Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
The good and the ugly, help!!! (Read 805 times)
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Re: The good and the ugly, help!!!
Reply #30 - 01/21/14 at 11:52:13

That's what I told my husband, shoot we should start a locksmith company lol

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #31 - 01/21/14 at 18:30:44

I had a key made for my car a little over a month ago at a locksmith.  It cost 28.50.  Had to carry the lock cylinder to them.  It's not hard to get the keyswitch off the savage.

Did you call Ellis?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #32 - 01/21/14 at 19:09:02

Might have idk for sure I called so many. What is the name of the shop? Or is it just Ellis locksmith?

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #33 - 01/21/14 at 19:41:53

Steve H wrote on 01/21/14 at 18:30:44:
I had a key made for my car a little over a month ago at a locksmith.  It cost 28.50.  Had to carry the lock cylinder to them.  It's not hard to get the keyswitch off the savage.

Did you call Ellis?

I got quotes from 3 locksmiths in Phoenix for over 120.00 to make a key from the cylinder.  Once I had the key code, the price was under 20.00. It sounds like at least one of the locksmiths called wasn't very competent with motorcycle keys. The dealer not having the key blanks etc.  Angry... well, that's another issue altogether.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #34 - 01/22/14 at 15:51:57

It's Ellis Repair Service. They have lots of motorcycle blanks hanging on the wall. I was tempted while I was there to get a copy of mine for the bike but I have both original keys for my '87 so I don't really need one.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #35 - 01/24/14 at 11:37:24

Praise you Steve! I called Ellis Ima carry the ignition in, $28.50!!!!  I know where I'll be heading monday. Next question guys, if I take my rear seat off there is alot of wiring etc exposed how do I go about putting on a solo seat and moving these things outta sight???

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 01/24/14 at 11:54:31

savagechick91 wrote on 01/24/14 at 11:37:24:
Next question guys, if I take my rear seat off there is alot of wiring etc exposed how do I go about putting on a solo seat and moving these things outta sight???

One thing at a time....Grasshopper.  Get the bike running, make sure it runs, drives, shifts, brakes.....and is a bike worthy of keeping.  When all the bugs are worked out, then you can start to make changes...that way if something goofs up you can then chase it down and identify that it was maybe caused by the recent work.....or a new issue.  If you start moving and changing the wiring right now....how are you going to be able to resolve the running issues that got this bike parked in the first place?

In the meantime.....go to the top of the Rubber Side Down section, look for the Bike Build threads.....and look to see if any of the builds can help you get some ideas.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #37 - 01/24/14 at 12:26:19

Yea that's what I keep telling myself, get it running, get it running. I'm just so excited!!!  GrinThanks everyone.

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #38 - 01/24/14 at 20:14:23

Glad to help.  Hope you get it running soon. They're not all ripoff artists.

IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #39 - 02/24/14 at 20:02:04

Just an update, cleaned the carb, installed the new petcock, changed oil and filter, plus replaced the spark plug. Tried to turn the bike over and the lights would come on but the bike won't turn over ... we charged the battery for what we thought was long enough it read 12.5 volts on the multimeter but we checked the starter and it read zero. I'm so bummed and itching to ride Undecided. We even took the spark plug out and made sure it would go into gear and roll, it did thank God! So I doubt the motor is seized.  Put the battery back on the charger and it's been charging all day. Could it just be a bad battery???  Huh

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #40 - 02/24/14 at 20:05:22

Bummer. Check the battery and see what the output is. If the battery is good you probably have a bad connection or wire someplace.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #41 - 02/25/14 at 01:58:28

savagechick91 wrote on 02/24/14 at 20:02:04:
Just an update, cleaned the carb, installed the new petcock, changed oil and filter, plus replaced the spark plug. Tried to turn the bike over and the lights would come on but the bike won't turn over ... we charged the battery for what we thought was long enough it read 12.5 volts on the multimeter but we checked the starter and it read zero. I'm so bummed and itching to ride Undecided. We even took the spark plug out and made sure it would go into gear and roll, it did thank God! So I doubt the motor is seized.  Put the battery back on the charger and it's been charging all day. Could it just be a bad battery???  Huh

Something tells me :
1) the starter button wiring is bad,
2) the starter solenoid is toast,
3) the big red cable from the battery (+) to the starter motor is not on tight,
4) the starter motor itself is dead.

In that order.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #42 - 02/25/14 at 08:26:16

Appreciate it yall!!! Gonna see if the battery charged right this time then if anything carry it to advance and check the battery to see if it's just bad if not start on your check list, thanks! Wink

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #43 - 02/25/14 at 09:10:59

Could be one of the safety switches is loose or disconnected also... if your battery is putting out voltage and its not getting to the starter.

1. solenoid
2. clutch switch
3. neutral switch
4. stand switch

Every started a savage before?  Put in neutral, hold in clutch.... some bikes you don't have to hold the clutch in.
Just trying to help you cover all the bases.

Hope this helps Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 02/25/14 at 09:13:17

Did you pull the clutch lever in while you tried to start the bike?  I have had mine disconnected for a while.....I can't remember if the clutch safety switch only works when the bike is in gear......or all the time?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:25:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The good and the ugly, help!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.