Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Modifying Carb... Need input! (Read 117 times)
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Modifying Carb... Need input!
02/16/14 at 03:52:01

Hi Guys!

If you reply please do in English (Haha) Seriously...

I have a Custom Chopper/Bobber that has been reworked to the Max using a Suzuki Crystal 110cc Jet Cooled Block. Since I am in Thailand and the engine/bike was produced here I was able to find a Head and Cylinder to complete my task.

I was able to find Cylinder that was bored 125 over and piston and Head to match with a 10:5 to 1 Compression ratio. Bike runs good after I increased exhaust tube from .75" O.D. to 1.25 I.D and used a Suzuki 125cc Expansion Chamber and silencer.

I always had good plug readings in normal driving and Extended drives on Super Highway. Speeds up to 85/90 kph. This was at a range of 5250 RPM. WOT is a different story. Now to remind you this is a 2T Engine.... In 4th gear with WOT I can turn over 8500 RPM plug reading at showing a lean mixture at this point, Exhaust Sound is a deep Baretone Growl, Exhaust has been changed from a .75" O.D. tube to a 1.25" I.D. also uses a 125cc Expansion Chamber and Silencer.

I have done what I can to the stock Carb. Oil Injection is not an issue as it is connected to block and reed cage.

I have a Kei Hin Carb from a 2004 Honda Sonic 125cc, reason we chose this Carb is because it has a 28mm enlarged Ventura and a spring loaded throttle return. Only Issue is the Pressure activated piston that operates needle valve. I know carb is from a 4T engine and valve is opened with back-pressure as throttle is advanced.

This is where my request for help lays.

1. Can I use Exhaust pressure? Modifying exhaust tube @ entrance to Expansion Chamber on Top of tube to not catch oil. Adding a fitting to attach High Temp Silicone Tube and forming a stainless tube to custom fit from Carb to this fitting? Pressure here would decrease with RPM reduction I believe.

2. Could I use Vacuum to open, thus blocking off and sealing Pressure input port? (Since I have Machineshop on Property) and either redesigning top plate to carb or making new with Vacuum Port added. I would need to know what RPM I should have a fully open Ventura (piston/needle valve fully raised) I have a half dozen springs here to modify tention and adjust how much Vacuum is needed to control movement of piston. I am worried here about the response time RPM to return to Idle, maybe not an issue because throttle plate shuts down Vacuum also I believe.

3. Or I can create a new Carb Top to fit this Chamber? Machining manual linkage to connect with Throttle Plate/Cable action to operate Pressure cylinder making it work alongside throttle plate. If I choose this option Needle valve would work with Throttle Plate thus not flooding engine and sync'd with throttle. Giving instant response from Idle to WOT and Back to Idle.

I have already Built a Intake Adapter to bolt to a New Suzuki Crystal reed cage intake that was opened up to 28mm and tube end to match and fit flush against carb using Silicone tube and 2 clamps for vacuum tight seal. Adapter makes a 90 degree turn to the right side of engine so cables and fuel lines would be unrestricted and protected up under Petrol Tank. This would also place Air Filter in same position has Harley Sportster. Using same style, reverse flow (Air drawn from area around Carb, not from street side or sides of filter) but from bottom up through foam/paper filter as we have on most stock bikes here in thailand (Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki).

This does 2 things:

1. Lets me use foam with oil coating and corrigated Paper backing. Since aircleaner is rectangular in shape 4"High x 8"Wide 2.5"Deep. Giving me 2 air port to draw from, both being 2"Wide x 1.5"High and using the corigated paper backing triples filter surface. Plus Machine Air filter cover to be Chromed and a High Polished smooth exterior. (Actually I used element from Honda dream and modified to fit my application)

2. Giving me a 5 minute element clean or replace proceedure. Also gives front access to Carb removal

Any Ideas on this on this modification please discuss...
Here is rear view of bike... this is a shot of the 110/80/18 rear tire... Plenty of room to go wider, will try a 120/80/17 next if still expansion room will go to 140/80/17 (would like to go to 1 150/80/17 or a 150/70/17).
-DavidRide On

« Last Edit: 02/16/14 at 23:31:02 by davidstipek »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Modifying Carb... Need input!
Reply #1 - 02/16/14 at 06:28:09

The slide is operated by vacuum in a Constant Velocity carb.  These carbs are designed to be used on 4 stroke engines, in order to help avoid the overly lean condition that can result when the throttle is opened quickly.  From a performance standpoint the Constant Velocity carbs are not ideal.......they are best at smoothness.  When you want performance most often the Constant Velocity carb is replaced with a round of flat slide carb.

