntu, Debian, and other operating systems on Chrome OS hardware.

That could make the Asus Chromebox a pretty nifty little machine not only for folks who buy into Google’s vision that a web browser is your most important app… but also for folks looking for a cheap alternative to an Intel NUC or Gigabyte Brix mini-PC".

Cheesy

Now, having just installed some Linux Mint lately into a little under 8 gigs of space, a lot of our new Linux users now begin to understand that the Chromebox at 16 gigs DOES have plenty of room for the OS and a goodly bunch of little tiny Linux files.  

If you do run out of room, just pop in an SD card or plug up a USB hard drive -- keeping your data on a mobile drive is a smart thing that also makes distro hopping easier later on anyway.

$179 buys you a whole real computer box.

Yes, I think they are going to sell a bunch of them, especially when the 32 gig version comes out in a month or so with the more powerful Intel processor that they are promising.

AMD is working on several of these with different partners .....  

Me, I like AMD integrated graphics much better than Intel's.

When the Chinese Cheapie guys get here it will be Allwinner A80's and Media Tek and such like -- still able to carry the load VERY EASILY since an old RK3188 A-9 quad core can do it right now.   Heck, a dual core A-9 can do it too, so processor power isn't an  issue with Linux, really.

Paying more than $200 for a box should never be necessary ever again.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #44 - 03/08/14 at 07:40:04

What does it really TAKE to run Linux Mint Mate 64 bit Olivia?

(the current one, not the new one out next month as I ain't got that one yet)

It takes 6.5 gig of hard drive space for my OS and all my current files.

It takes 741.2 k  (not gigabytes, not megabytes, less than 1 meg) to run an Intel Core 2 Duo system.  
It took 515 k to run my old  AMD Athlon 64 bit single core and I had to run a bunch of open stuff all at the same time to get up to that.

Wink

It takes less than half of the ASUS Chromebox's built in resources to do the job.

And it is FAST, much much quicker than your Winbox is right now.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 08:31:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.