Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front brake dragging just a bit. (Read 75 times)
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Front brake dragging just a bit.
02/18/14 at 17:45:06

Hey guys...  It's been a while. Just haven't had any problems with the bike in a long time. Tried to search this just a bit... so if anyone has a link to this I'll be ok. 87 savage front brake is dragging just slightly. Is there a possibility that it's the master cylinder needing rebuilt? The caliper is all cleaned up now and piston moves really freely in and out. Sliders move really freely also. I ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit. My question is.... Has this been a common problem or pretty rare. Is there a "how to" done on this somewhere or is it pretty basic stuff?
Rich

1987 Long Savage, 2006 crf450r
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Front brake dragging just a bit.
Reply #1 - 02/18/14 at 18:31:31

How much drag?  It could just be the nature of the beast. ALL disk brakes (not just motorcycles) drag a little, as there is no spring system to force the pads away from the rotor. Shoe brakes have return springs, disk brakes don't.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 02/18/14 at 21:13:08

+1... bobert...
Some drag is normal... (enough for the disk to be too hot to touch after a ride)...

It's not a problem unless it's actually dragging the bike to a stop...
If you can coast some distance... you're okay...

....(when you do brake pads,... don't forget to lube the guide pins as well as the piston)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #3 - 02/18/14 at 21:36:40

Thanks for the reply guys. Feels like when rolling around the garage that something is definitely dragging. When I hold the front wheel up I can only spin it about one revolution. All my other savages spin freely.

Curious as if there is anything to especially look out for when putting the rebuild kit in. Thought maybe someone has been down this road before. I'll let you all know if it takes care of the problem.

So far I've cleaned and lubed the caliper piston and guide pins. Thought maybe there was a sticky spot on the piston so replaced pads thinking it would get the piston in a different spot. Still dragging.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/18/14 at 22:38:35

If you just put in new pads,... you may have installed pads for a Dp bike... they will fit, but are thicker, and will drag...
I only mention it because it has happened before...

If so,... just sand a little away...

It sounds like you did a thorough job...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 02/18/14 at 23:06:34

been a long time since I did my fronts so wrenchers correct my grey matter shortcomings

pull the pads and gently squeeze the pistons/calipers??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #6 - 02/19/14 at 05:41:46

Worked the piston out then back in lots of times. It works freely it just doesn't back off quite enough after everything is all back together. Put those pads in after it was dragging thinking there might have been a sticky spot on the piston.

With the caliper off and still hooked up with no pads. If you watch the piston as you pull the lever it moves out. When you release the lever the piston moves back a little each time. I'm thinking that its not moving back in enough after the lever is pulled. Thinking that the piston in the master actually sucks the caliper piston back a little after you apply the brakes..... Just not enough. So I ordered the kit.

Is there anything special to look for when putting the kit in? Was hoping there was a "how to" on it somewhere that I couldn't find.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/19/14 at 12:45:06

That sounds like normal action for disk brakes. Brembo brakes for serious hot rods positively pull the pads away from the disk. Regular brakes rely on vibration to completely disengage them.,IF you have to press the caliper back on, the pads are too thick, Check what pads you bought & come back & tell exactly which ones you have. There are guys here who know which ones must be clearanced to fit. If you ride the bike & its wrong, youll likely overheat the disk & warp it., But slight contact is normal,I can hear mine when I spin the front tire with it off the ground, but it doesnt rub hard enough to matter,, If you can spin the front tire & it doesnt come to a stop in 2 turns, youre probably okay,, Id wait on more opinionsd on that tho.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:29:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front brake dragging just a bit.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.