Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
OK, enough winter already! (Read 125 times)
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
OK, enough winter already!
01/27/14 at 13:29:21

Up until the past couple of years we have had pretty mild winters here in south west lower Michigan.  Couldn't do any riding but was easy to manage.  This year has been terrible.  My neighbor told me today that she heard this is the most snow fall we have had in 20 years.  I'm about 30 miles from the lake shore so we get lot's of lake effect but it has been really bad this winter with temps in the low single digit and wind chills in the -20° to -30°  and snow squalls that will drop an inch of snow an hour.

Here's a view out my shop window

And down the drive way, running out places to blow the snow!

And my back yard

About ready to become a snow bird I think and find some place warm to live.
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: OK, enough winter already!
Reply #1 - 01/27/14 at 14:33:21

Call me crazy, but I'm jealous of all that snow. We started the year off with a good storm or two, but then it disappeared. Nothing but cold dry air and sand covered streets from the early storms. Add to the fact that the lack of snow-pack will mean a lack of water for the summer for both recreation and farmers in the area. Send some my way  Embarrassed

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 01/27/14 at 14:54:19

I like a snowball or two,.. then I'm done... Huh...

Pretty to look at though... thanks for the pics... Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 01/27/14 at 15:08:27

I am six blocks from the water (gulf) and the schools are closing here tomorrow and wed. because of the threat of ice and snow. They say we can get up to 5".... and if we do, there will be pile-ups from hell. Angry Angry

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
William Pors
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/27/14 at 15:09:16

Thats a lot of darn snow. Holy crap... hahaha. How many feet is that?
I'm okay with the occasional 1-2 feet of snow but anymore... That's a headache that I can't relaly deal with. I laughed at how Texas got some snow tihs past weekend... they literally got about 1 inch of snow and they had to shut everything down...hahahaha

IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #5 - 01/27/14 at 15:26:55

Damm this Global Warming.

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 01/27/14 at 15:32:45

In Oregon it has been bone cold but  we have had no snow to speak of in the lower elevations. None whatsoever in the Portland area.  No rain either.  Lots of sun. Hard to believe we are having forest fires in the middle of winter. We are getting pounded by heavy winds tho. I live on the end of the columbia gorge and the other day we had gusts recorded from 107 to 122 mph.  But days are getting longer and soon all of this will be behind us I hope!

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 01/27/14 at 16:01:09

You can't possibly be driving in that stuff!  I notice your SUV looks like it has been driven recently. Here if we get a 1/2 inch of snow, they ask everyone to stay home and do not drive. Every TV station goes on 24 hr storm watches and preempts all regular TV. The whole city of Portland shuts down. The next day it is all gone and the only reminder is of all of the wrecks along side the road. A good dusting of snow closes all schools

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 01/27/14 at 16:22:59

A good dusting of snow closes all schools here too.  Like OR said, there'll be wrecks all over the place.  The south just isn't equipped for snow.  We get so little of it, it's easier and much more cost effective to just let it go away in a couple days.

That being said, people around here go nuts at the mention of the word snow.  The stores are probably already out of milk and bread. There are some people around here who can drive in it that take it easy, brake easily, go a reasonable speed.  I never have any problem getting where I am going.  But, then there are these idiots in their jeeps running 50 or 60 purposely sliding around, spinning around in the roads.  You've got the ones that are scared to death and go so slow that they will never get up that slight bit of a hill ahead and will snarl up the whole thing.  Those last second brake users...I know you've seen them...will create many spectacular wrecks.  I just hope I'm not hit by one.

They are forecasting an inch or two for us here. Should shut down most stuff for a day or two.

OR, as far south as you are and they are calling for 5 inches.  I feel for you.  Hope you don't have to go anywhere for a few days.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #9 - 01/27/14 at 17:18:52

We've had the roughest winter in Kentucky we've had in several years. This weekend we had 6+" and 35mph winds blowing it around. My wife and I have shoveled out our 325' drive at least 3 times since Friday, not to mention the other 5-6" snows we've had. Saturday the snow was drifted close to 3' in some parts of the drive.

And now the weather wizzards are calling for overnight temps of -10*F.

I am sick of winter!!!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #10 - 01/27/14 at 17:34:13

mild 21c (69.8f) here,kicking back enjoying a cold one on holiday  Tongue

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 01/27/14 at 19:10:06

anebv8 wrote on 01/27/14 at 17:34:13:

21 degrees? I bet your wearing a sweater! Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #12 - 01/27/14 at 20:18:20

arteacher wrote on 01/27/14 at 19:10:06:
anebv8 wrote on 01/27/14 at 17:34:13:

21 degrees? I bet your wearing a sweater! Wink

was down to the t shirt  Cool...mrs had me out working in the garden  :'( ,she don't quite understand the word HOLIDAY  Huh..it means working on the bikes and cars and doing a bit of alcohol tasting nothing else  Wink  Smiley

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 01/28/14 at 00:38:52

Most all of North Am is having a wicked cold winter this year ... we had one of the snowiest December's on record here in eastern Nfld. ... a week mild snap in mid-Jan. did take away much of the snow, but we're in for several more dumpings of the white cement (snow generally isn't "fluffy" here, but water laden, wet and HEAVY!!) over next couple of weeks if forecasts are correct ...
Wish I could hibernate theu the next couple of months ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #14 - 01/28/14 at 02:00:40

seen a massive avalanche on the news tonight, in Valdez Alaska  blocking the only road,man this global warming is getting out of hand

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:25:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › OK, enough winter already!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.