Painting starter (Read 68 times)
jimmysmooth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Painting starter
02/06/14 at 21:04:14

Newbie here,
I am painting the starter on my bike flat black because it had a good bit of rust on it. I bought the high temperature Rustoleum, but I couldn't find any primers that said high temperature. Should I just sand the starter and use the Rustoleum straight on the metal, or does anyone know where to find a primer that will work?
Thanks

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Painting starter
Reply #1 - 02/06/14 at 21:07:35

a zinc based primer should get the job done.  One of the weld through primer type deals.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/07/14 at 05:10:25

I painted mine black, and I used an engine enamel that is good for 500 degrees.  That is fine for the starter - you don't need high temperature paints that can withstand 2000 degrees.  My starter was not rusty - so I just wiped the starter down well with wax and grease remover, then scuffed the original paint with 400 grit sandpaper.

I looked at the Rustoleum web page, and they recommend a primer for their engine enamel....so they must make a primer.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/specialty-paint...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 02/07/14 at 07:46:14

You can buy Rustoleum engine primer. Or use your Rustoleum over any other engine primer than VHT (garbage). But you really don't need it, scuff the starter body really well with a coarse scotch-brite type pad or a stripping wheel, spray a couple light coats, let them flash, and while tacky spray a medium wet coat.

Carefully install the starter, the paint is soft until heat cycled a couple times. Take the bike for a 10 minute ride, shut down and let it cool completely. Then go for a couple 20 minute rides, cool completely in between. Paint will harden up, will finish curing this summer on your longer rides.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/07/14 at 11:04:56

I used high heat primer but the starter doesn't see high temperatures. Regular primer should be fine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:35:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Painting starter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.