Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
The good and the ugly, help!!! (Read 805 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: The good and the ugly, help!!!
Reply #45 - 02/25/14 at 09:14:53

Even if its in neutral you have to have the clutch in.... wife thinks its silly.... but puts up with it.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #46 - 02/25/14 at 09:36:50

old_rider wrote on 02/25/14 at 09:14:53:
Even if its in neutral you have to have the clutch in.... wife thinks its silly.... but puts up with it.

My wife thinks I am silly as well.....and puts up with it!

My stick shift car is the same.....the clutch has to be pushed in before the starter will work.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #47 - 02/25/14 at 10:19:07

Ok guys, put the battery back on, it read 12.5 volts lights came on but still didn't turn over. So... we jumped the starter and it cranked up Grin. So needless to say the starter switch needs to be replaced right? And once it was running.. After a min or two it began to smoke a little bit from where the header comes off the engine and also where the header and muffler meet... tell me it's not the header?!?!?  Shocked

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #48 - 02/25/14 at 10:26:28

Take the switch apart and clean the contacts..... and did you jump the solenoid or the starter itself with the switch pushed in?

Might be a leaky header pipe gasket, see if the two bolts at the top of the pipe are not loose, and just might need to tighten it up at the muffler clamp for that one also.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #49 - 02/25/14 at 10:28:59

Jumped the solenoid.

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #50 - 02/25/14 at 11:28:51

Then it might just be a bad solenoid, did ya tap on it with a screwdriver? sometimes the solenoid sticks.

IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #51 - 02/25/14 at 11:42:01

We honestly tapped it with a pair of scissors and that's how we got it to start when pushing in the starter, it sparked then started right up... After looking at the clymer manual it says corrosion may occur so we might pull the starter off and clean it and see what happens, if not move from there I guess...

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #52 - 02/25/14 at 11:47:55

Yup, its a process, but looks like you got it in hand. Clean up the connections on all three, starter, start button and solenoid. If it still don't start.. without the solenoid jump, get a new solenoid.

IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #53 - 02/25/14 at 11:58:25

Thanks! I'll keep this page up to remind my husband in the morning. His mom gave us the bike and said she'd pay for it at a shop but... my husband being a guy was like nah we got to learn some how lol might take longer but I'll definitely appreciate my bike more.  Wink

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #54 - 02/25/14 at 14:36:14

That's exactly what i'm doing....LOL.... with my wifes savage, I'm selling my big ol' Harley and getting a savage for myself in the future.

I like the simplicity (well its easier than all the newer bikes) of the model and how it has stayed pretty much the same since the early 90's (I hear the 80's models were a little different).

So if you learn how to work on one, you can work on them all Smiley

IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #55 - 02/28/14 at 09:43:09

Sometimes I just want to throw in the towel! Angry  Went out today to try to crank the bike..no luck. Yesterday I pulled the starter off and cleaned it then put it back on. Husband said he checked the starter solenoid and it read at 4 volts and no corrosion on it. Soo.. Once again we arched it and last time it jumped and cranked up...then time it was turning over but wouldn't start. Maybe we are thinking it is a clogged fuel line because the fuel filter wasn't full with gas. Yet when we took the line off gas was running out so we are thinking it is pinched. But I mean I'm starting to get frustrated with this thing not cranking and my husband saying well we got 3 months til we are suppose to haul it to Gatlinburg TN, we have already had it for three months and barely progress so I'm starting to feel left out on riding while he takes off on his.  Embarrassed Maybe I should take it to a mechanic? But dang I don't want to go broke

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #56 - 02/28/14 at 10:44:38

There is nothing wrong with taking it to a mechanic......if you can find a good honest one that does not have a ton of overhead cost. There are still people out there that will work for $ 25 and hour and do a good job, and I can hook you up with several of them in this area. They are hobbyists or retired folks that don't need you to pay for their 401K, Health Care, IT guy and executive suite offices.  The dealers are high profit and need to be if they are going to stay in business.

Find some local folks that can help hook you up with the right mechanic.  The Savage electric system is pretty simple if you know how to trace some wires and do some troubleshooting.....just jumping the thing without troubleshooting the cause is not going to help you figure out where the problem is....and will continue to frustrate you.  You need a proper diagnosis and cure!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #57 - 02/28/14 at 12:53:39

Was the carb bowl full of gas?  There's a little screw on the bottom of the bowl you can open to make sure there's gas in there or to drain the carb.

I see where you said you pulled the plug.  I know it's silly but sometimes the simplest things are overlooked trying to find something harder to find, you did put the plug wire back on? Make sure the kill switch isn't set to off.  I've been caught by that once or twice until I got used to such a huge button. (Not like a Honda kill switch at all)

When you hit the start button after pulling in the clutch, do you hear 1 relay click or 2 clicks or no clicks?

I'd still be happy to ride over one day and see if I can help.  I'm only about 20 miles away.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #58 - 02/28/14 at 20:26:01

savagechick91 wrote on 01/02/70 at 06:42:40:
Maybe we are thinking it is a clogged fuel line because the fuel filter wasn't full with gas. Yet when we took the line off gas was running out so we are thinking it is pinched.  

If you have a Raptor petcock take the inline filter off.  I had the same problem. I took the inline filter off and it worked fine.

« Last Edit: 02/28/14 at 21:35:50 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #59 - 03/04/14 at 08:29:47

Thanks guys! I relayed all of this to my husband.. He works second shift so it's hard to get him up and working.. Undecided it's usually me working on my own bike lol. I bought a new air filter yesterday. Question... When we got the bike the filter was missing and there was a hornet's nest in there so a genius had the idea to dump gas in there (my husband's brother)  Roll Eyes so fuel was sitting in it. I racked out the nest and cleaned up the gas...but should I still take it apart because fuel could be else where in the air box and cause problems? Or should I just slide in the new filter and it be ok?

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:29:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The good and the ugly, help!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.