Rotella...... (Read 200 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Rotella......
02/08/14 at 07:53:13

It is hard for me to believe the difference, from the very first fill, that Rotella made in my bike. If you recall I waited till my new bike warranty expired before I changed it just in case something happened to go wrong with it and they blamed I used the wrong oil....
So, I was wondering if anybody has used in it in any other engines?
I have a little 4X4 Ranger w/ 100,000 on it I use to dunk the boat and drive to work in the snow, etc. Its the V-6 fuel injection motor... Think it would work in that too with the same results?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Rotella......
Reply #1 - 02/08/14 at 08:30:42

It's my understanding that the ZDDP was removed from car oils because it was bad for Cat-converters.
Might not want to use it if your vehicle is cat equipped...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 02/08/14 at 08:45:27

Ah....I think you are right buddy.

Now another question then, what is cheaper to replace, a motor or cat converter  Cheesy

OK, now one more question....

Has refinery techniques and fuel recipes improved to a point of less emissions that the cat converter is old technology and like the buggy whip not needed to promote mass movement...???

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/08/14 at 08:49:33

I run Rotella in the backhoe, & lawnmower, & I WUZ running it in the pickup, cuz I Fergot about the Cataclysmic Perverter,, but Ill stop doin that,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/08/14 at 09:16:45

raydawg wrote on 02/08/14 at 08:45:27:
OK, now one more question....

Has refinery techniques and fuel recipes improved to a point of less emissions that the cat converter is old technology and like the buggy whip not needed to promote mass movement...???

I wonder about that myself...
The one time I had to put the Savage through emissions,... they had to sock the muffler and leave it idle for near 10 minutes (to the point of overheating and getting stumbly) in order to get any reading at all...
... and that was with a K/N and Dyna and a #150/50  2/3 spacer...
Tongue...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 02/08/14 at 15:18:23

My buddy who is a mechanic recommended this for my f150 which holds 6 quarts.  5 quarts of good oil (mobil super) and 1 quart Rotella T.  He said if you want to run traditional oil use that but, if you if you want to switch to synthetic wait till 30k.  Then use mobil 1.  He has 500k on his original engine.  For every other vehicle / engine he said use rotella T.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/08/14 at 16:23:41

I am not sure about how fast the O2 sensor and catalytic converter are bothered by ZDDP.  Seems to me that fuel injection was around for more then 20 years before the EPA got concerned about the ZDDP issue.  It used to be the pollution equipment was warranted for 50,000  or 100,000 miles......so maybe the EPA thought they could improve that by reducing the ZDDP.

Call me foolish....but I am running the Rotella T in my 2006 Pontiac Vibe and my 2002 Chevy Avalanche.  I will let you know as soon as I get a Check Engine light from a fouled O2 sensor or Catalytic Converter.  We don't have emission testing around here anymore.....so unless I get a light, drop performance or mileage....I won't really know if the Catalytic Converter has stopped doing whatever it does.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 02/08/14 at 20:02:10

Yeah.....I'm with you Dave. I figger if my oil can harm my "spent fuel" emissions via my cat converter, I gots a problem with oil in my fuel, yes?
Anyway I put some in, drove it till warm, and it seemed fine. I have full instrumentation on my dash, not idiot lights, but real gauges and the oil pressure is riding at optimal.
I'll let you know next week, as I will be driving to work again as the savage rest due to cold weather, its snowing as I type......  

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #8 - 02/08/14 at 20:54:23

Yeah...  My first thought was how much oil are you burning to clog a cat?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 02/08/14 at 21:50:33

I ran T-6 in an Acura Legend and a 2.5 TL all the time -- and I did  have to replace an oxygen sensor on one or the other about every 4th-5th year or so.   Can't say much about that being strictly due to the oil, but I suspect it had something to do with it.

Did the T-6 oil help with engine life?   Mebbe, I traded them in on Nissan Cubes last couple of years to get a more creaky old person friendly car.   Both engines were solid right up to the end, with the Legend being right at 300,000 miles on the ODO.

In the long life engine rally world, I wouldn't even have qualified.   Heck, some truckers have run more miles on one single T-6 oil change than I ever reached on my oldest Accura's engine in total.

Don't that put things in perspective for you, huh?

Grin

===========

T-6 doesn't burn up all the way when it goes past the rings, BTW.   There is an oily liquid that builds up in the muffler that would drip out of the little water purge holes that Acura put in the Legend's stainless steel exhaust system.   This is in line with what Klotz synthetic two stroke oil used to do (how it worked "better" actually).

Your cat converter beads would get oil totally soaked/coated driving around town for years then when you hit the interstate and got it all nice and hot the beads would ignite and then burn it all off suddenly.   Took 5-7 minutes to burn the T-6 off completely and it really smoked bad while it was a going about doing it.

Skeeter fogger time  !!!    People blowing the horn at you and rollin' the windows down to tell you your car was on fire, etc .....   My wife used to get all embarrassed and mad at me.

Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 04/07/14 at 10:36:28

Stopped by WallyWorld the other day to pickup some more Rotella for an oil change and picked up the only Synthetic bottles they had.

Switched it out without thinking twice, until I went to find my old bottle to put the used oil in. To my surprise the old bottle was the Blue T6 bottle and the new bottle was the Silver T5.  Shocked  I don't know if they were sold out of the T6 or that was all they carry now, but I guess it's just a blend rather than 100% synthetic.

IMG_20140405_135456_154.jpg

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 04/07/14 at 11:10:52

pg wrote on 02/08/14 at 15:18:23:
My buddy who is a mechanic recommended this for my f150 which holds 6 quarts.  5 quarts of good oil (mobil super) and 1 quart Rotella T.  He said if you want to run traditional oil use that but, if you if you want to switch to synthetic wait till 30k.  Then use mobil 1.  He has 500k on his original engine.  For every other vehicle / engine he said use rotella T.

Is that a 300/6 banger?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #12 - 04/07/14 at 11:51:05

roger that

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:22:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rotella......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.