Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly (Read 1788 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly
Reply #15 - 02/23/14 at 06:46:20

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay over my head OF, but  I can vouch Apple is earning the highest stars by customers satisfaction, as I am trying to find a laptop for the wife.
Her old one failed and now she is bogarting my PC.

She needs her own platform as she gets hundreds of correspondences a day re: her INTERNET business, and yes, time is money. I use mine for editing her products onto which I then send her the folder of my finished editing, where she adds text and uploads to her sites for sale.

On any given day I may have 10 to 20 products, each requiring 5 different camera exposures, which need some tweaking in PS to improve.
Her sales pretty much match our available output....

So....

Me working 10 hour days, toss in a couple more commuting, and a few hours EACH day taking, editing, pictures, I can't really share my work space.

She is looking at a Dell....

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 02/23/14 at 07:19:55

Dell retail brand new is quite pricey to buy once you add in the options you decide that you want in it.   Extra options cost big with Dell as new.

A Dell coming off their lease program is very reasonable, verging on cheap.    Some boxes come with the bells and whistles the original lessor paid for --- sell used for same same refurbie unit pricing.

Appearance of the units hasn't changed in 5-6 years, so what's inside the box is about the whole story.

Dell sells about 3-4 major variants inside the same case.   Look for the processor hp,  power supply rating and the graphics system to explain the variations.

Watch out for the power supply size in what you are buying.   Make sure it is big enough watt-wise and has the extra power leads for whatever you plan to add to that unit yourself.

Intel GMA graphics suck and many of the slim cases require the use of a low profile video card that you can buy from New Egg for $109 whenever they actually come into stock.   This card does not require extra power leads and it will fit inside a low profile case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202002#top

They sell out quick when they come into stock as they are about the only card that fits inside a slim line Dell case .... and fits the stock slim line power supply output levels too.

Buying a full sized case would be a better idea.   Buying a full sized PC case from Dell signals to them you wanted a workstation, so the guts get stronger & bigger on the full sized units.   A full sized case can hold anybody's video card and generally has a beefy enough power supply with some extra leads.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 02/23/14 at 08:59:04

Ive got a dell tower,, all I need is a hard drive & an OS & all the drivers. Some Jakass , who Was supposed to FIX the thing, Kept my XP disk,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 02/23/14 at 11:32:59

Justin, if you get a hard drive you can install Linux Mint on it, it comes with all the drivers and all the software .....

.....  for free.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 02/23/14 at 17:09:51

& itll just plug & play in this Dell? You got any suggestions on WHICH hard drive? PLease, post a link to what you think is the best answer.. I seriously am outta my league shoppin for such.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 02/23/14 at 17:38:18

No, first you need to identify which dell you have, identify the old hard drive that was spec'd for that machine and get a replacement drive that will fit THAT dell unit.

Try this search string "replacement hard drive for Dell model xxxxxxx"

Do you have the cable that came with the Dell that goes from motherboard to the now missing hard drive?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #21 - 02/23/14 at 17:41:29

Anybody notice that Microsoft dropped it's licensing fees for Windows by 70% the other day in an effort to stay at least somewhat relevant until they figure they can come up with something to put them on top again. But, they are still pushing the same old crap that nobody wants.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 02/23/14 at 18:29:50

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/21/5435152/windows-8-1-license-fees-cut-by-70-...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2453835,00.asp

Both analyst say the same thing -- Microsoft will literally give Windows 8.x away to an OEM short term to stop the OEM from putting out a Chromebook or Chromebox.

Question becomes, do people really want Windows 8.x  even at the price?

Microsoft is at the "do anything stage" to just stay alive for another year until they can come out with Threshold  (which is supposed to fix all the various ills, right ....)

Look for the ads bars to pop up on the start screen and some other zero price at point of sale tricks to pop up in the free (or nearly free) Windows 8.x for sub-$250 cheapie laptop/boxes OS offerings.

Also look for MS to start changing things even more quickly, as when you are operating at loss leader pricing it focuses your mind wonderfully on what really counts -- making customers happy.

Ad bars will NOT make customers happy.

