Blinkers (Read 307 times)
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Blinkers
02/10/14 at 10:01:19

So I got new aftermarket blinkers to install, but when I went to find the wires (like it says to do on the BCB DVD) I can't find any of them. Could the controls be fried and need to be replaced? The horn works, but not the blinkers. Any ideas?

1988 LS650 Suzuki Savage with about 46,000 miles on it. First motorcycle, first time working on it as well, but ready to learn how it all works!
  IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Re: Blinkers
Reply #1 - 02/10/14 at 10:07:43

So, you did find the wires and hooked up the blinkers, and now they don't work..?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/10/14 at 10:10:24

Your description is not clear......I can't tell for sure what you are having trouble with.

When you say you can't find the wires......and you mention a BCB kit....have you or someone else modified the bike?  Are you installing LED turns signals?

Can you better describe what is going on or post pictures....We have never seen this bike before and have no idea how to help?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 02/10/14 at 20:57:35

Thats my bad, I wrote that real quick before I ran out the door.

I have the Blue Collar Bobbers DVD to install my tail light and blinkers. I only have the tail light though, but in the DVD it has the steps to install their blinkers as well… So I found the wires that they use for their blinkers, I figured I could just mirror what they do and it would be the same for my new ones. When I found the right colored wires, they don't light my sensor up like in the DVD. The horn works though.

I haven't made any mods to the bike, and Im not positive what the past owners  did because they didn't write anything down or record anything they did. Does that make more sense? Sorry again for the quick post.

They are LED blinkers: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/44753/i/bikemaster-arrow-head-led-turn-s...

1988 LS650 Suzuki Savage with about 46,000 miles on it. First motorcycle, first time working on it as well, but ready to learn how it all works!
  IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #4 - 02/11/14 at 07:12:20

Before you mounted your new blinkers, did it have stock blinkers, and did they work? If not I would check and test the wires to see if they give + when they are switched to on. I don't know what it's called in english, but I use the tool in the pic, which is perfect for this kinda job.. If you are not getting any power, the next thing would be to check the blinker relay.

EDIT: Normally the bulbs should be 21w.. if your new led indicators requires more watts, that could be the problem too..

Provelampe_7_5cm.jpg
  IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 02/11/14 at 07:34:08

I have the same tool as that one to check for power lol.

When I got the bike, my buddy had already taken the back fender off (blinkers and tail light included) and tossed it into the garbage… Because he didnt think he needed it anymore since he got the Back Fender BCB kit. He also tossed the wire pigtail that he was supposed to use to wire in his tail light. So I got some new wire and plan on making my own pigtails for the tail light and blinkers.

He said the blinkers didn't work when he got it, and that he was just going to use hand signals instead. He didn't try looking for the blinker problem, he just knew they didn't work and didn't care if they did or not… I do care if they work...I haven't installed the blinkers yet, I wanted to trace the wires first so I could label them for easy install when I had the time to sit down and do the work all at once. Ill take some pics today and load them this afternoon to try and explain it a bit better

IP Logged
SavageCat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central VA
Reply #6 - 02/11/14 at 07:43:21

Hey, I recently changed to LED blinkers all around (btw FWIW - they arent as bright as standard bulbs, a few folks around here have made some custom LED blinkers with some wicked bright bulbs if you want to look around)...ok back to my original thought...when I swapped to LEDs I had to double check all my wires (a few were a bit wonky from when the previous owner ghetto bobbed the bike (aka, cut stuff away and stuffed wires everywhere...).

It took me a bit, but I looked at the wiring diagram in the tech section and got things going... but then my blinkers were flashing fast...found this thread (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1169825737/0) and reply 23 has a good picture of the new flasher. New flasher made my blinkers normal again!!

So, echoing what others have said...check your wires, get power, then install the lights. I would suggest the $9 flasher...took me 2 minutes to install (and who knows this may be your problem to start out with).

Have fun!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 02/11/14 at 08:13:42

Wires leading to the rear blinky's should be under the seat...
2 - black w/white bands = ground
1 - green = right
1 - black = left

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 02/11/14 at 08:21:32

Serowbot wrote on 02/11/14 at 08:13:42:
Wires leading to the rear blinky's should be under the seat...
2 - black w/white bands = ground
1 - green = right
1 - black = left

And......the wires for the front turn signals should still be inside the headlight bucket.  There will however be an extra wire (3rd) for each front turn signal as they also had running lights inside the original turns signals.

And yes...those turns signals you bought and the majority of the aftermarket LED turn signals that are made with a large number of tiny LED's don't work all that well in the daylight/sunlight.  There is a company that makes some that are DOT approved - and my thought is that if you want to be safe....the other drivers need to see the turn signal and brake light easily.
http://www.kandstech.com/index.php?page=universalsignals

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 02/13/14 at 08:00:58

Awesome, thanks for the heads up everybody. I'm going to go out this morning and tinker around. My thought process on these is: if I can get these working for the time being, replacing them with better blinkers/running lights will be easier in the future (because I like to label things unlike the previous owners lol).

I'm sure it had stock ones at some point, but I never saw them. My friend had them taken off and tossed before I bought it from him… Something I wish he wouldn't have done.

Ill take a bunch of pictures so you get an idea of what I'm working with

IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 02/13/14 at 13:44:49

Ok, so I went out with my BCB DVD and wired everything like it says. I made the pigtail so the blinkers would stay on with Key Power (I didn't have brown wire, so I used blue)  

Left side: Black wire to Red Blinker wire, Black Blinker wire to Brown (blue) Key Power, and Ground to Ground

Right side: Green wire to Red Blinker wire, Black Blinker wire to Brown Key Power, and Ground to Ground

My problem is, that I have Key Power but when I connect the pigtail the blinkers don't light up like they should. They also don't blink, but thats because I don't know if they are getting power anyways... While I was doing the work, I wired in my tail light, and it works!!!! I didn't have the original connector, so I cut it off and put quick-release bullet connectors on the wires. So instead of one plug, theres now three. Now I plugged the tail light into both Key Powers, to make sure they both had power and it worked with both. Thats why Im scratching my head about the blinkers. Does all of that make sense? I don't know if I'm explaining it well enough… The pictures I took are too big to load, so ill try to figure those out later...

IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #11 - 02/13/14 at 14:50:54

Are you sure that you have dual filament bulbs? And you did say they are LEDs.  And you did put in the correct flasher for LEDs?  LEDs will work off of your brown that goes to your tailight, key power etc.  but LEDs need flasher, resistors etc. to flash correctly when not connected to key power (brown).  That is why BCB will give you an LED tailight but not LED blinkers.  I'm just trying to help you get there......

IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 02/13/14 at 14:58:26

They're LED, no bulbs

IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #13 - 02/13/14 at 14:59:50

Did you change your flasher?

IP Logged
Crich422
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 02/13/14 at 15:00:11

Im trying to connect them to Key Power though, I read the thread about LEDs and I thought as long as I don't mind them blinking fast they would be fine...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:39:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Blinkers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.