Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ram air type cone filter (Read 346 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Ram air type cone filter
01/31/14 at 14:14:24

I am wondering if something like this could be done without hurting performance. I guess what I am asking is if I were to use a U shaped piece of tubing/pipe and attach the cone filter like this one, would the U shaped tubing hurt performance? I realize putting the filter this way won't help performance.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Ram air type cone filter
Reply #1 - 01/31/14 at 14:40:59

It will get a lot of turbulence sticking out there... and rain...

..but hey,.. everything ain't about performance... if it's what you like, give it a try... You can always change it back or try something different...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/31/14 at 14:45:51

Unless you got really short legs...

WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #3 - 02/02/14 at 10:23:33

Thanks. I will see what I can come up with.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/03/14 at 05:24:33

One of the potential problems with a real "ram air" approach is that if you really start to "ram" air into the carb throat....you will be lowering the vacuum created in the carb throat and upsetting the fuel/air mix.  The fuel is pulled up out of the float bowl and though the metering jets and emulsion tubes by the vacuum in the carb throat.  The carb float bowl is vented up through the tubes that exit the top of the carb and go up under the fuel tank.....and those will not pressurize the float bowl to match the ram air that is created.  You could potentially re-route those tubes to the intake air that is being boosted.......but in reality hanging an air filter out in the breeze is not really going to create any ram air effect that will do much.  (Drag cars that use ram air pressurize the entire carb so that the fuel/air mixture is consistent.)  If you truly created a ram air system for the Savage that made much boost....then you have to worry that the gravity fuel system can flow fuel down into the pressurized float bowl.

Hanging a cone filter out in the breeze is going to be more of a fashion statement than a performance mod.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #5 - 02/03/14 at 05:42:51

I understand and agree Dave. It is a fashion statement. That is why I called it a ram air type instead of ram air. I am just concerned about the U shaped tube. Wondering if it will hurt performance. I am not trying to boost performance. I don't want to hurt performance.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #6 - 02/03/14 at 06:32:09

The larger the radius of the bend the smoother the air flow will be, so if you give this a shot (I like the idea personally and would like to know how it goes for you) try and find the largest radius bend possible.

That or you could have a straight section on either side of the u-bend so you still get the advantage of the straight sections that way.

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/04/14 at 21:28:44

needed to do such a thing on my other bike.
was trying to squeeze all the power out of the small Honda CG clone and just couldn't better balance the mix at high speed any other way.

intake_007_Large.jpg
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 02/05/14 at 01:16:22

IMHO... it's a waste of time, money and power.

Most diagrams will show you graphs such as this

Oh, gee, umpteen percent performance increase !  Cheesy

What they don't tell you is that these measurements were taken in a laboratory, where they can "tailor" atospheric parameters to suit their (commercial) requirements. Huh

In the real world, the true air flow will improve (maybe) like this ...

... where most of the time the improvement is negligible ... co$t a lot, nice to look at, but really...  Huh

Furthermore, many tests are done on filters such as this

where air is compressed in the "doughnut hole" and throught the filtering material...
...but then they sell you THIS filter in the same box, with the same fancy diagrams, but with actually a completely different aerodynamic response...

What's wrong with this filter ? NOTHING, provided you fit it as part of a system...

...where the plastic shroud acts like a "virtual chamber" where air pressure is made (more or less) equal on all sides of the filter.

Now... imagine fitting such a filter to our Savage, with a "U"-shaped pipe, so that it looks forward.
The plastic "nose" will actually deflect air away from the front part of the filert, creating an area of LOW air pressure, much like what we see when a pickup with a tarpaulin runs at speed and the front part of the tarpaulin will inflate ?

Nevermind the "Trailertail", look at the Orange lines in the nose and "ears" of the truck, that's low air pressure, which makes the tarp swell in the front of the loading bay.

The same happens to a "closed nose" ram air filter  Tongue little or no air in the front half of the filter.

It is no wonder that V-Twin professionals at HD give you a good air filter setup as standard, and leave it to the individual to ruin it all...

Harley Davidson OEM setup
GOOD aftermarket airbox
BAD aftermarket airbox

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Tempted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/05/14 at 17:05:30

Generally speaking you won't see a gain or loss in performance. Especially on a Savage. It doesn't take much air flow for <30hp. If the filter you choose is higher flowing than the stock system then you'll need to re-tune or possibly re-jet. If you change from stock intake to higher flow and add a higher flowing muffler then a re-jet will be required.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 02/05/14 at 22:58:35

12 volt electric turbo unit..
get the  one with switch to activate unit only at wot

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 02/06/14 at 06:28:10

thumperclone wrote on 02/05/14 at 22:58:35:
12 volt electric turbo unit..
get the  one with switch to activate unit only at wot

Those electric turbos are a total waste of money and you might as well just throw your money away.  People that offer those for sale should be arrested as theives and scammers.  Those tiny little fans can't flow the kind of air that a 30 hp engine needs.

I just looked at the grainger catalog and a 12v blower with a 4" diameter wheel flows about 100 cfm at 2" of static pressure (boost).  The little electric motor turns about 3,200 rpm.  These blowers are made for ventilation.  The 650cc (39.66 cu. in) Savage engine at 6,500 rpm flows 895 cubic feet per minute, and the atmospheric pressure pushing the air is around 14.7 psi.....which is equivalent to 384" of static pressure, or 192 times what the tiny electric blower can produce!  The electric fan only flows enough air to keep up with the Savage engine at 726 rpm.....and even at that speed the fan is only allowing the air to pass through and not producing any boost.

Don't waste your money on an electric fan.....turbochargers spin up over 100,000 rpm to make boost....that tiny little electric fan at 3,200 rpm isn't going to do anything but waste electricity and become a restriction for the intake air.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 02/06/14 at 07:31:04

« Last Edit: 02/06/14 at 08:40:47 by Dave »  

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 02/06/14 at 09:42:12

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 02/06/14 at 10:41:28

That's a joke,... looks like it would slow airflow if anything... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 09:36:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ram air type cone filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.