Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Intel -- 2 base cores with 8 energy settings (Read 9 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Intel -- 2 base cores with 8 energy settings
01/25/14 at 06:25:12

Intel has written a new processor map for this year, showing their promised new Cherry Trail chipsets, the really supposedly totally new really really LOW energy use level chips coming out late this year.

The map is splattered with a bunch of the current Bay Trail core 2 duo rewrite stuff showing all sorts of different energy levels and the same (expensive) lack of systems integration.

I am waiting for the hackers to figure out how to hack into the Bay Trail energy nanny chipsets directly, since all the main processor cores seem to be the THE EXACT SAME high energy consumption relatively high output speed Core Duo rewrites that are being choked down by a separate energy nanny chip to act like they are kinda sorta like ARM level chipsets.

Intel will continue to loss leader the pricing of all of these chipsets, paying 15-20% for the privilege of getting out on the mobile playing field at all.   They are taking money from their other chipset businesses to do this.

They continue to lie about energy consumption by using custom tests, since Antutu was rewritten none of the Intel chipsets are showing to be particularly energy efficient in comparison tests.  

Paring up with Android, the Bay Trail generation doesn't do so very well on performance.  Paired up with Microsoft, the products don't do so well on price.

Americans will still buy them though, because we are creatures of habit and we will use what we know rather than learn anything new or better.

==================

Our kids are a different story if I use my own kids as any example.   My daughter and my son-in-law will use a mishmash of OSs and processor types pretty much interchangeably.

They know how to use them all -- they have likes and dislikes about all of them.

My daughter tends to cuss softly under her breath at MS products and she will download a quick installation of Chrome browser to get past most of the crud that exists on an old MS installation if she is using somebody else's machine to do something.

"They will never miss it, there is so much other crap on this machine bogging it down anyway."

She treats my Linux Mint installation the same way,  although I know enough to clean it off after she leaves it.

She currently uses a Mac desktop with Ubuntu loaded on it, a gen 2 I-Pad and an Android phone.   She carries a light thin HP laptop with Ubuntu on it to school (Grad school again, advanced Engineering Communications degree).

My son-in-law is an IT professional so he is Microsoft/Novell certified and he uses whatever he is given to use (IT guys don't get the latest greatest stuff, they "scrounge from the flow" mostly).

His job is to write software extensions to his company's product in a custom Python based language.

What does he use at home?   An old quad core HP desktop with 4-6 operating systems on it, using Grub to bounce between them as needed.

Both use Libre Office at home, saving their work in MS format so they can open it later at work.   Both use Google drive and Drop Box to store their files so they can get to them anywhere.

Our grandkids will be a different story yet, they have cell phones and tablets, but no PC or laptop yet.

They will learn computing on what they have.    Android.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:30:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Intel -- 2 base cores with 8 energy settings

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.