Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
The good and the ugly, help!!! (Read 805 times)
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Re: The good and the ugly, help!!!
Reply #15 - 01/20/14 at 16:35:21

Thanks for the offer, petcock and manual is gonna take a few to get here but we definitely said we could at least start cleaning the carb. And yea we got a new plug too. Figured we'd go ahead and change all fluids since it has been sitting so long.

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 01/20/14 at 17:45:06

11,000 miles is a little soon for needin a chain. Seems the thing goes away sooner if people only take short trips & the engine goes thru heat up & cool down cycles. Thats when the ratchet grabs another tooth on the tensioner. If the previous owner rode 20 miles at a time, it may not be a bad plan to drop the exhaust & pop the cover & measure the tensioner, but, Id get it running right before I bothered.
IIRC, 17 mm is when the book says its chain time. But get a Verslavy instead.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #17 - 01/20/14 at 18:42:19

Carb's not bad at all.  I think the worst part is getting it off of the bike.

Make sure you've got a nice clean work area.  There are a couple good cleaning guides on here.  Take it easy on the screws on the top and bottom.  They are soft and strip easily.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #18 - 01/20/14 at 19:22:25

Tech section page 1 second post from the bottom

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #19 - 01/20/14 at 19:38:25

Hopefully we have all the right tools and yea getting it running properly is my first goal then start replacing the things that could wait. Then  Roll Eyes ..... I'd love to turn it into a bobber he he he. Just a girl with a dream that's finally reality  Grin

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #20 - 01/21/14 at 06:49:50

savagechick91 wrote on 01/20/14 at 19:38:25:
Hopefully we have all the right tools and yea getting it running properly is my first goal then start replacing the things that could wait. Then  Roll Eyes ..... I'd love to turn it into a bobber he he he. Just a girl with a dream that's finally reality  Grin

I did a poor man's bobber on mine (picture attached). It came with bags and stock white with all the doo-dads.  Removed the signals, chrome, decals, front fender, put on some fat tires, bondo'd the holes and primed everything (paint to be determined). If you're going big tire on the rear wheel, be sure you change out the long bolts holding stuff on, they'll rub. Have fun with it! I've only had mine for a few months and it's really a cool bike and pretty easy to work on. Be sure you read the tech section and search for stuff. There's a LOT of information on this site and it will save you some UH OH DANG! moments.  Shocked

bobber-sp.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 01/21/14 at 07:12:12

Ill never understand the No Front Fender approach. Dirt & debris & water flying unobstructed into my face completely removes the visual gains of how cool they look sans fender. I Like how they look w/o the fender, but I like how the fender fends off attacks by stuff in the road. I think they need a mud flap, like Rowboat has. I Still got some small stuff in the chin.
I cant imagine riding in the rain w/o that fender..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #22 - 01/21/14 at 07:21:22

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/21/14 at 07:12:12:
Ill never understand the No Front Fender approach. Dirt & debris & water flying unobstructed into my face completely removes the visual gains of how cool they look sans fender. I Like how they look w/o the fender, but I like how the fender fends off attacks by stuff in the road. I think they need a mud flap, like Rowboat has. I Still got some small stuff in the chin.
I cant imagine riding in the rain w/o that fender..

Yeah, I like the look too but I'm considering putting one back on after riding it like this for a while. I'll probably do some mods to it. I like some of the really old styles of front fenders, so I'm going to google around for some ideas.

IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #23 - 01/21/14 at 07:52:56

Nice bike, mine too is stock pearl white with all the chrome doo dads... I want to leave it white and put a tan springer seat on it. But have pros and cons about hard tailing it. I really like the look and dont plan on long rides if i do I d ride with my husband on his bike. I basically want a neat cruiser for local riding. Also debating on taking the front fender off because I love the look but my husband tells me it's gonna suck if it's wet out.

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #24 - 01/21/14 at 08:32:58

So aggravated, my husband works second shift,  told me it was my fault I didn't wake him up early enough to work on the bike.. that he don't have time now  Angry day 4 of the bike sitting. Now he just sits playing games saying tomorrow we can start. I'm half tempted to break it down myself but then he told me don't be getting no ideas because I have to make sure I can put it back together. Thinking about labeling zip locks and taking pics along the way. The section did say carb cleaning for dummies lol Tongue

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 01/21/14 at 09:11:06

The big trick is not stripping screw heads out. The right fit of the screwdriver tip in the screw is a big deal. A #2 Philips with the tip ground flat till the X drops into the X in the screw head works, but a JIS tip is designed to fit.,Its not uncommon to see a handheld impact be the best answer. Available for Cheap at Harbor Freight. Just hold it & twist it like youre trying to back the screw out & smack it w/ a hammer. Not like youre trying to bust anything,, just a spank,,Several of those is better than one big Smash. If you dont have a good work space, youll be way ahead with a helper,A solid work bench is a good thing.

Parts carefully laid out makes going back together easy,.A piece of cardboard on the bench, parts on the cardboard, notes on the cardboard, Antisieze on bolts going together, Lots of peo0ple go back with stainless allen heads.. but even stainless & aluminum can get sticky, so antiseize, anyway.

IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #26 - 01/21/14 at 10:49:06

Ok so update, manual, petcock are on the way, getting keys made were just to pricey and dealerships were nuts Shocked so... we found an ignition with a key on ebay that will fit for $50 so we're going that route and just take the tumblers out of the gas tank lock. So we definitely have a project on our hands but definitely worth it thank you all for all your help and input  Wink

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #27 - 01/21/14 at 11:23:10

[quote author=495B4C5B5D5F5952535951030B3A0 link=1390233693/15#26 date=1390330146]Ok so update, manual, petcock are on the way, getting keys made were just to pricey and dealerships were nuts Shocked so... we found an ignition with a key on ebay that will fit for $50 ...

Wow, there must not be much competition among locksmiths in SC. The dealer here would cut a key from the number on the cylinder for 17.00, a locksmith did two sets for me for about 35.00.  I guess I'm spoiled living in a big city...

IP Logged
savagechick91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Woodruff sc
Reply #28 - 01/21/14 at 11:29:00

Yea I'm jealous!  UndecidedThe dealers told me they couldn't find a key and rather switch ignition for $ 220 even though I had the code for the key and a blank I found for $6 when I did find a locksmith they said $60 just for the ignition key to be cut then another told me $120 plus labor! Labor! How hard is it for me to give you a blank and a code and you cut me a key?!? Angry I mean dang, they try robbing you down here in the south! That's why Ima switch the ignition because it's just cheaper. And believe me I will have multiple keys made lol

Cherie Bryant
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #29 - 01/21/14 at 11:36:54

savagechick91 wrote on 01/21/14 at 11:29:00:
Yea I'm jealous!  UndecidedThe dealers told me they couldn't find a key and rather switch ignition for $ 220 even though I had the code for the key and a blank I found for $6 when I did find a locksmith they said $60 just for the ignition key to be cut then another told me $120 plus labor! Labor! How hard is it for me to give you a blank and a code and you cut me a key?!? Angry I mean dang, they try robbing you down here in the south! That's why Ima switch the ignition because it's just cheaper. And believe me I will have multiple keys made lol

Holy cr*p! I could make a living just having people send me their key code and I could get a key cut and mail it to them... That's outrageous! Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:21:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The good and the ugly, help!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.