Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oh MS, it begins, starting right now ..... (Read 84 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Oh MS, it begins, starting right now .....
01/21/14 at 10:24:05

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231118R&nm_mc=AFC-C8...

Warning, it sold out in 2 hours total -- the entire New Egg warehouse stock run

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPIF63G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789...

Hurry,  Amazon only has 12 units left .....

=============

What does this mean?

Ubuntu has achieved acceptance as a general purpose OS, even here in America.

Ubuntu laptops can sell -- and apparently right quick too if they are priced correctly.

How much of this sort of stuff will it take for it to be considered "market momentum"?

Wink

« Last Edit: 01/21/14 at 19:27:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: Oh MS, it begins, starting right now .....
Reply #1 - 01/21/14 at 10:40:53

Odd.... The first link directed me to an open box unit.

The product page goes to generic ASUS.. then you can look for laptops.. check for 11 -13 inch.. and presto the first item is the X200CA ....

BUT it has a touch screen and Win 8...
Clicking on the link there to the NEwegg page brought up this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231117&Tpk=X200CA-DB01T

I think ASUS got butt-hurt with the expensive touch-screen and Win 8.. and recycled those to Unbuntu.

So it may not be a matter of selling NEW unix laptops..but of actually pulling win laptops to sell as open box linux laptops ...

If thats true... wow MS is in a world of hurt.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 01/21/14 at 11:13:08

Microsoft must not allow this to continue.  They have a contingency plan which is to pull Win 7 out of the ashes and sell it at discount.  

Or give it to the OEM's for free and let them revert their existing units.

Here is the rub, there is no Win 7 for the vendor's ARM based processor stocks of prebuilt Win 8 or Win RT units.   This is why Acer is going with Ubuntu.   MS has nothing for ARM to offer them.

It is an emergency time at Microsoft.  If Ubuntu gains market support here in America it is all over for Microsoft.   Even if it means units that can't be sold otherwise with Win 8 or Win 7 or XP it is still a bad thing for folks to be scraping off your OS and using somebody else's.

Expect to see more triage type actions from Microsoft very soon.  They can't be having this to happen, period.  

So far we have seen the life extension of Win XP for another year and we have seen Win 7 jump magically into warehouse stock units that were built over a year after Win 7 had ended.   But they still haven't carried it far enough, apparently.

Expect a new wave of FUD ads and web blog spots and a new wave of MS advertisements about how wonderful Win 8 is.   Some of the FUD will be aimed at Chromebooks, some will be aimed at Ubuntu/Libre Office.

I suspect the upside down public hanging of Ballmer and Sinkofski will have to take place all over again pretty soon.   This time all the tech mag writers will be invited to be there with pinata sticks issued to them to do a little blame banging on their head bones.   It is very important to assign the blame for all of this again to them bad boys again so everyone knows it wasn't MS that did it, no sir,  just that evil headed crazy man and his skinny side kick that we got rid of already.

Microsoft MUST ALSO APPEASE all the article writers, which are starting to turn on MS for them being just plain stupid & greedy in the last 5 years.

These article writers are all now writing about carrying their last year's free Chromebook to CES 2014 after all.    See, Google had good sense in passing out them free Chromebooks, now didn't they?

MS is in trouble and they know it ....

=====================

People are going to be demanding free roll back Win 7 CD's for this past year's purchases -- you all know that don't you?

« Last Edit: 01/21/14 at 18:05:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 01/21/14 at 14:12:28

Indeed...

However, I did get invited to laugh at a isseu we had to day. My officemate supports several student related projects, one is Blackboard which has been very good at cross platfor support. But another ( I forget the name) is a testing program. The student downloads the program and then downloads each test. The program will "lockdown" the computer (no broswer access) until the test is finished and "sent".

So a student wanted to know how to load this on his Chromebook.  yeah.... no such version.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 01/21/14 at 15:19:10

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231118R&nm_mc=AFC-C8...

ASUS X200CA-DB02 Intel Celeron 1007U (1.5GHz) 2GB Memory 320GB HDD 11.6" Notebook Ubuntu

New Egg has found some more Ubuntu units, open box again, $168

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 01/21/14 at 17:56:43

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_14?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&fiel...

