Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What would be a reasonable salvage price? (Read 144 times)
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
What would be a reasonable salvage price?
01/22/14 at 15:31:29

(Finally) heard from the ins. co. today.  My '07 is a total loss.  I'm thinking about buying back the remains to tinker on.  What should that cost me?  $200 ?  

Also they haven't told me what the total loss $$ is. How do they calculate that?  Is it based on replacement value, comparable bikes for sale, or what?...

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: What would be a reasonable salvage price?
Reply #1 - 01/22/14 at 15:35:58

Last I heard, it is roughly if the repairs exceed the market value of the vehicle in the condition it was before the loss.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #2 - 01/22/14 at 16:22:07

I guess I meant how do they determine the "market value", or how much they pay me for the loss?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/22/14 at 16:47:41

look at craigs list and the recycler for prices for your year and local to you.  If you can't go out and buy another from what they give you then it's too little.  also, any upgrades will get you more.

think mine was 150 to keep.

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #4 - 01/22/14 at 19:06:40

runwyrlph wrote on 01/22/14 at 15:31:29:
(Finally) heard from the ins. co. today.  My '07 is a total loss.  I'm thinking about buying back the remains to tinker on.  What should that cost me?  $200 ?  

Also they haven't told me what the total loss $$ is. How do they calculate that?  Is it based on replacement value, comparable bikes for sale, or what?...

Don't know about buy back, but I've had a couple cars totalled and played hardball with the insurance company and got at least half again more than they offered me. You need to be sure to let them know if you did any upgrades, improvements, new tires etc. plus emphasise the condition if it was mint etc.  Local prices for similar bikes is a good thing to have on hand.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 01/22/14 at 20:31:50

Get a copy of Kelly blue book " Retail" price, maybe do a ebay or craigslist and print the highest offers. Fax or email them to the insurance company just to let them "know the going price" for the motorcycle.
A copy of current prices from your nearest dealer would be good also.

Hope this helps....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #6 - 01/22/14 at 20:40:02

1) Total loss...  If the salvage value plus repair is more than the market value, they total it.

Now it gets fun...

They will low ball you.  Have comps.  That is similar bikes in your region (or wider) for sale right now.  Ask for their comps.  You should be able to buy the bikes they show you.  Look at them.  (You might buy one) But you might find substantial defects that remove them from the list.  (Often on the lowball ones)  Also, you might find the numbers they list are not the asking prices.  Seriously!  For me, I had the same vehicle as them listed as a comp and the prices were very different.  The responded, "Well, that is what it will sell for."  But I had a note from the owner refusing to sell for that amount, so they had to use my number...  (You need paper documentation justifying your number and hurting theirs.)  And so it goes.  Eventually you get to a number where you just don't want to fight anymore.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 01/22/14 at 20:45:59

When I crashed the insurance company paid me for my leathers & boots, because they got scuffed, but I kept them, no $$,, I didnt try to keep the bike.,,point is, if you were wearing any Riding Gear & it got damaged AT All,, get paid,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #8 - 01/23/14 at 09:25:34

thanks guys, good advice!  Sounds like negotiation is the key here.  

JOG, yeah my left boot was damaged just a little... (scrubbed thru to the bone)!  Also the EMT's cut my best pair of jeans off me, they were nice enough to take my jacket off instead of cutting it, but that turned out to be a mistake, since my shoulder dislocated in the process (ow!)

I'm gonna go look up some comp's now, try to be prepared...

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 01/23/14 at 09:34:20

In 2009 someone t-boned my 20 year old Land Cruiser. Of course my insurance totalled it, and told me I would get $2700 for it. I did some internet research and found three for sale in Canada. Two were incomplete rebuilds for $4-5 thousand and one was exactly like mine with the same milage for $7000. They wound up giving me $4500 because mine needed rust work.
So don't just lie down and take what they offer.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #10 - 01/23/14 at 09:35:45

That must be why I see guys riding in shorts in summer.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 01/23/14 at 21:11:10

Blue jeans problee wont be covered.. the boots, yea. if the jacket was Motorcycle riding gear, yes, If it was Chess King, or JC penny,, not likely.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #12 - 01/23/14 at 21:20:10

Quote:
if the jacket was Motorcycle riding gear, yes, If it was Chess King, or JC penny,, not likely.

CHESS KING?  Wow... either I haven't been to a mall recently or you and I are freakin' old.... Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 01/23/14 at 21:30:58

Well, both,, I havent been to the mall AND Im freakin OLd And, I still have my $100.00 leather jacket. Its about 23 & looks like butt,, But Im not ditchin it,,

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #14 - 01/23/14 at 21:36:35

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/23/14 at 21:30:58:
Well, both,, I havent been to the mall AND Im freakin OLd And, I still have my $100.00 leather jacket. Its about 23 & looks like butt,, But Im not ditchin it,,

I actually think I still have a Chess King leather jacket in my basement, but it's a rancher's "Outback" long coat. Not much opportunity to wear one of those in Phoenix so it's still in mint condition. Unlike it's owner.... Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:20:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What would be a reasonable salvage price?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.