Rust (Read 185 times)
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Rust
02/03/14 at 12:58:43

Starting to see rust on most of the chromed surfaces. I recall that there are products that convert rust into some other iron compound that protects metal from further rusting. Anyone here know of such a product and/or tried it on the S40? Most prevalent in the exhaust, exhaust header, and exhaust shield, though I also see it elsewhere. Chrome on these bikes must be awfully thin.

- David
  IP Logged
Cloudy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gordonton, New Zealand
Re: Rust
Reply #1 - 02/03/14 at 15:07:18

Its been my experience over the years that Suzuki in general is bad for their chrome rusting.

Wife- 06 Suzuki S40
Me-05 Speedmaster, Short Slashcut TORs, Thunderbike A,I,R Kit, K&N Air Filter,Snorkel Removed, Dynojet Stage 1 Kit(126 main), NGK Iridium Plugs, Bar End Mirrors, Fenda Extenda
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #2 - 02/03/14 at 15:13:04

Yeah, I gathered that. Must be some way to arrest it, though.

- David
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/03/14 at 15:22:21

JOG has been touting ospho for years.  Use liquid not gel.

I don't know if it will penetrate thru chrome though.

The presumption is the chrome has a pin hole(s) and rust is bleeding thru.

If liquid can penetrate it as well may convert it.  would require a good soak.

electrolysis may be another option as it'll dissolve rust into a solution to transfer it to a cathode/anode (one of the two).  Then you'll need to seal it again.

WWW   IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #4 - 02/03/14 at 16:58:18

From what I've read, the key ingredient is phosphoric acid. What isn't clear is if the iron phosphate that the rust converts to will be stable even when not painted.

- David
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/03/14 at 20:37:46

Well... it's gotta be better than rust.

You know where that's headed.

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 02/03/14 at 22:17:25

I use some light weight steel wool for surface rust then I use this on everything.  This is some real good stuff.

http://www.originalbikespirits.com/products/spray-cleaner-polish/

spray-cleaner-polish.png

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/03/14 at 23:03:28

Aluminum foil & water, rub the affected area, for some reason, that knocks the rust down real good. I havent done it, others have & raved about it AND Rick on American REstorations showed it to us the other nite.
I keep a quart of Ospho in the shop. I get a coupla years or so out of it, I wipe rusting places & rinse them off after its turned black. If ALL the rust is gone, then theres nothing to turn black & its gonna rust right back up. Iron Phosphate isnt iron, nor is it iron oxide,, I havent done a real test to prove that its more stable & doesnt rust, but from what Ive casually observed, its a LOT better than raw metal. If ya use a brass brush it wont scratch the chrome. But, Id just hit it with the Ospho, Im sure its just starting, not deep enough to keep the chemical from reaching thru & thru the rust,
Wipe it, wait 24 hours, wet rag rinse, dry. If you dont like the look, brass brush to get the staining off the chrome around the rusty specks. Thatll leave a tiny dark dot. Ive done it several times, cant even see it on a walk by,, The guy who bought it didnt. I think youd need a magnifying glass to see it. Its a very dilute solution, so, it wont mess things up ( Tho Id caution against getting it on aluminum) I wear rubber gl;oves, cuz its not fun on the skin, The new name is Jasco, manufacturer sold out, same jug, same stuff,, lower price,,

Its always smart to test anything new on a small spot in an out of the way place,, Dont just go for the Gold here,, Ive been using pure silicone oil on car dashes & interior trim for many years. I Always test in a small out of the way spot on any new car I use it on,, I cant KNOW that the plastic in this car is the same as the others, now can I?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 02/04/14 at 04:02:57

If I remember correctly, your bike sits outside with a bike cover installed.  The chrome is going to rust, the clear coat is going to fail and the aluminum is going to corrode.  These bikes are not very good at holding up in a wet environment.  When I was looking to buy my bike I was surprised how much corrosion the used bikes had - even the low mileage bikes that sat inside unheated garages near the overhead doors showed lots of corrosion.

Either use the tin foil and water on the chrome - or some 0000 steel wool and Chrome polish to remove the rust.  The alumium foil removes the brown but does not smooth the pits much - the steel wool and chrome polish does better on the pits.  Then you need to get a good coat of wax on everything.  The muffler and header pipe should not be waxed, and you should use BlueJob on that after the chrome polish and steel wool.

Unfortunately....if it sits outside....it is going to rust.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #9 - 02/04/14 at 05:41:13

Thanks. I think I'll try the Ospho technique with either foil or brass scrubbies. I spent a while on the Internet looking for something more permanent, but the rust converters, which turn rust to magnetite, all seem to also include a non-heat-resistant polymer, so they won't help the exhaust.

Yes, my bike does sit outside, under a cover, in New England, where it is fairly wet. The clear coat had already started to deteriorate before I got the bike, and now it's a mess. That I'm not so concerned about, as I can always paint the aluminum. But I'd prefer to prevent the exhaust from rotting any more than it has to.

- David
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 02/04/14 at 05:47:07

You need to be a bit careful with the rust "convertors".  Most of them don't remove the rust - they convert it to a shiny black surface that can be painted over.  You are not going to like the look of those shiny black spots on the chrome, and I have no idea how it will hold up on the exhaust.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 02/04/14 at 07:19:39

Once the cheap soft chrome starts to get rust oozing through, you ought as well dip it, strip it, and paint it. Once the pore is large enough, the chrome is going to start to bubble, and you'll end up sanding it off anyway.

My purchased brand new in 2/98 had rusty pipe and fender rails by 4/98. Gulf Coast, block and a half off the beach.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 02/04/14 at 08:17:59

Like I said, you eliminate the rust, then ospho does nothing.. it works on rust, so, if youre gonna polish it, ospho isnt gonna have rust there to work on, Id try ospho in a small spot, an unmolested spot, Then, after its had time to work, rinse it, then brass brush, that kills the rust.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 02/04/14 at 08:20:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/04/14 at 08:17:59:
Like I said, you eliminate the rust, then ospho does nothing.. it works on rust, so, if youre gonna polish it, ospho isnt gonna have rust there to work on, Id try ospho in a small spot, an unmolested spot, Then, after its had time to work, rinse it, then brass brush, that kills the rust.

Either way, you get the same "look", one way needs attention every coupla weeks, the other, every few months. & one way, "attention" = work, the other, attention = wiping it down.. Im lazy,,
Im betting that your chrome isnt orange, its still shiny with little dots showing up, right?

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #14 - 02/04/14 at 08:55:07

Been using the aluminum foil ball with water for years, it does work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:19:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.