Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Squeaking/squealing noise from engine (Read 129 times)
jimmysmooth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Squeaking/squealing noise from engine
01/18/14 at 21:54:10

I bought a savage for my sister, and it has been a fixer upper from the beginning. Last summer it stopped running. I couldn't get it to run nor could the shop. Also, they stripped my air/fuel ratio screw. I just got that fixed thanks to all the advice here. I cleaned out the carbs, had a bigger pilot jet added, and changed the stock petcock for a raptor. I got it running with some glitches to fix. The main problem at this point is that the engine makes a squealing noise, and I can hear the squeak very loud in the exhaust pipe. The bike has the correct amount of oil in it. It didn't do this before it stopped running. Do y'all have any thoughts on what this might be? Could it be the cam chain or tensioner?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Squeaking/squealing noise from engine
Reply #1 - 01/18/14 at 23:08:51

I've never heard the cam chain squeak.
more likely you have a broken baffle in the muf.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 01/19/14 at 04:21:32

I was going to say the same thing.  I have read on here that the stock muff can squeak sort of like the old vw beetle mufflers as it gets older.  That should be easy to determine.  Just remove the muff and see if you still have the sound.  

Don't leave it this way.  It'll put a much bigger load on the head-pipe to engine connection.  Shouldn't be a prob for testing, I don't believe.  Might be time for the Dyna muffler upgrade.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #3 - 01/19/14 at 06:07:56

+1 on the previous answers. If you have the stock muffler, there is a good chance that it is the problem.  Shortly after I bought mine, It started making a chirp from the muffler. So then I had the worst of both worlds-- A muffler that sounded like both a sewing machine and a flock of birds.

A Harley dyna muffler is the ideal muffler for these bikes.  Lighter weight, more stylish, easy to mount, not to loud as long as you don't knock out the baffle plate and no packing to blow out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/19/14 at 06:38:50

Be thee Careful when you decide to start ripping that old muffler off. Once youve got the rear supports loose & the clamp loose & start wrestling, the only bolts holding it are those Teeenee Weenee (& I DO mean that Weeenee part) exhaust bolts on the head.If it doesnt slide on off pretty easy, youd be ahead to pull the whole assembly & fight it on a bench.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jimmysmooth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/19/14 at 07:09:30

Yeah, I wish it were that simple. The guy before me already took the stock muffler off and put on a home made straight pipe with no baffles. There is nothing to squeak on that. Also, I hear the squealing coming from the engine and louder in the muffler as it lets the exhaust out. Any other suggestions?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 01/19/14 at 07:18:55

Maybe a leaking exhaust gasket although I can't see where it could get much pressure to leak with a straight pipe.

Can you tell when the squeak occurs?  is it just after the exhaust pulse or during the dead time before it happens?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 01/19/14 at 07:26:46

How long has it made the noise? When did it start? Did it start when he changed the muffler? Is it getting worse? Have you checked for a leak at the muffler to header joint? Does it sound like metal being ripped apart? Or a whistle? Have you looked at the oil? Is it sparkly?

We arent there. You see things & hear things & have time with it we dont. If its a mystery to solve, we need clues,.,dont be afraid to type. WE will read it & try to help you solve the mystery. BUt we gonna need some clues,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/19/14 at 08:46:17

I'm amazed that you can hear anything over the deafening roar of a straight pipe... so may I suggest tinnitus?

I did have a squealer, it was loud, intermittent... like once a day.  until it failed, turned out to be a bad bearing.

WWW   IP Logged
jimmysmooth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/19/14 at 19:33:19

So I started her up and took a closer listen on the different part of the bike, and it turns out that all of you are right. The noise is loudest and fairly concentrated at the end of the tailpipe. There is a section that is welded, so maybe there is a hole or some rust that is making the noise. I am going to try to sand that or re-do the weld to see if that helps. Thanks for all your input.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:24:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Squeaking/squealing noise from engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.