Custom exhaust (Read 166 times)
redpiranha
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ct
Custom exhaust
02/03/14 at 14:44:02

Does anyone know where I can find an exhaust flange to build a custom pipe ? I need the round flange that goes against the exhaust port . I'm not sure if these are available or if I'll have to have on machined .

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Custom exhaust
Reply #1 - 02/03/14 at 15:10:13

Try flanges for the M50, diamondjim said they mount the same as ours and I think they're available.

You just need to check ID.

But probably cheaper just to them made for you, it's just a ring of metal.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 02/03/14 at 15:41:03

I usually just cut the end off an old stock header and weld it to the new tube

IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #3 - 02/03/14 at 20:12:56

LANCER wrote on 02/03/14 at 15:41:03:
I usually just cut the end off an old stock header and weld it to the new tube

Yeah, I got a beater pipe from the bay of fleas for $10...the guy cut it and shipped for nothin.  Chucked it up in my lathe and voila!  Smiley

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #4 - 02/04/14 at 04:04:32

Im tinkering with the thought of making a complete exhaust as well. Bought a piece of pipe today to make a cool exhaust end, but since the whole system is basically just one long pipe, why not make a complete one.. I read from Lancer in his big bore threat, that going to 1.5 or 1.65 ID would be the way to go.. Now this pipe I bought was the smallest one available and measures 1.65 ID - would that be too large if the engine is totally stock..? Would it make any difference to power? I was thinking if the stock header diameter was being restrictive to the engine allready from the factory..  Huh

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/04/14 at 04:47:03

1.65" is probably too big for a stock engine - 1.5" would be better.  The problem in going too big is the velocity of the flow is reduced, and it does effect the low and mid range power by going too big.  The stock pipe is only about 1.25" ID oon the inner pipe.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 02/04/14 at 05:34:06

Yep, agree with Dave, 1.5 ID is the better choice for a stock engine.

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #7 - 02/04/14 at 07:40:13

Think im gonna keep the stock header then.. It kinda needs that fat looking header pipe  Cool

Is there a special type of baffle that would be a good starting point, for putting into an empty exhaust tube with 1.90 ID..?

I currently have this muffler mounted, which seems to work quite well, but  I ain't sure.. It hasturned blue/yellow right at the middle, so im guessing it's a little too restrictive..? Can I in any way do damage to the engine by this..???

http://www.louis.de/_4044e30804284f23ee1b1320d6878f8d24/index.php?topic=artnr...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 02/04/14 at 09:59:59

Michael L wrote on 02/04/14 at 07:40:13:
I currently have this muffler mounted, which seems to work quite well, but  I ain't sure.. It hasturned blue/yellow right at the middle, so im guessing it's a little too restrictive..? Can I in any way do damage to the engine by this..???

The color change does not mean anything about how restrictive a muffler is - it only indicates that a spot on the muffler is getting hot enough to change color.  That muffler appears to be very similar to the Harley Dyna Muffler.....and is probably a good match for the Savage.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #9 - 02/04/14 at 11:05:49

Getting hot cause may run a bit too lean.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 02/04/14 at 11:39:45

Michael L wrote on 02/04/14 at 07:40:13:

If it were the header I might say you need to go a little richer, but this is the muf and most likely you have a baffle there.  Causing a little extra heat to be transferred to the outer wall.

Also note that all waxes and oils should be removed from the surface of the header and muf or they will cause it to turn blue.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 02/05/14 at 07:35:08

If the muffler is baffled like the stock DYNA muffler, the exhaust goes into the muffler in the inner pipe and there is a metal plate blocking the center of the pipe, then the exhaust passes out holes in the inner pipe and enters the chrome outer shell, then the exhaust goes back through another set of holes in the inner pipe and travels out the back of the muffler.  The point where the exhaust enters the chrome outer shell becomes hot at the point where the exhaust is routed through those holes, and that is where the discoloration occurs.

I just built a chrome megaphone system with a similar baffle system, and the chrome is a yellow color where the exhaust is routed to the outer chrome case.  I set up my carb with an oxygen sensor and it is running correctly and is not lean.  The muffler just gets hot and discolors the chrome....it is perfectly normal....been going on for years.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:28:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Custom exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.