Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Moonshot -- contacts that monitor blood sugar (Read 43 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
New Moonshot -- contacts that monitor blood sugar
01/16/14 at 21:39:41

http://liliputing.com/2014/01/google-testing-smart-contact-lenses-monitor-glu...

OK, Google is into robotics and instrumentation in a big way now.   They are branching out looking for groundbreaking new industries in the making.

They are now polling the very smartest young people up to young professionals to see what they can dream up and when the golden nugget ideas appear Google funds them as Moonshots.

(The theory being that the Apollo program yielded most of the USA's original technical lead over the rest of the world, and that Google's Moonshots can do the same again)

Take this monitoring system and combine it with a in-bedded and fully miniaturized insulin pump system and you got some right decent progress towards handling diabetes better/smoother.

Wink     As one of the stick me twice a day boys, I appreciate this effort.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New Moonshot -- contacts that monitor blood su
Reply #1 - 01/16/14 at 21:49:35

Wont be long till theyve got sensors in our drawers so they can tax us for fartin,, They better be tuff. Im thinkin I can "One Fart, knock them OUT" unless theyre potted in high temp epoxy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/16/14 at 21:58:27

if you have inbeded pump with direct access to blood... why would you need an eyeball reader?

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 01/17/14 at 06:04:51

Insulin pumps are not embedded- they are worn on your belt.
The problem is the time lag between the administration of insulin and it's effect on blood sugar levels- about 20 min. The other problem is that you would have to have a line out for blood samples as well as a line in, and you would face coagulation problems. The ideal solution (and I'me sure somebody is working on it) is an internally mounted unit similar to a pacemaker that injects insulin directly into the blood stream, and monitors levels directly as well. Then how do you get the insulin to the machine? Add to that the problem that insulin degrades slowly at room temp (you need to keep it refrigerated) and would degrade quickly if stored at body temp.
I inject 6 times/day, and it is a real PITA. Sad

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 01/17/14 at 06:09:17

I have a bud that has a direct inject system, all he has to do is change the insulin pack when its empty. He has a unit like a cell phone that monitors his levels and tells him when he needs to replace the empty unit pack.
He can also tell the pump how many calories he is going to consume in a meal (his best guess) and the unit will monitor and add as needed.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 01/17/14 at 06:18:26

old_rider wrote on 01/17/14 at 06:09:17:
I have a bud that has a direct inject system, all he has to do is change the insulin pack when its empty. He has a unit like a cell phone that monitors his levels and tells him when he needs to replace the empty unit pack.
He can also tell the pump how many calories he is going to consume in a meal (his best guess) and the unit will monitor and add as needed.

I have looked at those- they are silly expensive, not usually covered under health plans. BTW your bud is inputting carbs, not calories.
And he still has to prick his finger to monitor sugar levels, unless there is something out there that I haven't heard of.
That contact lens would be ideal if it communicated with a pump.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 01/17/14 at 06:22:10

yup, still does the finger thing, he is ex military so is covered under the va or some such.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 01/17/14 at 07:39:41

Cool of tech... I approve.

I do hope that someday...biotech will come up with more permanent solutions.. grow-your-liver type options.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #8 - 01/17/14 at 09:44:25

I stick 4x a day and inject 3x. I was hoping for the wrist watch effort that used either some sort of UV light or used chemical analysis of skin surface (sweat maybe) to check glucose levels every 20 minutes. I can always dream.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:24:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › New Moonshot -- contacts that monitor blood sugar

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.