donor bike questions (Read 299 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: donor bike questions
Reply #15 - 02/10/14 at 16:37:18

You will get no advantage from the 5 speed over the 4 except having to change an extra gear.  The ratios in high the same.  And, like others have said, the rest of that engine is real suspect.  It may have some serious hidden damage that you would find splitting the case.

As far as the title.  I would keep the bill of sale, title, etc., not title it unless I wanted to use the frame to make a rider of some sort or sell the frame to someone who wanted to license the bike they built with it.  If you have all of the paperwork to prove that it's yours, you can sell it to someone else without ever having the title in your name.  

Your state may have some law that requires you to title in x number of days of purchase whether or not you intend to license and ride it.  If so, there's a way to get title only without worrying about plates and stuff.  If you have a law like this and don't title within the allotted time, you might be subject to a big late fee when you try to transfer it to someone else or license it yourself.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #16 - 02/10/14 at 20:46:11

Michael L wrote on 02/10/14 at 10:17:30:
But another thing that would be worth swapping to the newer engine is the 5 speed gearbox.. I have never ridden a 4 speed myself, it might not be worth swapping to 5 speed..

I have an '86 4 speed and it runs fine.  I checked out the specs on the 5 speed and at the top end there is only 200 RPM difference.  I think the 5 spped was just for tighter gearing in the mid range.

IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 02/10/14 at 21:37:39

Thanks for input folks.

Today I called DOL and they told me that since I've got title I need to register bike. I'll talk to them during visit to understand better situation, but looks like in Washington state there is not much choice.

This leaves me with 2 options:

1. Take off all nice shiny parts from 2003 and install them on rusty 1986 (including starter stuff).
2. Install starter stuff on 1986 engine and install engine on 2003.

Since 1986 runs just fine now I hate to "fix what is not broken". But may be I'm missing something, any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Answering justin_o_guy2 question: I paid $50. After that I paid $80 for uhaul cargo van. And looks like I'll pay something to DOL. Nevertheless I think this was unbelievable deal.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 02/10/14 at 21:41:19

you can sell the bare frame with title.

every once in a while someone needs it.

If you title it, non-op it.  In CA, it's a one time fee.

WWW   IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 02/10/14 at 21:48:14

Thanks Verslagen, but may I ask you to clarify what "non-op" means here? Mark it as non operational? In case I'll decide to put 1986 engine to 2003 bike would I be able to mark it operational again?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 02/10/14 at 21:58:00

kt97679 wrote on 02/10/14 at 21:48:14:
Thanks Verslagen, but may I ask you to clarify what "non-op" means here? Mark it as non operational? In case I'll decide to put 1986 engine to 2003 bike would I be able to mark it operational again?

yep on both accounts.

If you're looking to maximize resell value, put the '86 in the '03.

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #21 - 02/11/14 at 19:14:55

Quote:
If you're looking to maximize resell value, put the '86 in the '03.

I have a low miles '86 engine in a 2005 frame. In AZ I believe the frame is titled but the engine is not so you can swap motors all day long in your frame with a title.

IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 02/11/14 at 19:59:55

Thanks folks for clarification. After some thought decided to install starter stuff from 2003 on 1986, ride this bikes until it has valid tabs (till next october) after that would install 1986 engine to 2003 frame.

IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 02/17/14 at 11:36:15

I took off engine from the bike and got alternator cover off. From my point of view it makes sense to swap starter gear and cover so I'll not have to drill the old cover.

What bothers me is that after removing cover I found part of piston and filings. What do you think, would it be safe to wash cover with coils and install it?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 02/17/14 at 11:59:58

Now you see why we don't recommend rebuilding the busted engine.

Check for any shorts of the coil windings to ground and each phase, then should be good to go.

WWW   IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 02/17/14 at 18:19:47

Thanks Verslagen! No shorts found, each coil is 0.21 ohms, looks good. I'll wash out all trash and would try to install it in the nearest future.

IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 02/27/14 at 23:17:12

Torque limiter gear with generator cover moved from 2003 engine to 1986 engine. Are there any other parts, that were improved on 2003 bike and can be moved to 1986?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 02/28/14 at 05:06:22

Kirill.....or any others that have both a 4 and 5 speed.

Next time you have the clutch cover off either or both of the engines, count the teeth on the crankshaft gear and clutch gear of the 4 and 5 speed engines....and see if they are the same.  If they are different it might be a way to alter the gearing a bit.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 02/28/14 at 08:07:25

probably only the '86 has a different ratio.

I know the '88 has the same as all the rest.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 02/28/14 at 08:10:08

Quote:
Are there any other parts, that were improved on 2003 bike and can be moved to 1986?

that's pretty much it.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:19:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › donor bike questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.