Send Topic Print
Tire Changer Report (Read 45 times)
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Tire Changer Report
02/03/14 at 15:05:30

A few months ago I asked you guys for advice/opinions on "Harbor Freight" type tire changers.  Anyway, I decided to get one and today I finally got around to using it to mount my wife's snow tires.  (You know what that means... no more snow for the rest of this year!)  Smiley

I had half a sheet of plywood laying around, so I cut some 4 foot pieces of 2x2,  screwed to the bottom of the plywood to make a "floor" to bolt  the tire changer to.  Thought that would be easier than getting anchors, drilling into the concrete floor, etc.  

First tire took about 1:15 from jacking up the car to letting the jack down with the snow tire on.  Second one took about 40 minute, last 2 took about 30 minutes each.  It took a little practice to figure out what I was supposed to be doing, and as usual getting the 2nd bead re-mounted took a little extra work.  The last tire, I had a heck of time popping the second bead off the rim,but just kept spinning it and pushing it down 'till it popped off.  

It probably would have been easier to do if the changer was bolted solid to the floor instead of having a 4x4 platform, but it was definnitely doable.  ( I have some experience changing motorcycle tires  by hand)

Conclusion:  If you like to change your motorcycle tires, you'll probably like to change your car tires for the same reasons.

(For me it's:  1.  I can do it whenever I want to/have time VS. making an appointment.  2.  I like learning to do stuff myself  3.  I'm cheap     ( but to be honest, if I was paying myself minimum wage, it might have been cheaper to get somebody else to do it) I've been charged anywhere from about $20 to about $100 to switch 4 snow tires on  Huh

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Tire Changer Report
Reply #1 - 02/03/14 at 15:29:27

I have one too but have used it for car tires yet.

HF has the m/c add-on for sale $40, that and a coupon... $30.   Cool

Thinking of modifying it to snap into a receiver.

otherwise, 2 anchors in concrete easier building a dance floor.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 02/03/14 at 22:34:09

Well, Phil seen his shadow, so we have six more weeks of snow... yer wife's car should be good then!  Grin

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/04/14 at 00:16:20

Dig a good place, wall it off, run rebar, drive stuff in the ground, plant the thing outside, I did, but now Im thinking I didnt give it a big enough, well secured enough base,,I havent had it loaded up hard,, but, If I have to, its there,, Handy for bustin beads,, but, IF I get one that doesnt wanna let go, I do have that back hoe & it has the legs on the back that drop down,,a coupla 2X6's & Presto.,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:31:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tire Changer Report

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.