Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
CUSTOM REAR FENDER...steel (Read 502 times)
victorbsa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CUSTOM REAR FENDER...steel
02/17/14 at 17:08:12

i didn't want to have to, but, when I see the bobbers you guys made, the ones with a custom fender look better than the bulky stock job. It covers more of the tire and looks awkward after outher things are cleaned up. Any ideas for items or sources?
Looked on some sites and after an hour, and difference in prices from $25-$200 I  am just as lost as when i started.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: CUSTOM REAR FENDER...steel
Reply #1 - 02/17/14 at 21:31:12

I used this one
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MUDGUARD-REAR-CUSTOM-6-WIDE-FLAT-BOBBED-RAW-/16094...
trimmed it down to fit.
If it's closer to you, this
http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/6-raw-steel-flat-bobber-fender.html
or this
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-c...
Looks the same, except for the little kick at one end.
The front one is from an old BSA of some sort.
I trimmed them down til they looked like this:

DSCF6357.JPG
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 02/17/14 at 21:36:34

And this:

DSCF6356.JPG
  IP Logged
seedubs1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/18/14 at 06:26:38

Here you go:

http://www.trailerpartsstore.com/5210_single-fender.html

$35ish shipped to your dore.

It's 16 gauge steel and 5.5" wide, and has a diameter of 27", which gives you 1" of gap between the tire and the fender (assuming a standard 25"ish tire).

It's perfect for the savage.  Best fit you'll find for a flat trailer type fender.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 02/18/14 at 09:28:14

I use either Northern Tool or Tractor supply for my fenders.
Depends how long you want...I've gotten two out of it.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200330793_200330793?isSearch=1263

I use this one for 2 up.Can't remember the number.Tractor Supply.It has flats on both ends.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/18/14 at 10:06:27

Have a look at Serowbots bike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 02/18/14 at 15:04:01

Anything other than a generic FatBob Harley/VN800A rear fender is fine.
I don't even like those on the bikes they were intended for. And the stock rear fender does give the machine a bit of a cartoon look.

I went full coverage, Shovelhead FLH rear with tombstone taillight. Still need to order a replica K model front fender. Couldn't see turning it into a baby Drifter or micro Chief, but a modernized Indian Warrior/Brave, why not... they didn't have valanced fenders, so...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Madgrinders
YaBB Newbies

One point of view.

East Los Angeles, California
Reply #7 - 09/05/21 at 14:39:24

im interested in getting one of these tractor trailer fenders, but the one link is from 2014 and its no longer available.  The guy who wrote it (seedub1) hasn't been online since 2014 as well.  Ive tried looking at other tractor places, but non are the sizes he states, any help or a link is appreciated.  thank you.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #8 - 09/06/21 at 09:44:27

victorbsa wrote on 02/17/14 at 17:08:12:
i didn't want to have to, but, when I see the bobbers you guys made, the ones with a custom fender look better than the bulky stock job. It covers more of the tire and looks awkward after outher things are cleaned up. Any ideas for items or sources?
Looked on some sites and after an hour, and difference in prices from $25-$200 I  am just as lost as when i started.

Look at other models and makes. You may find a fender from a different bike that can be adapted fairly easily. If you find one that you like you can probably find one on ebay or craigslist then a lot cheaper than buying from the dealer.

IP Logged
Madgrinders
YaBB Newbies

One point of view.

Reply #9 - 09/08/21 at 02:40:11

Good thinking fast650. I actually prefer to repurpose other parts to suit my needs. I'm cutting, trimming and test fitting an old Honda rear fender on one of my savages. Looks like I can make it work with minimal modification. I'll post pics when I get it finished.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #10 - 09/08/21 at 10:31:18

Madgrinders wrote on 09/08/21 at 02:40:11:
Good thinking fast650. I actually prefer to repurpose other parts to suit my needs. I'm cutting, trimming and test fitting an old Honda rear fender on one of my savages. Looks like I can make it work with minimal modification. I'll post pics when I get it finished.

That is what I did on mine. A VS1400 rear fender adapts fairly easily and being a Suzuki part, the tail/brake light assembly uses the same connector so no wiring changes to mess with. Plug and play. Smiley
It is about a half inch wider than the stock fender so that does take some trickery to mount the backrest. I milled a quarter inch from each rail to compensate for the extra width. The idea was to make every modification appear that it came from the factory this way while staying with all Suzuki parts so that replacements can be sourced easily if needed.

Fender_From-Rear.jpg
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #11 - 09/08/21 at 10:32:01

And the side shot.

Fender_Side_View.jpg
  IP Logged
Madgrinders
YaBB Newbies

One point of view.

Reply #12 - 09/08/21 at 17:34:19

That looks good. Seems like a flawless fit., as with everything, I know it took work to look so good. Excellent job. Thanks for the pics.... More ideas brewing.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #13 - 09/08/21 at 23:48:59

Actually that was pretty easy to adapt. On the LS, the bolts go in from the underside of the fender and thread into the frame near the seat. On the VS the bolts go in from the top side and thread into the fender. Being wider, you can't just mount it like the LS fender because of where bolts would be located then. I made a steel strap that bolts to the frame where the stock fender bolts up, then drilled through that strap where the VS bolts go though. Then I drilled the two holes at the bottom front so that part mounts the same as the LS fender did. The only big change needed was to cut the clearance for the belt drive since the VS is shaft drive.

The VS side rails are different and the holes in the fender are wrong for the LS rails, so I welded the holes closed and redrilled for the LS rails. Not hard at all, it just took several mockups to get the locations for the holes worked out.

IP Logged
Madgrinders
YaBB Newbies

One point of view.

Reply #14 - 09/09/21 at 13:48:12

I know exactly what you mean fast650, great amount of info, got my mind working good today.  I have already got the bottom of my fender mounted decent, had to drill out the fender to match the holes on the bottom part of the mount...now im going to do what you did and make a cross bar mount for the upper holes (123mm apart I think I measured) and ill utilize the cross bar as the mount for the upper part of my fender with some spacers or bungs.  Good call on the repurposing of other parts. I prefer this than buying something outright.  thanks again for the advice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 04:11:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › CUSTOM REAR FENDER...steel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.