Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Black Powder Toy, Not a Motorcycle (Read 140 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
New Black Powder Toy, Not a Motorcycle
01/30/14 at 19:37:02

I've got to stay out of flea markets, just picked up this bronze cannon for a song.

The barrel is 9 1/2 inches overall in the Parrott design, bore is .50 caliber 8 inches long and the entire cannon is 15 1/2 overall with 6 inch wheels.
From what I've been able to research it was made back in the 1860's as a high end toy.
50 grains of FF black powder pushing a patched .490 round ball goes right through a 4x4. It's fun, chuckle, chuckle

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New Black Powder Toy, Not a Motorcycle
Reply #1 - 01/30/14 at 19:47:50

Biggabaddaboom!... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #2 - 01/30/14 at 20:19:39

mmmm,could mount that onto the bars of a bike,then BOOM,look out tin tops who cut you off  Cool  Cheesy

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/31/14 at 00:06:50

If you got it for less than $200.00 you stole it.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 01/31/14 at 00:33:12

SWEET!!!

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 01/31/14 at 06:38:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/31/14 at 00:06:50:
If you got it for less than $200.00 you stole it.,

I wouldn't know dollars... but I really can't see how it would be cheap. Just age and condition would seem to command s pretty penny.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 01/31/14 at 07:12:02

Does it fit in that box its on?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 01/31/14 at 07:34:35

Guys I stole it for $40.00 which is what the owner was asking. I didn't even haggle, just whipped the money out and ran. I don't think he knew what he had.
 From what I can find on the internet the cannon was made by Strong Firearms company out of Connecticut which closed the early 1900's because of a fire. They reopened in the 70's and make bigger signal cannons like the one in the Magnum PI TV series.
 I'm going to clean it up a little bit, make and install a elevation screw adjustment and mount it on a big chunk of black walnut for display when I'm not shooting it.
 It's my third and biggest cannon in .50 caliber Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #8 - 01/31/14 at 08:02:15

You definitely stole it for $40, it's worth way more in scrap alone. It looks like it would be fun to play around with. It's probably a good thing that I don't own or have access to a metal lathe. I have plans for a golf ball cannon and a bowling ball mortar  Cheesy

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 01/31/14 at 11:46:36

Before I touched it Id try to contact a collector & see what its worth. I watch Pawn Stars & have seen people ruin the value of things just by a simple cleaning, You may be sitting on some serious cash. & for Forty Dawlurz??? DUDE!! Do not stay away from flea markets..

info@cannoncollector.com

You mite get a fair market value appraisal from this guy. & you could ask about the cleanup you want to do & see if that would hurt the value of help. I live wishing to find such a great deal! Good for you, man,, Im happy for ya,, AND, while we are at it, Ill send you all the necessary info for you to include me in your will,, Smiley

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 02/01/14 at 07:43:15

I'll need to get it appraised just to see what it is worth. I'm not polishing it, need to keep the patina to show it's age. I just want to see if I can get some of that green corrosion off the wheels and find somewhere I can shoot it.
 It would make one he!! of a brake light on my Savage Smiley

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 02/01/14 at 08:20:33

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 02/01/14 at 17:58:39

info@cannoncollector.com

I gave ya that one,, I hope its worth ThowZunds!

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #13 - 02/01/14 at 20:40:25

About 30 yrs ago north Ms had Vo-Tech training for free or reduced cost at night. My carpenter friend made a beautiful cannon about about 12-14" I believe in .45 bore. I'm sure there are more out there gracng mantels and hearths.

I never cared about black powder but gave my  brother a CVA Bass Pro .50 cal rifle for Christmas long ago. He hunted with it for years and offered it to me when he bought an in-line. It shoots very tight holes with 325 gr Ball-ets from Buffaloe Bullets and opensights. FUN! Looks like you got a deal. BTW WalMart is at the end of their fiscal year with most hunting stuff at half off. I bought a lb of RS couple of years ago for $4+. Have fun keep booming.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 02/02/14 at 03:06:09

Just be careful!  I am the reason cap companies had to lower the amount of powder put in caps. Took the powder out of one roll of caps and put them in a empty card board cylinder. My dad was a cop and saw me with it and told me to get rid of it. I stepped on it to break the cardboard and it went off and took two of my fingers and I almost lost my thumb. It was hangin by a thread. It blew a hole in my dads pant legs and gave him 6 stitches in his leg. Some debris hit my friend in the face who was standing next to me and his face is still scarred 40 years later. it made the papers and the device was determined to be a bomb. All with just one roll of crushed caps! When I was in high school, a classmate made a cannon and fired it many times before the last blast killed him. Apparently it had developed cracks that were naked to the invisible eye because the barrel began to crack from the inside and turned it into a hand grenade. Like I said, be very careful!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:16:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › New Black Powder Toy, Not a Motorcycle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.