=====================

Some numbers that have to change ---

MS requires 4 gigs of systems memory (Chromebox needs two)

MS Win 8.x requires X86 quad core processor at at least 2 ghz to run worth a durn  (or dual core at 3 ghz)
(Chromebox runs good on a two year old 1.5 ghz 28nm ARM dual core A-15, so you know it can really cook on the current crop of smaller lithography higher core count & better graphics ARM chipsets)

MS will require Intel to strongly loss leader price to all Microsoft's builder buds for all the extra motherboard components that are required to run an Intel chipset.   Lawsuit food here, Intel has to give the exact same pricing to the folks doing Chromebooks and boxes with the exact same chips or get sued over it.
(ARM chipsets are fully integrated right on the microprocessor die itself)

If this is a battery powered device, Microsoft will still require a 25% larger battery than ARM does to get the same battery life.

OEMs will be very reluctant to accept a Microsoft Secure Boot chip in their products because people realize what it is now -- a can't get over it security hole in the base hardware of the device that locks you out of changing OSs at a later point in time.    Customers should refuse all such offerings.

It will be harder this time for Intel and Microsoft to lie grossly about what they are actually selling, as the fairly quick and fairly complete outing of the last crop of lies has cost them considerable credibility with the OEMs, the ANTUTU test folks, magazine reviewers, the large retailers and computer customers.  

Being sued by your own stockholders for hiding financial downturn results and large "scrap it charges" does that to you .....

The VERY LARGE FINANCIAL LOSSES suffered by several of the major OEMs will make them very reluctant to EVER do that sort of trust MS nonsense ever ever again.  

The fired CEOs of 3 of these firms (4 if you count Microsoft, 6 if you count the head guy's "early retirements" over at Intel) act to reinforce that lesson.   All the new guys DO remember how they got their jobs ....

==============

Unless you make it totally pain free and VERY VERY LUCRATIVE to take this sort of bad risk, forget about it.  

A $15 discount per unit isn't gonna do it.    

Hell, free might not do it, not with Windows 8.x as the incentive.

« Last Edit: 02/23/14 at 21:28:37 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #23 - 02/23/14 at 20:38:52

I don't know about everyone else but I won't accept a machine that I can't install whatever software (including OS) that I want nor will I accept a desktop OS purveying ads.

Installing an ad popper on their already bloated, underperforming OS will really kill off what little demand there is for their product.

I can't see Android ever becoming an OS worthy of note for desktops until all the ads are removed from it too.  If they can ever get together for a set of hardware standards.  

I have a list of a few thousand known ad hosts blocked on my system.  It makes a tremendous difference in web page load times and in unwanted, unrequested ad poppers, spyware, malware, and virii being found on my system.  It just keeps chugging along.

I really enjoy using Linux.  It seems that no matter which distro I get, I have problems getting drivers for some piece or other of hardware in my system. It does run really sweet and so much faster than Windows on the same system.  I haven't had a distro installed in a couple years.  Might be time to try it again.  My system is at least 10 years old.  By now, drivers should be available for everything in it if they ever will be.

If some of these Chromeboxes can decently run Linux and do it without a lot of hacking to get it to work, I might pick one up one day to run Linux.  

I refuse to use a desktop OS tied to Google or anyone else for operation.  That knocks out Chrome.

Dunno if Firefox OS will ever make it to desktop systems.  Haven't really heard much of anything about it.

I have a feeling we are in for some major OS and hardware wars in the near future until things settle out again for a while before the whole circle starts over again.

Guess I'll either have Linux or Windows.  Both of those will run forever without their creator being out there.  I know win will most likely balk and pitch a fit if I ever try to install it on a different system.  But, there are plenty of ways out there around it's ascenine registration crap that will let it just install and run.

I applaud the vendors / manufacturers for pulling Win and installing something that people want and selling their equipment.  It's about time the big software vendors learned they are just a piece of the puzzle and that several other pieces will fit in their space to achieve the desired objective.

Software and hardware should be driven by the wants and needs of the customer...not the desires, forcasts, wants of the manufacturer, the NSA, Google, or anyone else.  Conversely, the customer should be educated enough to make a decent decision about what they are getting.  Salespeople are going to try to sell highest margin so their commission is better.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 02/23/14 at 20:43:08

http://www.edtechmagazine.com/higher/article/2014/01/google-chromebooks-make-...

Read this little nugget from the education side of things, about how much less it costs a school system to put in a new Chromebook and Chromebox based system vs the cost of even maintaining the licensing on a Wintel system already there on existing older equivalent X86 hardware/software.

IT and educators ARE money conscious and they flat out love the things that make their job easier to do.

