Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Choke doesn't work (Read 50 times)
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Choke doesn't work
02/07/14 at 09:27:09

Hey guys.  I'm a carb rookie.  My choke used to work and it was great for cold starting.  After replacing the head gasket, cam chain and a few other things (nothing carb related) the choke doesn't work anymore.  Cold, the bike just won't start with the choke.  After it's running I can pretty easily kill the engine by barely pulling out the choke.  I've fiddled with the idle mix screw and left it pretty close to its happy medium of 1.5 turns out.  Everything is stock on the bike.  

It has been pretty cold.  30 degrees Fahrenheit on cold days.  Today it was 50 and it took me about 3 or 4 minutes of trying to start it without the choke before it idled consistently.  It still wouldn't start with the choke out.  I've noticed that it starts better if I give it about 1/2 throttle with the choke in for a second after pressing the start button.

Any ideas what the problem could be?  I plan on taking the carb out and cleaning it anyway, I just wanted to know what to be looking for.

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
doctorpc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Choke doesn't work
Reply #1 - 02/07/14 at 09:49:34

I have seen this complaint here before   its cold the bike wont start... Battery??

IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #2 - 02/07/14 at 09:53:28

The battery works pretty well.  It charges well when I drive.

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/07/14 at 10:09:10

1st, be careful and don't run the starter for a long time or you'll burn it up.

2nd, test your petcock, instructions in the tech section.

1/2 throttle is telling me that it's flooding.
check the vac line for gas, tap the carb bowl to make sure it aint stuck, check the vent lines if they're plugged.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:35:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Choke doesn't work

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.