I don't know of any 2 stroke engine that uses a Constant Velocity carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 02/16/14 at 07:49:23

What the heck is a Suzuki Crystal 110cc  ???    sez you?

Why it is simply the most RYCA'd motorwhizzer that all of time of course.

It uses a two stroke engine of course, so we will let our two stroke eggspurt Mr. Bill tell you all about Klotz and how it can keep you from ever having to do maintenance on your motorwhizzer, ever.

Other than that, you are in the wrong forum, actually you are in the wrong site entirely.

All you will get here is a few curious folks asking you what the heck a Suzuki Crystal 110cc is ..... and why are you here trying to ask us questions about it?

Me, I think its cute.  

Total displacement of it is on the order of what I would hope to get as additional displacement whenever I overbore my stock Savage jug and put in a big arsed piston.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/16/14 at 08:12:39

That's one angry looking gnat!... Grin...

It would be fun to ride the pants off one for a day... Cool...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 02/16/14 at 08:37:06

I've never seen a CV carb on a 2-stroke either.  I doubt you'll ever get the vacuum necessary to get that carb to operate correctly all across the rpm range.  Every 2-stroke I've ever had has had a carb where the slide is directly operated by the cable. Or, if a tiny 2-stroke, one of those tiny little pumper carbs like on a weed-eater.

I bet that little bike is great fun to ride.  You can't really get anything like that here.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #5 - 02/16/14 at 09:43:38

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/16/14 at 07:49:23:

What the heck is a Suzuki Crystal 110cc  ???    sez you?

Why it is simply the most RYCA'd motorwhizzer that all of time of course.

http://cdn.sulitstatic.com/images/2012/0127/060741529_06034434449d0bd34060d07...

It uses a two stroke engine of course, so we will let our two stroke eggspurt Mr. Bill tell you all about Klotz and how it can keep you from ever having to do maintenance on your motorwhizzer, ever.

Other than that, you are in the wrong forum, actually you are in the wrong site entirely.

All you will get here is a few curious folks asking you what the heck a Suzuki Crystal 110cc is ..... and why are you here trying to ask us questions about it?

Me, I think its cute.  

Total displacement of it is on the order of what I would hope to get as additional displacement whenever I overbore my stock Savage jug and put in a big arsed piston.

Hmmm...
Yes I think your Bike picture is cute... In perspective quite different than Mine...
Picture is actually before Engine modifications and adjustment of wheel/tire sizes and the addition of the longer Suzuki forks and disc brakes in front. Roll Eyes
I was here actually because this site helped me with my Charging issue... I believe it is a Suzuki Site... Maybe different bikes (cc's) but still Suzuki.. Cheesy
Actually is no longer a RC110E Engine as it is carrying a Custom Cylinder/Head and Piston. For a while is was dressed as a Chopper (with Custom Frame) but speed and Acceleration have us redoing bars and possibly the rear brake foot and shift positions. From front as Choppers Nomlly have to a rear location as speed and comfort may dictate... Don't Know yet. Depends after I do some more Final Gear Mix/Matching right now I am using 17T/40T. Does well but Rpm tells me there is more... down there Wink
When I can run with most the Bigger CC'd Bikes here in Thailand and have their respect as using "Old School" and mixing it with new.. The Suzuki/Yamaha/Honda crowd don't seem to mind be being around... In fact most of the time if they are going for a Ride... They come and get me
This Kei Hin Carb does not have a Vacuum operated Slide/needle valve. it is operated by pressure (Positive + Pressure... not Negative - Vacuum). But any way I was going to try to use pressure from Exhaust at inlet to Expansion Chamber. The other option I was going to try was to machine a new endcap over side and add linkage to manually work with the cable actuated throttle plate. This would work both together. Would be fairly simple to Sinc with adjustable linkage.
Problem is normal throttle activation at Humane Levels Wink give us a correct plug reading all the way to 7400 RPM. It is the itch to do a WOT as this is a 4 speed automatic and being able to twist trottle and click gears at correct (sane) times so not to over rev. and ride it up and over 8900-9000 RPM that give me a leaning reading... not dangerously lean... but Not where I would want to sustain for any length of time... as I only have 2 more pistons, one extra Cylinder and 2 heads for rebuilds.

