Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Driving bike during cold seasons. (Read 75 times)
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Driving bike during cold seasons.
02/09/14 at 11:25:11

Hi folks,

please share your experience how do you drive your bike when it is cold (if you do this at all). While you probably can battle cold with appropriate cloths what do you do regarding ice and snow?

Thanks,
Kirill.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Driving bike during cold seasons.
Reply #1 - 02/09/14 at 14:08:47

I've done it the last couple years to work. This year I nixed the idea when weighing the savings compared to risk of $$$$$ recuperating from its effect if falling.
I never fell, but came close, while other heavier bikes went down on ice in turns on grades..... you are at the whims of nature unless you have wheels of spikes.
Snow is very manageable if its dry, wet snow packs tightly into treads when compressed by the weight of the bike and is very hard to ride in.
Slow and steady is key to staying upright, and don't think for a moment sitting still at a stop is any easier, you must gingerly and carefully plant your feet as much as vertical as you can,slipping at a stop from a foot too far out is a sure drop and pulled groin from fighting the inevitable.
A windshield helps greatly to keep the freeze at bay, the bigger the better, I have the biggest one I could find that even shields my hands, which get cold first.... Too big of gloves lack the nimbleness you need on your brake and throttle. An under glove liner helps somewhat and allows for thinner gloves to be worn.
Finally, learn how to fall, it can make the difference of getting up, or being picked up....

OH, BTW..... don't think you're outta woods once the elements retreat. Oft they use sand to combat the conditions, once dry it will move to little mounds outside the natural wheel path/tracks in turns and corners, hit that at 40 and its down time....go low, lay it down, go high, trying to beat it and you can get some serious hurt. I find keeping my feet upon the pegs at ALL times while in a slide helps me keep my weight centered and lets the bike correct itself, an old dirt riding trick.... you get your legs flaying about you just added one more out of control element to an out of control situation....
Oh, and good life insurance if your the breadwinner  Huh        

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 02/09/14 at 20:17:12

I commute to work year round; although I only have to go 15 - 20 minutes.  As long as the roads are clean and dry I go.  Balaclava, ski gloves w/ liners, long johns, so on, it's not to bad.  It doesn't bother me to bad until it gets below 30.  I got tired of paying for gas in the f150.  I'm looking forward to warmer weather, but I dread the heat of the deep south.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/10/14 at 14:32:21

I really dont handle cold well,,So, I dress up heavy. If its really cold, like in the 30's, Ill be wearing wool socks with lighter socks over them, long johns, jeans, leather chaps & up top Ill have long johns, a long sleeve heavy cotton pull over, a sweat shirt & Ill also have insulated cover-alls & inside the coveralls Ill take a fleece lined pistol carrier, for a big pistol & open it wide & put the fleece lining against my shest. It stops the air that leaks thru the zipper. A balaclava is a must. I made one from the leather I trimmed off the leather chaps,It worked great, but a tee shirt sewn & cut to fit works real well,, too,.If its icy or wet and really cold, I wont ride.
\
Heres the thing,, people dont really LOOK for bikes when its pretty. When the weather gets ugly, they dont expect any bikes to be out, so they REALLY arent looking then,, so, if visibility is bad, I dont think its smart to ride.. Nice thing is, tho, IF ya go down, you wont get road rash!
OHH, Gloves,, Skiing is done in cold weather, so, I would think a good pair of ski gloves would work well,, especially since theyre designed for people using poles,Ive never had any. Id think a snow mobile suit would be good, but theyre rare in Texas..
I also have some big chaps I wear over the coveralls,,
Leather gloves with a brown jersey cotton glove inside works pretty good,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 02/10/14 at 14:38:34

36 degrees and raining on the way home from work.   Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/10/14 at 17:09:30

UGG! ( Punch in the gut sound) Just UGG!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 02/11/14 at 15:47:08

That's the truth.  But look at the 1o day forecast, it looks great!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 21:34:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › Driving bike during cold seasons.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.