Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stripped bottom fork bolt. How to remove it? (Read 82 times)
JayDuta
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stripped bottom fork bolt. How to remove it?
02/19/14 at 01:18:37

So I managed to strip the bolt at the bottom of one of my forks. I was able to remove the damper rod with the special tool from the top. The only problem now is that the bolt is stuck at the bottom and difficult to remove.

I tapped it with a hammer a few times prior to removing the damper rod with the special tool. I'm assuming that is the reason it is stuck. Are there still threads at the bottom of the fork with the damper rod removed? It doesn't seem to be screwed on to anything because it rotates freely in both directions now. I tried tapping it out form the inside of the fork tube, but it doesn't seem to work.

Has anyone had this issue before? And any suggestions on how to remove this bolt?

Screen_shot_2014-02-19_at_1_09_20_AM.png
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Stripped bottom fork bolt. How to remove it?
Reply #1 - 02/19/14 at 09:35:11

There are no threads in the fork leg and it should come out - but if it doesn't and you can still thread it back into the damper rod.......just leave it where it is and don't bother taking it out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/19/14 at 10:08:26

Dave wrote on 02/19/14 at 09:35:11:
There are no threads in the fork leg and it should come out - but if it doesn't and you can still thread it back into the damper rod.......just leave it where it is and don't bother taking it out.  

+1

and I believe there's a copper washer which you may have deformed during your hammering.  That's what maybe holding the bolt in place.

If it don't leak... don't fix it.

WWW   IP Logged
JayDuta
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/19/14 at 19:41:27

Thanks guys, I feel as though I should try and replace this bolt but if I can screw it back in from the top tightly that might just have to do!

IP Logged
JayDuta
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/21/14 at 00:56:53

Follow up. Disassembled the fork tube and hammered out the bolt from the inside. I used some wrench extensions to get it far down enough to reach and tap it out. It indeed was the crush washer that expanded due to hammering it in from the bottom. Bolts and crush washer replaced.

This was a rather a difficult task, but I think with the right strategy it could be done fairly easy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:27:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stripped bottom fork bolt. How to remove it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.