Amazon has found a bunch more of some different open box Ubuntu units since earlier tonight.

I count six (6) different offerings at this point in time, but they only have 5 left of the one that was mentioned earlier and only 6 left of the other new cheap one that just appeared.

Cleaning up shop, looks like.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 01/21/14 at 18:26:32

Forbes is a business magazine.   It is a Wall Street dude's publication.

Take a lookie see what Forbes writers think about Win 8 ....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2013/03/14/why-windows-8-is-...

"Why Windows 8 Is The First Windows Release I Absolutely Hate

There, I’ve said it, and I feel better for saying it.

But how does a long-time Windows user, especially someone who loved every other version they tried, get to the point where they have so much hated the latest release?

Before I outline why I don’t get along with Windows 8, let me run through my past experiences with Windows, spanning almost two decades.

Windows 3.x – Can’t remember much, but I do remember thinking that this was the future.
   Windows 95 – Woohoo! I loved the freshness of the user interface.
   Windows NT 4 – Rock-solid reliability. I remember looking enviously at people running consumer versions who could do more stuff with their OS, but this was an acceptable trade-off for having a system that could go for months without needing a reboot.
   Windows 98/ Windows ME –  Never used them, but heard they were quite dire.
   Windows 2000 – Again, more rock-solid reliability.
   Windows XP Professional – I felt that this operating system traded off reliability for features, but that was acceptable.
   Windows Vista – Not as bad as most people made out. Certainly by the time service pack 1 was out, most of the kinks had been ironed out.
   Windows 7 – The problem with this release wasn’t that I didn’t like it, but that it didn’t offer much over what Windows Vista had on offer.

Which brings us to Windows 8. Oh, how I’ve tried to like Windows 8. I’ve been running it since the early previews—actually, I ran the leaked betas too—and I was happy with it until Microsoft unveiled the new user interface. Up until then, Windows 8 felt like an improved version of Windows 7, bringing new features to the table, and a reorganization of the layout of programs such as Windows Explorer.

And then Microsoft went and ruined it.

The problem with Windows 8 is that Microsoft decided to shove a highly inefficient touch-based user interface onto millions of PC users using non-touch desktops and notebooks. I have no problem with the idea of touch on tablets and other systems that have a touchscreen—Windows 8 is actually quite good on these—but forcing people sitting behind desktops and notebooks to change their workflow on a whim is simply asking too much.

And believe me, after trying for months to like Windows 8, I still hate it.

Don’t believe me? Then what about usability expert Jakob Nielsen, who holds a Ph.D. in human–computer interaction? Nielsen slammed Windows 8, calling it ‘disappointing’ for ‘both novice and power users,’ before going on to describing it as “a monster that terrorizes poor office workers and strangles their productivity.”

My only hope for Windows 8 now is that Microsoft comes to its senses and allows us to customize Windows 8 to focus more on the keyboard and mouse. It could achieve this with the service pack 1 update that we expect—if Microsoft holds to historical timetables—to land towards the end of this year. I’m not asking Microsoft to abandon touch, just give people who have no need for it—who, by my estimation account for 99 percent of Windows users—the chance to move it into the background.

I know that there are utilities that can be used to make Windows 8 look like Windows 7—Start8 and Classic Shell are two that spring to mind—using them feels like a dodge to me, an dads a layer between me and the operating system, something which makes troubleshooting tricky.

Why mess around installing Windows 8 and then making it look like Windows 7 when I can just install Windows 7."

« Last Edit: 01/22/14 at 15:54:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 01/21/14 at 18:50:47

I still swear its eating my photo file folders.... there are simply some pictures that I transferred that I can't find anymore.... I even had to go to photobucket and download what I uploaded to get some of them back.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 01/21/14 at 19:38:07

So far this phenomena is only taking place at New Egg,  Amazon,  Asus and Ebay.

Oh, I forgot to tell you about Ebay using Ubuntu to sell off stocks of "open box" machines.    This is just the laptops being moved with Ubuntu.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ubuntu+laptops           (100 machines)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:28:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Oh MS, it begins, starting right now .....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.