As Steve H said... Yes it is fun to ride! Idle is a little on the high end as it is kinda like a fueler at the Drag Strip. Have to increase to get warmed up... then as heat is built slow down.... This is where it reminds everyone and catches not only their ear but their attention also. 95+ Octane and Castrol Oil get everyone Grinning.

I really need to get some Newer Pictures tomorrow as it now has a 120/80/17 rear tire which with a Bleach Burnout drops everyone's Jaw... Grin
David
(Thanks Steve H. for your help with the charging issue... Acually issue was everything was wired 12VDC. Not letting Battery Charge in City Rides... Changing back to Headlight/Brake Light 12VAC and adding a direct 12VDC line to Starter Relay Corrected issue. Just for fun I also changed from a 12V/5AH Battery to a 12V/7AH. Now there is no issue with battery not getting sufficient charge. Cool)

« Last Edit: 02/16/14 at 23:24:19 by davidstipek »  

100_2045_-_Copy.JPG
  IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #6 - 02/19/14 at 23:28:12

here are some Pics as of 2/19/2014

100_2101.JPG
  IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #7 - 02/19/14 at 23:30:34

Here is the Carb in question... Left side showing throttle return spring

100_2104.JPG
  IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #8 - 02/19/14 at 23:33:02

Right  side... showing Hose connection for pressure (+) not Vacuum (-) black Male fitting @ top rear of carb (left @ top)

100_2103.JPG
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 02/20/14 at 02:36:44

davidstipek wrote on 02/19/14 at 23:28:12:

Guys... have you noticed the front fork ?

Have you noticed the disk brake ?

It that what I think it is... the Savage's missing lil'brother to having a dual disc setup ?

Roll Eyes

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #10 - 02/20/14 at 04:23:35

mpescatori wrote on 02/20/14 at 02:36:44:

It that what I think it is... the Savage's missing lil'brother to having a dual disc setup ?

Roll Eyes

Here you can see Electronic speedometer sensor (Rear of fork @ Top of Rim) and 2 rim attached magnets (Located here about 1200 hrs and 0600 hrs positions). Seems I cannot post more then 1 picture at a time....

100_2093.JPG
  IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #11 - 02/20/14 at 04:31:32

davidstipek wrote on 02/20/14 at 04:23:35:

Roll Eyes

Here you can see Electronic speedometer sensor (Rear of fork @ Top of Rim) and 2 rim attached magnets (Located here about 1200 hrs and 0600 hrs positions). Seems I cannot post more then 1 picture at a time....

Here is the rear view of the 12/80/17 rear tire (mounted on 2.50x17 rim). as you can see still plenty of room between forks or Chain and fork to go 140/80/17 or maybe 150/80/17 (I have a 4.25x17 steel rim to do with) or do you think the 120/80/17 will get wider and lower if I mount on the 4.25x17 rim?

100_2102.JPG
  IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #12 - 02/20/14 at 05:21:28

davidstipek wrote on 02/20/14 at 04:31:32:

Roll Eyes

Here is the rear view of the 12/80/17 rear tire (mounted on 2.50x17 rim). as you can see still plenty of room between forks or Chain and fork to go 140/80/17 or maybe 150/80/17 (I have a 4.25x17 steel rim to do with) or do you think the 120/80/17 will get wider and lower if I mount on the 4.25x17 rim?

Actually this is a Suzuki Crystal RC110E

Suzuki_Crystal.jpg
  IP Logged
davidstipek
YaBB Newbies

Suzuki's Whatever
Size Bike... Rock!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply #13 - 02/20/14 at 05:23:44

davidstipek wrote on 02/20/14 at 05:21:28:
davidstipek wrote on 02/20/14 at 04:31:32:

Roll Eyes

Actually this is a Suzuki Crystal RC110E

Here a Photo of Shell Oils Class Winner... as Rider catches his breath... (Suzuki Crystal RC110)

Current_Class_Bike.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 09:36:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › Modifying Carb... Need input!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.