Send Topic Print
BMW R Nine T (Read 120 times)
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
BMW R Nine T
02/17/14 at 05:23:55

Another interesting new bike with classic styling.
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/10/17/2014-bmw-r-ninet-first-look-review-photos/
When you go to the link click on the picture in the article and you will get to a nice photo gallery.

I'm drooling over this bike too.  Come on spring and warm weather so I can get reacquainted with the bikes I already own  Roll Eyes

Cabin fever bad Gerry  

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: BMW R Nine T
Reply #1 - 02/17/14 at 08:44:21

Ok, what do you think of horizontally opposing pistons?  I like mine to go up and down.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 02/17/14 at 09:02:42

Sweet bike, more street fighterish then classic to me.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #3 - 02/17/14 at 09:40:15

pg wrote on 02/17/14 at 08:44:21:
Ok, what do you think of horizontally opposing pistons?  I like mine to go up and down.

Guzzi riders have a saying when discussing BMW... "Moto Guzzi's have perky jugs and BMW's have droopy jugs".

But really I have always liked "Boxer" engines.  VW, Porsche.  My favorite car has always been a 911, especially in GT racing.  Never owned one though.  Never owned a BMW motorcycle either.

Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 02/17/14 at 13:33:21

I like it. Looks like BMW has been watching the custom bike scene. Lots of cool boxer based cafe racers,brats and trackers been built lately. This one looks the goods,and better than a guzzi stone. As a FBMWO, I think the boxer motor is fine. Has character,good looks, a  different sound and doesn't fall all the way over when you drop it. It's the closest I have come to a maintenance free motorcycle,too .

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 02/18/14 at 07:14:24

pg wrote on 02/17/14 at 08:44:21:

If you look at engine technology and go beyond the American theorem that "V8 is good, all others are cr*p",
then you'll realize that there are plenty of different engine designs that work for SOME engines, not for others.

2 cylinders ? Moto Guzzi and BMW have got it right, 90°Vtwin and flat-twin are inherently balanced.

But then, let us not forget Ducati Desmos   Cool   [In the picture below, center cam is to close the valves, left and right cams to open]

Not so Harley Davidson with a skewered V-twin which is inherently inbalanced
(hence its trademark "potato-potato", caused by unevenly firing cylinders)
(notice the green and red cams not perfectly aligned, that is the clue to the uneven firing)

Else, in-line twins require so many balancing forces, you may as well look at the "Neander" design (made in Germany, all patents paid for)

http://www.neander-motorcycle.com/shortversion-neu/main_en.html

3 Cylinders ? Only Laverda, Yamaha and Triumph come to mind.
The point being that while Laverda started with 180°crankshafts, researched  and eventually produced the "Jota" (read it "yota"),
Yamaha and Triumph stayed true to the 180° design with a vibrating engine and uneven firing (I refer to the classic Tridents and XS750 of the '70s and '80s)

Pictured, the 120° Laverda crankshaft and pistons

4 cylinders ? Flat four is THE design to go (see Honda Goldwing) but V4 (Honda VF) is also smooth and a better powerhouse than an in-line four (any run of the mill jap...)

Oh, yes... BMW K75/K100 ? Just a variant of in-line triples and fours... yawn...  Wink

« Last Edit: 02/20/14 at 02:38:48 by mpescatori »  

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 02/18/14 at 08:29:40

I've always preferred the sound and torque of a twin of any configuration...
...but with BMW's,.. that feeling of the bike leaning right as you gas it from a stop freaks me out...
I can also live without the complexity of a shaft drive...
I tend to whack my shins on the cylinders as well... Huh...

The bike looks nice though...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 02/18/14 at 09:10:04

Not really ever spoken but the reason V 90's are better is the primary and secondary vibrations are better cancelled.
With our single, the counter balancer dampens the primary vertical vibe.
But over compensates for the secondary or fore/aft vibe.
Most people are sensitive to the vertical, but not the fore/aft vibe.
With a V90, both vibes can be better cancelled.

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 02/18/14 at 10:06:04

Quote:
If you look at engine technology and go beyond the American theorem that "V8 is good, all others are cr*p"

I'm sure they put together some phenomenal designs with some with extremely sound engineering.  I just prefer them to go up and down, I guess it’s because I’ve ridden singles for so long.  My other bike is a KLR 650.  I do like the thought of an in-line 2 cylinder though (BMW F 800 GS). It would be a pretty expensive gaffe if I didn’t really like it.  So for the time being, I’ll just keep it simple and ride the singles.   Smiley

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #9 - 02/18/14 at 13:37:09

pg wrote on 02/18/14 at 10:06:04:
Quote:
If you look at engine technology and go beyond the American theorem that "V8 is good, all others are cr*p"

I'm sure they put together some phenomenal designs with some with extremely sound engineering.  I just prefer them to go up and down, I guess it’s because I’ve ridden singles for so long.  My other bike is a KLR 650.  I do like the thought of an in-line 2 cylinder though (BMW F 800 GS). It would be a pretty expensive gaffe if I didn’t really like it.  So for the time being, I’ll just keep it simple and ride the singles.   Smiley

KLR 650, that's another bike I would like to have.  There are lots of trails and public land just a couple hours north of me.  Always thought it would be cool to set a KLR up with pelican cases, tank bag and go camping on the trails.  Unlike most riders I never had a dirt bike so a KLR seems like it would be fun to play with... gently  Smiley.  I'm too old for aggressive dirt biking.
Gerry

PS
I like the BMW 800 GS too.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #10 - 02/18/14 at 16:44:21

The KLR can do it all and it is great on the street as well.  It soaks up the bumps really well.  Here's a pic.

PB030064_001.JPG

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 02/19/14 at 08:46:09

The last pic in the article, the way the light hits the fuel tank lines... looks like the seat rail on a dork mobile Harley FL, old Indian Chief, or Drifter 1500.

Roll Eyes

I'm less than impressed with BMW since my 1950s model split in half riding it a week after I bought it and got it running. Good engine, great aesthetics,  but the rest of it left something to be desired, like, shall we say, everything...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #12 - 02/20/14 at 02:42:30

WD wrote on 02/19/14 at 08:46:09:
The last pic in the article, the way the light hits the fuel tank lines... looks like the seat rail on a dork mobile Harley FL, old Indian Chief, or Drifter 1500.

Roll Eyes

I'm less than impressed with BMW since my 1950s model split in half riding it a week after I bought it and got it running. Good engine, great aesthetics,  but the rest of it left something to be desired, like, shall we say, everything...

Did you ever check the frame ? Sand it down and repaint it ? Or just "got her running" ?

You can't expect a 50-60 year old piece of machinery to be integrally sound... "just because"...  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 07:33:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › BMW R Nine T

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.