Send Topic Print
run-start (Read 124 times)
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Re: run-start
Reply #15 - 01/30/14 at 10:17:16

Kirill ~ oh ya..ya that makes sense.

Dave~ oh im not runnin around with an unhooked batt. I just thought it was supposed to run fine w/o one. Thought that maybe be a clue into my electrical problem.

Serowbot ~ ya every so often she locks up. What I have to do after i get on is kinda hop up and land with all my weight when I pop the clutch. I prolly weigh between 150-160...hmm...i dunno im kind of a fatty at the moment.

Versy ~ Exhaust stroke, big gear, bump it forward, operate decomp lev? Hmm.. I don't understand why or how that works. If it's not too much trouble to elaborate I'd appreciate it. sounds like something I should know.

Jog2 ~ hmm... I guess it would be kinda cool if I didn't need a battery at all.. but I got stuck in a lot of traffic last night and had to shut her down once in awhile so it wouldn't overheat. I thnk.. ya.. even though I run synthetic it would overheat just sitting in traffic for a bit right? It seems like it would have to be pretty cold out to be able to stand some of the traffic down here in SoCal. Normally I just go around or split but often times it's unavoidable.   At any rate, I wouldn't want to have to keep starting it like that in traffic all the time. Last night i unhooked the leads, tested, she was 12.39 volts (the starter was trying real hard to turn the engine over at that voltage) then hooked up to the charger. This morn the charger was on float, unhooked it and read 13.24vdc @ 8:52am. Ever since then I've been hooking up the meter and checking it every 15-20min, and its been slowly decreasing. Its 10am and shes at 12.79. Is that normal? When I put the battery back in i'll rev with the meter and see what happens

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: run-start
Reply #16 - 01/30/14 at 11:44:55

Quote:
Versy ~ Exhaust stroke, big gear, bump it forward, operate decomp lev? Hmm.. I don't understand why or how that works. If it's not too much trouble to elaborate I'd appreciate it. sounds like something I should know.

What you need to do is set the engine on the exhaust stroke.  
put it in a big gear and bump it forward till you can operate the decomp lever by hand.  You don't have to hold it here, it's just to locate the exhaust stroke.
By setting the engine to this position, you are doing the same thing the decomp does.
The decomp takes the load off the engine for the 1st half stroke.  If that 1st half stroke happened to be the compression stroke, the starter would just stall, or your back tire will skid regardless of what gear you're in.

Once you get the rpms up to 300, the engine has enough momentum to carry it through the compression stroke.

At about 12 mph, it's been said that's 1000 rpm.
At 6 mph, you're doing 500 rpm, enough to get her rotating good, cough a couple of times, then lite the fires and go.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:27:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › run-start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.