Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shared Tank Cleaning Link (Read 73 times)
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Shared Tank Cleaning Link
01/16/14 at 06:47:04

Dave,
Hope you don't mind but I shared your write up on tank cleaning in the tech section with a guy on the Volusia forum. He picked up a 72 Suzuki 125 and was thinking about using hydrochloric acid. Nice write up and thanks.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Shared Tank Cleaning Link
Reply #1 - 01/16/14 at 07:45:16

I don't mind you sharing that Tank Cleaning link.  If anyone can benefit from what I learned through trial and error......it's OK with me!

The Evaporust is great as it will not hurt paint, will not erode the steel, will not hurt our skin or the stuff in your garage, and it only goes after the rust.

Phosporic acid is a far better choice if you need to do any acid work.  Some acids can make the steel brittle, and Phosphoric acid won't do that.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/16/14 at 11:31:01

Phosphoric turns iron oxide into iron phosphate, It only works on a single layer of rust. If the rust is a flake, sitting in a pit, the upper level will react & shield the lower part from the acid.So, if the rust is more developed than a single layer, gotsta rattle something around in there to beat it down, then slosh the juice in it,.It Used to be called Ospho ( dont get the gel)but now, the name is changed, same jug,. same stuff & LO & Be Hold,, it actually costs LESS! Get it at Kelley Moore for around $6.00 a quart. REad the destructions, slosh it, dump it, let it sit, the rinse, but I cant remember how many hours,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/17/14 at 03:47:20

In my new approach....I only use the Phosphoric acid to remove the flash rust that occurs after using hot water to rinse out the Evaporust and flush all the crud out.  It takes several flushings with water before the water comes out clean and all the little bits are gone.  Using hot water is effective - but no matter how fast you get the tank dried there will be a small trace of a yellow rust tinge on the metal.  I now flush with the Phosporic Acid....then use E85 from a gas station to remove the Phosporic Acid.  I used to use Acetone - but that stuff is really hard on paint!  The ethanol in the E85 will remove the Phosporic acid and doesn't hurt the paint.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 01/22/14 at 00:43:20

another product that works well is The Works toilet bowl cleaner, though it will hurt paint

one fellow I know did this:
put a buch of nuts in the gas tanks and sealed it
put it in the clothes dryer wrapped in a blanket  (use no heat cycle and DON'T do it when your SO is home)
then hit the tank with The Works, then rinse several times, then use the ospho

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 01/22/14 at 06:29:08

That's a good one Art Webb, especially the advise of doing it with your SO not home!   Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/22/14 at 07:15:35

ToesNose wrote on 01/22/14 at 06:29:08:
That's a good one Art Webb, especially the advise of doing it with your SO not home!   Cheesy

Reminds me of the time I snuck a transmission mount into the oven to cure some epoxy rubber I had added (while the wife was away).  At the time I didn't have a heated garage and the rubber epoxy would not cure in the cold garage.  The factory mount was a bit too loose and would go "bump,bump" when the transmission shifted.  Filling up the open areas in the mount snugged it up a bit and solved that problem and made the noise go away.....anyhow.....I had put the mount in the oven at a low temperature and turned the oven off after it reached 200 degrees.....I figured the cool down period was just long enough to cure the rubber well.

My wife came home, and proceeded to cook some Tofu in the oven.....and never even noticed the transmission mount or the strange rubber smell in the house.....and she never commented about the Tofu tasting strange.  I guess she just shoved the tray into the oven and it pushed the mount to the back of the oven.....and she never saw it. Shocked

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 01/22/14 at 07:30:28

tofu probably tastes better with a bit of ou du rubber.

WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 01/22/14 at 08:12:00

Eck tofu.....I'll take the rubber   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:24:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Shared Tank Cleaning Link

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.