Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cleaning engine parts (Read 86 times)
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

cleaning engine parts
02/18/14 at 21:13:53

Hi folks,

I wonder what are you using to wash engine parts: diesel fuel, kerosene, white spirit, regular gas, something else?

Thanks,
Kirill.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: cleaning engine parts
Reply #1 - 02/18/14 at 21:34:33

Not that I clean that much...
... but,.. just regular car wash soap (dollar store spray) for most dirt... a bit a carb cleaner for really greasy spots,... and foaming engine cleaner and a toothbrush if there are any caked on spots...
Mostly,.. I just hit the tank, fenders, mirrors, headlight, with spritz of lemon scented furniture polish... (2 minute clean)...
...(Pledge,.. or equivalent,... is the bike show pro's secret alchemy... No need for expensive, fancy cleaners... Works on paint, chrome, glass, aluminium, plastic... anything that ain't coated in engine grunge)...

Geez... now I feel like I need to wash the beast... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/18/14 at 21:43:58

Sorry, was not clear enough. My question was about internals, not exterior. What should I use to wash filings out of alternator cover without risk to dissolve wire isolation?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/18/14 at 21:46:44

kt97679 wrote on 02/18/14 at 21:13:53:
Hi folks,

I wonder what are you using to wash engine parts: diesel fuel, kerosene, white spirit, regular gas, something else?

Thanks,
Kirill.

yes, what ever convenient.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/18/14 at 22:33:00

Gas...  (don't smoke)...

Why do I always crave a smoke when cleaning parts?... Undecided..
Suicidal tendencies.... Huh...

PS.. may not be the best thing... it's just always handy, and available,...
PSS... compressed air can take care of 99%...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #5 - 02/19/14 at 06:11:01

I use an aerosol can of brake clean, leaves NO residue...cheapest is from Wal-Mart.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 02/19/14 at 06:49:27

SuperThumper,

Brake parts cleaner is great for getting the crap off of parts, but it is too too harsh on the clear coat that is on our side cases and frame parts.

Within 3 years of using brake parts cleaner the clear coat will begin to crack, discolor and flake off.

Having learned this the hard way, I warn folks about using it indiscriminately where it can get on the clear coated parts.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/19/14 at 08:33:51

The clear coat's life is limited, anyway.. I dont think I got any on mine & it was starting to spiderweb & break down in 3 or 4 years from new.. I think engine heat plays a role in that & Im certain that environment plays a role. Down near the coast it doesnt last too well at all Id bet. Ill bet WD could have some input.
I avoid gasoline as a parts cleaner. I only use brake parts cleaner outside & I hold my breath, then run away, run away,, I use compressed air for anything I cant get with a rag, if I need a wire or screwdriver to poke the rag in & drag, Ill do that, to get the big stuff, first, then air, then diesel. Its cheaper than kerosene. If I didnt have air, Id use brake parts cleaner to shoot the last crud out. If you can hang the parts outside & do it, youll be ahead. Breathing that stuff just isnt good for ya, at all..
I have a blower Ive added a 1/8th dia. brass tube to.. its 8 or 10 inches long & lets me get air into tight spots. Pull the end off the blower, drill to take the tubing, flare the tubing, slide in,screw it in, take a tip from a tube of gasket makin stuff & slip down the tubing, pack with JB weld, shove it on down to the nut & pull the tubing up tight,, itll let go when the JB weld sets up solid & then youve got a good blow gun for gettin in tite spots, ( gotta ditch the rubber tip, too) & just use about an inch of that plastic tip. Wherever the ID of the plastic tip matches the OD of the nut is where to cut.

Of course if youve got a 5 gallon bucket you can lay parts in to soak a while youll save some elbow grease, if the stuff inside is old & drying to gunk,,

Ya know, if you dont Have a compressor,, now would be a good time,, if youre riding you need to be able to top tires off anyway,.,I got a 20 gallon from Harbor Freight for under 2oo bux & used it to air up tractor tires, I mean the BIG ones, on the back, its still working.. Just simply MUST stop using air when the compressor starts running or youll burn the motor up and ya cant add tank capacity either..I used it for 3 or 4 years before I got a 60 gallon unit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/19/14 at 20:37:02

Thanks a lot for words of wisdom everybody.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #9 - 02/19/14 at 20:37:09

A friend of mine has an old dishwasher in his shop.  No lie!  It makes for some very clean parts!  Do not use your own dishwasher unless you are single, or want to be that way.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:22:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cleaning engine parts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.