Timing or Carburetor? (Read 129 times)
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Timing or Carburetor?
02/10/14 at 12:30:01

Per the guidelines here's the info on my bike and myself:

It's an '87 with  36K miles on it. I did the belt to chain drive conversion. Did the verslavy mod (i think that's what someone called it)  to the timing chain tensioner at around 17K miles. didn't know it was a common mod and that it even had a name... at the time it was just a logical "temporary" fix i came up with but i guess it's a keeper... (unlike some other ill-advised temp fixes that I've come up with) ... that's it, as far as modifications go.
I know a thing or two about especially automotive mechanics although I don't do it for a living.

So recently i changed the timing chain and refurbished the rocker arm tappets. The problem was, i put it all back together, It starts without a problem, but when i go full throttle, it will rev all the way up nicely and then it sort of chokes and revs down for about half a second, then revs up for half a second, down, up, down, up ... the whole time, the throttle is wide open, also backfires randomly during the process. The up-down revving  seems to have a steady frequency, half second up, half second down ish... but the backfiring happens randomly. i suspect either the carb caught some dirt or something while i was fixing the other stuff. Or i got the timing wrong. That brings me to something else... Is there any timing mark on the other side of the crankshaft? the right side, if you're sitting on the bike i mean.... Because i can't see the mark on the left side... i see the groove on the inside of the hole where you unscrew that big round cap but not the mark  behind the crankshaft bolt, it literally looks like someone filed it off.... So i found TDC by rotating and feeling the piston in the up position... But i noticed the piston stays up for a little bit even if you continue to rotate a few degrees... or I thought it did.... plus, i was rotating the crankshaft clockwise to find TDC... i've read that you're supposed to do it counter clockwise so i'm mentioning that so someone might be very kind and explain why it makes a difference.

Another thing is that, even without letting it reach the point where it starts giving this problem, i.e. without going full throttle... it just feels slower, lazier... It could be that i'm using a Honda CX650 as a backup bike in the meantime (faster) so now my savage feels slow... but it doesn't feel quite right. and given the symptoms... could the timing be a bit off? should i start by cleaning the carb? I'd appreciate any help.

IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Re: Timing or Carburetor?
Reply #1 - 02/10/14 at 12:48:48

this is a photo I used when I set my timing,managed to fluke it and got it set first go  Smiley

Cam_Shaft_Timing.jpg

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/10/14 at 13:01:51

Thanks, what about the bottom mark? is there one on that same side of the engine?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/10/14 at 17:02:37

The crank is set by pulling the plug in the left side case, theres a notch that lines up, kinda upper right, IIRC. Gotta turn it CCW to get it there & then make sure it didnt drift any before ya button things down,
SO,, Get it on TDC, lifters should be free, & check that thing on the left,,
Or, set the crank TDC & check lifters,, either way, they hafta agree..
Did ya do anything to the carb while it was down?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/11/14 at 04:51:52

nothing to the carb at all... just removed it, put it in a box while i worked on the other stuff, then put it back in.  I was only able to work on the bike for a couple hours on saturdays so the carb was down for about a week or two. Based on the symptoms (revving up and down on its own and backfiring while throttle wide open) i thought it must be either timing is a little off or the carb needs a cleaning.  

The other thing is... i can't set the crank using the mark on the left side case. The notch is there when i remove the plug, but the mark on the crankshaft is gone, filed off or something. Are there other marks anywhere else to set the crank?

Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
SavageCat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central VA
Reply #5 - 02/11/14 at 07:51:53

You seem fairly on top of things so sorry if this suggestion seems basic....but what petcock do you have? Its a pretty common issue on these bikes - just wondering if its a fuel delivery issue? Or as others mentioned, maybe the carb needs a good cleaning.

Test your Petcock - http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 02/11/14 at 08:19:49

Why would anyone file off the timing mark?... Undecided...

Check again,.. I think you're just missing it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/11/14 at 11:31:07

.but what petcock do you have? Its a pretty common issue on these bikes - just wondering if its a fuel delivery issue? Or as others mentioned, maybe the carb needs a good cleaning.

Test your Petcock - http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1 [/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have a look at that too

IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/11/14 at 11:43:57

Serowbot wrote on 02/11/14 at 08:19:49:
Why would anyone file off the timing mark?... Undecided...

Check again,.. I think you're just missing it...

why indeed? I know, right? but i understated it, sorry, it doesn't look filed off... it looks like someone took an angle grinder to it... I'm sure I'm not missing it, It's gone!!!  I'll see if i can take a picture or something... anyway are there any other marks to set the crank? and what about the symptoms? (backfires, revs up and down... all during wide open throttle, plus it feels lazy). Actually, I'll try to take a video this weekend when i go back to where the bike is... And post a link or something so y'all can see/hear what i'm talking about, In the meantime, any other ideas?

Again, I appreciate your help everyone.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 02/11/14 at 12:12:51

If the mark is gone, the only other way I know is pull the plug & run a smooth wire in the hole, rotate the engine close to TDC, then probe the piston, slowly rotate the engine & hold onto that wire, stop when it stops coming up. If you go past by 3 or 4 degrees, meeehhh,, no bigggee,, the chain wont be a tooth off, Itll line up. YOull know its past tdc a hair, so if the chain "wants" the cam gear rotated Top of cam gear forward a few degrees, go with it, If you pass TDC w/ the piston a coupla degrees, then the line on the cam gear would be okay a little low on the front side, instead of perfectly level w/ the head.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/11/14 at 12:21:24

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/11/14 at 12:12:51:
If the mark is gone, the only other way I know is pull the plug & run a smooth wire in the hole, rotate the engine close to TDC, then probe the piston, slowly rotate the engine & hold onto that wire, stop when it stops coming up. If you go past by 3 or 4 degrees, meeehhh,, no bigggee,, the chain wont be a tooth off, Itll line up. YOull know its past tdc a hair, so if the chain "wants" the cam gear rotated Top of cam gear forward a few degrees, go with it, If you pass TDC w/ the piston a coupla degrees, then the line on the cam gear would be okay a little low on the front side, instead of perfectly level w/ the head.

Thank you, In that case I doubt it's the timing... or maybe i just hope it's not... I'll check the carb first and see how that goes...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:19:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Timing or Carburetor?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.