ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rust
Reply #15 - 02/04/14 at 09:04:56

Arnold wrote on 02/04/14 at 08:55:07:
Been using the aluminum foil ball with water for years, it does work.

I think the advantage here is a layer of aluminum is deposited on the chrome and especially in the pit.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 02/04/14 at 09:15:06

someone otta take an old set of bars or whatever & mark off areas & try different ways on one abused piece of chromed steel,

Hows that long term gas test coming? Who is doing that?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 02/04/14 at 09:36:51

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/04/14 at 09:15:06:
someone otta take an old set of bars or whatever & mark off areas & try different ways on one abused piece of chromed steel,

Hows that long term gas test coming? Who is doing that?

I've got a rotten set of 1970s Honda bars you can try it on... where are they being shipped to?

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 02/04/14 at 10:11:13

This stuff might be interesting for a try as you actually are chrome plating the part and can apply it to a small area.  Probably could use the same method to remove the rust 1st...

http://www.micromark.com/PLUG-N-PLATE-COPY-CHROME-PLATING-KIT,8327.html?vm=r

Quote:
Electroplate Small Parts at Home with the Plug N' PlateTM System

Plug N' Plate, a new concept in plating small parts, is ideal for vintage vehicle restorers, antique collectors and dealers, model builders, gun smiths, clock rebuilders, jewelers, prototype work and plating repair. Plug N' Plate is safe and easy to use: just clip one power supply output lead to your workpiece and the other to the plating wand. Dip the wand into the plating solution, then swab it onto your workpiece. You'll watch in amazement as a gleaming new finish appears before your eyes. Kit includes 120v AC power supply with low voltage output, 16 oz. plating solution, clip leads, plating wand and instructions.

#83083 Copy ChromeTM Kit is ideal for chrome plating small parts made of steel, copper, bronze, brass and tin. Also repairs small damaged areas of existing plating, like a small scratch in an automobile bumper. (Note: to plate die cast or pot metal parts, you must first apply a base of copper to prevent corrosion. See Micro-Mark #83248 Copper Plating Kit for details.)

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 02/04/14 at 10:12:05

Man, my health has gotten so bad Ive got projects unfinished, errands I need to run, Im not the guy. Im hardly even getting dressed most days, Ive driven my truck a whopping 1,500 miles in 10 months, 3 of those I couldnt drive at all, due to shoulder surgery. & somehow, I suspect your bars are so far gone it wouldnt allow for the goal I have in mind to be realized.
What Id like to see is how best & easiest to arrest the rust before it wrecks the chrome & which method takes the least time/effort to keep it looking decent enough to not be noticed on a walk by. I couldnt even see the specks after treatment, but the staining before was obvious.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 02/04/14 at 11:46:53

I am the guy with the gasoline test.....the bottles are still in the woodshed.  I thought about looking at them last weekend...but got busy.  I will update that thread this weekend.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 02/04/14 at 18:43:36

Eagle One Never Dull. About 5 bucks a can at Walmart and is unbelievably effective in removing rust while not harming or scratching the chrome around the area. Its a polish that gives a very nice, fairly quick high luster to chrome. It makes polished aluminum look a little dirty but chrome looks practically new. It is extremely flammable. I tested that out last week while I was welding a reverse trike frame. I had been using the polish on a GS850 fender and forgot to put the lid back on. Some sparks hit the polish cloth and ignited the entire can instantly. Out of stupidity I attempted to stomp the can and put the fire out only to catch my boot on fire. Fortunately there was lots of snow outside the garage so I kicked the can out there and put out the boot fire out stepping into it. It was funny because I didn't burn the house down.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:15:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.