Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ooops (Read 97 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
ooops
01/20/14 at 09:22:37

Just taking the fuel pipe off the raptor fuel tap and the brass pipe thats attached came out of the tap - I've pushed it back in and give it a couple of gentle taps with the rubber handle on the screwdriver but is this normal  and should I buy a replacement or what? I don't want to be going along and suddenly turn into the Ghost Rider - flame on Smiley cheers for any advice

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: ooops
Reply #1 - 01/20/14 at 10:02:10

Did you get a genuine Yamaha Raptor petcock....or a Chinese knock off?

I have had this happen occasionally while working on a carb or petcock....it is not a big deal.  Clean it well with a strong solvent like lacquer thinner or brake cleaner including the petcock hole where it goes, then put a tiny amount of epoxy on the brass tube.....then shove it back into the petcock like you did before.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/20/14 at 10:15:07

Id want it on the bench. Banging on it while its mounted just seems like a bad idea. Id go with JB weld. Clean the hole with Berrymans spray to eliminate all oils, clean the tube, apply a thin coat to the tube, but not all the way to the end, shove it in, spank it gently, wipe off the excess that gets scraped off as it goes in leaving a fillet around the tube/petcock body junction. Spinning the tube in a piece of 80 grit putting marks around the tube, not enough to take material off, just scratches that go around & not down the length would give the epoxy something to set in.. Never let go..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #3 - 01/20/14 at 10:34:41

Its the real raptor and I only tapped it JOG2 but will follow advice and take it off and epoxy the thing many thanks for quick replies

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 01/20/14 at 10:38:51

Try to pull it back out... if you can't, yer' good to go...
If you can... better glue it... Tongue...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/20/14 at 14:16:51

Dont try hard enough to mash the thing,,If it doesnt pop right out, maybe put a tiny hose clamp on it & put pliers under it& use a screwdriver to leverage the pliers away from the petcock,,of course, twisting is always a good plan,,,,Hate to see it decide to come out goin down the road,, your little tap on it will likely, over time, be countered by vibration. Im pretty sure they stu8ck it in at the factory,,& it got loose, I wouldnt be happy till it was glued in,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #6 - 01/20/14 at 14:39:16

To be honest I would feel happier with a touch of adhesive in there - just to put me mind at rest

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:24:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ooops

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.