Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
charcoal filter question (Read 98 times)
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

charcoal filter question
02/05/14 at 19:38:14

Hi folks,

I tried to understand theory beyond charcoal filter, but couldn't find any good information. Could you please explain me how it works? Why tank breathing tube can't go directly into carb?

Thanks,
Kirill.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: charcoal filter question
Reply #1 - 02/05/14 at 22:02:35

That would suck... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 02/05/14 at 22:47:38

EVAP
vapors are stored in the charcoal then re introduced to be burned off in the cylinder..

see "how stuff works"

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/06/14 at 09:27:19

kt97679 wrote on 02/05/14 at 19:38:14:
Why tank breathing tube can't go directly into carb?

On the oft chance of a true backfire would light the tank.

And there would still be a need to store a quantity of spilt gas beyond what could be introduced into the carb w/out affecting performance.

WWW   IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/06/14 at 20:21:38

Thanks for the hint thumperclone, read article, still don't understand. Canister is used to store fuel vapors. Canister is connected to tank breathing tube and carb. So in case of too much vapor it still would go into the carb. And in case of backfire this still would go right into the tank through canister full of vapor, which is in my understanding even more dangerous.

With outboard engines you usually have screw on fuel tank cap which you need to tighten when engine is off. Why this approach is not applicable for motorcycles?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 02/07/14 at 07:53:02

kt97679 wrote on 02/06/14 at 20:21:38:
Thanks for the hint thumperclone, read article, still don't understand. Canister is used to store fuel vapors. Canister is connected to tank breathing tube and carb. So in case of too much vapor it still would go into the carb. And in case of backfire this still would go right into the tank through canister full of vapor, which is in my understanding even more dangerous.

With outboard engines you usually have screw on fuel tank cap which you need to tighten when engine is off. Why this approach is not applicable for motorcycles?

It is/was. You used to be able to buy marine style fuel caps for Harley, Indian and British bikes. And then California decided to play "Eco Warrior"...

Seriously, the "Commiefornia Air Resources Board" is THE worst thing to happen to motorcycles and the older vehicle hobby. Even our chainsaws (that have no life span) are C.A.R.B. approved, gutless, basically funny looking paperweights these days.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Kirill Timofeev
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/07/14 at 18:55:23

Does this mean, that if savage fuel tank cap would provide good seal we can eliminate charcoal filter completely, add tap to breathing tube, open it to run engine and close with engine stopped?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 02/07/14 at 20:55:20

Models with a charcoal canister, are California models in the US...
Extra clean emissions...
I assume they are inspected, but I don't know...

However,... if you're not worried about inspections... and want to get rid of the canister...
You need to route the tank vent tube (the one that goes from the tank to the canister), up to above the top of the tank and loop it back down (many dirt bikes do this)... or disassemble the gas cap, and remove the rubber plug to allow venting through the cap... in which case you would block the venting tubes...
All that is necessary for a running bike, is that the gas tank allow air in from above to allow fuel to flow out the bottom...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:34:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › charcoal filter question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.