Batteries (Read 138 times)
procrastinator
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brownsville,Texas.
Batteries
02/13/14 at 15:33:50

I know this might be a dumb question but dose your battery charge while you ride ??  Because technically you don't have a alternator like in a car. I have a fairly new batt but it seams like it not holding a charge.

" might as well be walking on the sun "
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Batteries
Reply #1 - 02/13/14 at 15:41:04

technically, you have a 3 phase generator.
and if it works will put out up to 100 3 phase ac.
which is rectified and regulated to ~14v to charge your bat.

WWW   IP Logged
procrastinator
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brownsville,Texas.
Reply #2 - 02/13/14 at 21:12:15

and I'm sure there's a way to check to see if that's working correctly???
Which might be how ???

" might as well be walking on the sun "
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/14/14 at 05:01:23

The easiest way to check that any vehicle is charging, is to put a voltmeter on the battery with the engine off.  The battery voltage should be around 12 volts.  Then start the engine and with it running the voltage shold be up around 14 volts +/- a bit.

-OR-

You can go to the Technical Section on this forum, and look at the Table of Contents with links.....and you can look to see if the information you want is there......before you post a question.  There is information in that area that has what you are looking for.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 02/14/14 at 20:56:14

procrastinator wrote on 02/13/14 at 15:33:50:
I know this might be a dumb question but dose your battery charge while you ride ??  Because technically you don't have a alternator like in a car. I have a fairly new batt but it seams like it not holding a charge.

We do have an alternator like in a car,.. not a generator.  It is not a separate lump hanging on brackets, but electrically it is pretty much the same as in a car.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/14/14 at 21:33:03

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 08/31/07 at 06:24:59:
All,
 I keep see many people call the charging system an Alternator.  This is wrong.  It is a generator.

Why??

An Alternator is a "set "of coils, one spinning, one fixed.  One of them gets a voltage from the battery (or other source) which creates a electro-magnet effect.  Most modern Alternators have a regulator to adjust this voltage so you get a faster recovery.  But, an alternator will work poorly if the voltage drops too low.    Now, this sounds like your getting enery from nowhere, but, don't forget that you're burning fuel and stealing some of that energy to convert to electricty.

A Generator has a coil and a set of magnets.  It will work with a dead battery or a fully charged battery.   Minor problem with generators is the faster they spin the more voltage they create.  That's why there are voltage regulators.  Bigger issue is, if they spin too slow then they don't give enough voltage.

Now,......many people think that a generator makes DC voltage and a alternator makes AC voltage.  They see the rectifier on the bike (thingy that makes AC into DC )and thus think they have an alternator.  This is WRONG.  All generators and alternators create AC voltage.  To get DC voltage, they use rectifiers, either external or internal to the unit.

So,  the LS650 has a generator because it has magnets spinning around the stator coil(s).

I have been schooled... now so have you.

WWW   IP Logged
ChrisTech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/15/14 at 04:19:15

You are both right..there is still only one way to make electricity, good ole magnet and coil.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #7 - 02/16/14 at 13:43:58

Not strictly true...you can stroke a cat, drag your shoes on the carpet or sandblast a piece of plastic. All somewhat difficult to use in a motorcycle application but there you go... Tongue

IP Logged
ChrisTech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/16/14 at 16:55:55

darnit.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 02/16/14 at 20:07:17

I just put on my ol' fluffy housecoat, then walk across my wood floor, reach down to pet the cat.... POW!!!  

I don't know who gets the worse of it... me or the dang cat... Smiley

And the wife and I have learned to touch with fingers before lips meet..... talk about electrifying kiss.... sheesh!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
ChrisTech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/17/14 at 04:02:54

Ever think about installing a humidifier in your house, cuts down on the static big time. Hvac tech here...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:22:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Batteries

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.