Is this a Dyna muffler (Read 256 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Is this a Dyna muffler
Reply #15 - 02/05/14 at 16:01:53

Quote:
Just do an Ebay search with Harley Davidson muffler 65747-94

That's what I did and paid $30.  It arrived today and looks real good.  I need to get a t-clamp and heat shield before I put it on.  Maybe I won't have to rejet, or should I do that anyway?

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #16 - 02/06/14 at 07:07:16

I didn't have to rejet...put it on first then start it up and see how it sounds and runs. Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 02/06/14 at 08:06:55

To get the best performance/economy from an engine, you almost always need to jet it... (even a stock bike)...
...but you rarely have to, just to have a running bike...
It just depends on how picky you are...

Try the new muffler... if it runs good for you, you're fine...
If it feels like needs something,... then look into changing jets...
If you don't feel like you can trust your senses.. just put a #150 main jet in there, and it will be fine... (changing a main jet is really easy,.. no need to be intimidated)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 02/06/14 at 13:14:08

The big challenge is gaining access TO the jet w/o screwin things up.
Unless someone has been in the carb & used antiseize on the bolts, theyre not gonna wanna turn easy. A #2 Philips is sure to wreck the heads. A JIS screwdriver is what is called for, But, a #2 philips that has had the tip ground down till the X on the bit fills the X on the bolt. A hand held impact is very handy, unless you have air tools, A 3/8ths impact w/ the air turned down so it just pecks at it is the easiest.. If you go in, replacing them with allen head stainless is a great answer. Then you can pop the bowl off by just loosening the clamps & rotating the carb a little, especially if ya get some allen wrenches with the ball on one end. Still need antiseize, even w/ stainless. Aluminum & steel simply get sticky,,
Theres a washer that goes under the main jet.. gotta make sure that stays in the mix,,
A handheld impact is available at Harbor Freight for cheap., Mine came with a skinny little flattened off tip, long philips that made getting the 2 tiny little screws down inside the carb work out. You only need in there if youre changing the needle height, I think,, been a long time, so,, I could be wr, wr, wr,, Incorrect..
I hadda take mine apart & clean up some of the machining inside, It didnt wanna change directions right & it had some rough stuff on a ramp that made it not want to spin when it got spanked,,
Remember, several quick taps is better than a Big Whomp..,
If you put the carb in a vise, drop a towel on the jaws & set it in, carefully clamping it, not crushing anything pokin out,  maybe something below it to hold it up unless you can drop it to the flange.,& let the wide spot hold it up. OR,, phone a friend, but it requires more than 2 hands to run the hammer & impact And keep the carb solidly held. If it wiggles it soaks up the torque the impact is delivering. Hold a twist in it, spank it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
seedubs1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/06/14 at 13:47:27

Just re-jetted.  No way was a standard screwdriver getting those bolts out of the carb.

Since I don't have an impact wrench and I'm cheap, here's my trick:
Use a ratchet.  Put a good bit in the correct socket.  The handle of the ratchet will allow you to put enough downward force on the bolt to keep the head from stripping (usually...).

Used my standard ratchet with a good bit technique, and it went smooth.  Much less propensity for stripping bolt heads doing that.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 02/06/14 at 13:48:51

Don't use an impact unless you can support underneath the screw or you'll break the ears off.

before you start, flip it over and put some pen oil on the threads.

also, the bat box maybe pushing on the bottom of the bowl.
I can get at by prying a little with a big screwdriver.
but run a cargo strap to the back somewhere and tighten till it clears.

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #21 - 02/06/14 at 17:19:21

We'll put it on and see how it goes.  I'm at 400 feet and it is humid all the time.  Serow's intro to carb tuning in the tech section was straight forward and easy to understand.  To all, thanks for the insight!

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 02/06/14 at 17:27:03

OHH Yes! Versy got me there,, He is spot on,, go spankin on an unsupported bolt & you definitely risk popping the ear off,, You dont wanna be forced to sign your carb
Vincent van Gogh,,
You can just sacrifice the bolts if you cant get them loose. I dunno what kinda tools you have,and going thru all the potential ways to win it would take a while,, just let us know how its goin,, lots of ideas come outta this place,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:33:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is this a Dyna muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.