Give them a product that does both at the same time and they will place an order for it as soon as they get the budget money to do so.

Google is offering the education system the cloud based education software infrastructure to run on those Chromebooks that makes the teacher's job much easier to do also.  

Teachers don't even have to grade the stuff, the Google servers do it for them.

Schools are now teaching kids how to use Google products, the kids don't forget that later on in life as they consider all OS products to be OK and usable.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 02/23/14 at 20:58:09

http://opensource.com/government/14/1/italy-open-source-software-procurements

Italy joins Germany and France and China in preferring open source software products for all sensitive government data functions.   Security is one reason, but price is another compelling reason for the preference.  

It simply costs too much to keep up with a Windows network, or if you let the machines actually be freestanding it costs too much to keep them simply running from one trojan to the next rootkit to the next virus, etc. etc. etc.

You might not like "Google cloud" holding on to your data for you, (it is a trust issue on your part mostly) but Google actually does a good job of maintaining your stuff securely and making it available to you ANYWHERE at ANY TIME compared to any other means of holding on to your stuff.

It is estimated that of the original "no offline work possible" Chromebook hardware that was originally purchased before last year that a good bit of the early stuff was re-purposed using a Linux distro.

=======================

Linux use has spiked up some from last year, going from 0.9% to 1.1% to 1.9% using the very most Windows friendly statistics.

Considering the prevalence of multi-boot set ups in use on PC hardware, Linux ranks higher in the real world accordingly.    

The net hit counting software counts your machine as "Microsoft" if it has a Windows boot sector on it (even if you never use it).

=======================

Could Microsoft recover?    

Yes, lay off over 50% of their employees and sell their software for a MUCH LOWER PRICE and really really stress making their customers happy as an ongoing thing (instead of scratching some Ballmer-type moron's mental itches) and they could do OK.

Can Microsoft pull this off with their current management mentality?    

..... no

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 02/23/14 at 21:36:31

Speaking about Microsoft layoffs.

http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php/Microsoft_-_Layoffs

This is just the last 3 years of layoffs and off-shoring done by MS.   Each line is a link to an entire article about the subject.   To get to the lists of links go to the link at the top of this post.

Rumors of Additional (Stealth) Microsoft Layoffs
   Former Microsoft Executive: Microsoft Should Lay Off 30%-40% of Its Workforce
   Quick Mention: More Microsoft Layoffs
   News Reports About Microsoft’s Confirmation of Layoffs
   FBR Capital Markets and Morgan Stanley Both Cut Microsoft Estimates While Microsoft is Hiding the Losses and Layoffs Are Rumoured for Next Month
   “Hearing Lots of Rumors of More {Microsoft} Layoffs Next Week or the Week After.”
   Microsoft’s Debt is Growing and More Layoffs Likely Imminent Based on Steve Ballmer’s Remarks

Microsoft Forced to Reveal More Layoffs, Offshoring; Sues Escapees

Microsoft to Start 2012 With More Layoffs

Microsoft is Unloading Divisions, Many Employees Leave
   Microsoft is Hiring Moles Inside Free/Open Source Software (the Competition) While Sacking Its Own Staff (Microsoft Layoffs Silently Occurring Every Quarter)

Also see: Microsoft - Offshoring and Visas

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 02/24/14 at 08:36:45

Im using the tower I want the new drive for. I just want to start fresh, ditch whatever BUGS are in this thing,,
I open F/fox & 10 minutes later, the cpu is running at 65% +,, Or, like now, it was open all nite & its at 28% & running along reasonably quick,, but sometimes it pops to 100% & MAN does it act weird,, Ive considered just loading a new Firefox & then killing the existing one.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 02/25/14 at 08:37:37

I really cant decipher all this,,by the time I get it read Im confused..I dont mind if it operates somewhat differently.,may take a while to get used to it, but I really want something that will cruise the net & not get hijacked or bugged up. If thats Linux or Ubuntu,, hey,I dont mind,,
I just need a hard drive with an OS thats slip in this tower & run. I am no longer enough "up to speed" to do much other than remove & install parts.. Heck,, Its time to open & clean the tower anyway..

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 02/25/14 at 09:01:55

So you have a working machine and a working hard drive.

How big is the hard drive and how much of it is unused at this point in time?

If you got 20 gig of free space you can put Mint on the old hard drive as a dual boot arrangement.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 08:32:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › Chromebox predictions coming true very quickly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.