Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I like this energy idea, always have (Read 127 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
I like this energy idea, always have
01/14/14 at 07:45:39

Seen this idea about 4 years ago... and still think this guy has it solved in a nutshell and hope our country does it first.
Wish I had a few million to donate to his experiment

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Solar-Roadways/41869107125

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: I like this energy idea, always have
Reply #1 - 01/14/14 at 08:49:36

http://www.solarroadways.com/intro.shtml?vm=r

It would have to be very cheap to produce.
efficiencies would not be very high and maintenance would be constant.
dirt, rubber, grease would need to be cleaned off on a regular basis.
car fires, accidents not to mention traffic.  Being lower than a snakes belly, anything will shade the panels.

While it would be good to use the vast rural, interstate hwys, intercity doesn't make sense.  Far better use would be solar roofs.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/14/14 at 09:13:57

The large amount of area would allow for a lot of energy collection - as long as the traffic remained sparse.  Get in a traffic jamb and the cars will be shading the pavement.

I believe the physical needs of a solar panel and of a roadway are not at all similar.  The clear shiny solar panel surface would provide good traction when it is bright and sunny out (and power) - but I bet it is really slippery when it rains (and makes no power).  You are also limited by the slope and grade of the roadway - how do you make a road that is always facing the sun?  Do you only use the roadway between 10 AM and 4 PM when the sun is most intense?

I bet that this won't pan out - making a roadway with solar panels along the side the road that are not driven on, and can be angled to get the full effect of the sun would be more workable.  Or a roadway powered by a hydroelectric generating plant....or nuclear......or dialithium crystals? 

I am not sure how we will solve the worlds energy needs.  It doesn't seem right that we buy plastic stuff made in China, they ship it on a Container Ship to California, we through it on a Semi-Truck that drives to Kentucky, they unload it and sell it in Walmart for $ 5.98.  It seems like we need to live a bit closer to work, buy things that are locally made, and save our fuel for trips to the Dragon!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 01/14/14 at 09:48:12

I am more of a Thorium reactor type guy.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 01/14/14 at 20:22:53

This is his newest video,
He is currently experimenting with the system in cold climate, to prove its viability.
He expounds on the system and ideas, I seen the idea years ago and thought how cool it would be to actually get it funded.
New technology that could actually create jobs and help with our energy crisis.
Not saying it would happen immediately, but if it were approved on a larger scale, I would even like to be in on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPKytx9dJ54

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 01/15/14 at 20:41:34

Dave wrote on 01/14/14 at 09:13:57:
The large amount of area would allow for a lot of energy collection - as long as the traffic remained sparse.  Get in a traffic jamb and the cars will be shading the pavement.

I believe the physical needs of a solar panel and of a roadway are not at all similar.  The clear shiny solar panel surface would provide good traction when it is bright and sunny out (and power) - but I bet it is really slippery when it rains (and makes no power).  You are also limited by the slope and grade of the roadway - how do you make a road that is always facing the sun?  Do you only use the roadway between 10 AM and 4 PM when the sun is most intense?

I bet that this won't pan out - making a roadway with solar panels along the side the road that are not driven on, and can be angled to get the full effect of the sun would be more workable.  Or a roadway powered by a hydroelectric generating plant....or nuclear......or dialithium crystals? 

I am not sure how we will solve the worlds energy needs.  It doesn't seem right that we buy plastic stuff made in China, they ship it on a Container Ship to California, we through it on a Semi-Truck that drives to Kentucky, they unload it and sell it in Walmart for $ 5.98.  It seems like we need to live a bit closer to work, buy things that are locally made, and save our fuel for trips to the Dragon!

You really need to look at some of his videos. The glass is tough enough to drive a fully loaded semi on... it is textured so as to provide even more traction than a blacktop road. the solar chips have the available light directed onto them by the glass bubbles which have been cut underneath at six different angles that actually focus the light directly onto the chip.
The only real downside is the clouds....and night time... the storage of energy will have to be worked out, just like power station storage there would have to be banks of capacitors station along the road routes for times of low power.
Currently large capacitors being made take a really long time to produce, the road would probably be waiting for them.
He already has companies lined up and making the products... and they all are here in the US.
Like I said, I hope he gets it approved for at least the southern roads to start... someone HAS to let this thing get made for like a ten mile strip somewhere....LOL

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 01/15/14 at 21:46:53

So  Wink

If half the roofs in America were solar-pannels and tied to the grid ???

How could we as a nation store all of it ???   Hint!  it would be a great time to have the vechiles pluged up and charging .  Huh

Seems ... We need a Hero Company to set it in motion  ,   I might even buy a electric car (with on-board-generator back-up).

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 01/17/14 at 05:50:43

He talks about the tech today we have for charging a battery wirelessly that could actually be incorporated into the road itself, charge while you drive your EV extending your mileage.
It drives me nutz to hear this guy talk and no one is listening, he did get a grant from the gov. though... so maybe they might be thinking about it.
Imagine all those aircraft parking ramps, taxiways and runways being converted. It would power the whole base without being hooked to the grid.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #8 - 01/17/14 at 08:02:21

As much fun as it is to think small.. I feel ( notice I did not say think) that larger "grid" size systems will be key.  The best and what SHOULD be happening RIGHT NOW.. is the use of Vanadium Redox batteries. These are huge extremely effcient batteries that can stire large amounts of eletricy ( think city amounts) and store and realese it over and over... with little downgrade to the battery itself.
Already it has been propose to help our aging and over whelmed grid to smooth out electricy use throughout even a normal day. But of course the real value is in period of power brownouts and power loss.

I would really like to see some of this being taken much more seriously.  For instance in Jackson MS.. the state capital.. all 3 major hospitals are within just a few miles of each other. When the power goes out ... they all go out. How stupid it that?? Then lets use katrina... when power goes out all the hospital turn on thier generators... which run on deisel.. greeeat... but what happends when the gas stations that have no power cant pump the diesl out for the generators? oh yeah...

So why not have the each of the hospitals power themselves via fuel cell .. 100% of the time. BTW the by-product of fuel cells is heat... so free heat during the winter. This runs on natural gas.. and generally is available even when the power is out.  Then link the three back to each other so each is a backup to the other.. and since they are on the grid and using it as a back up to each other .. let them be a backup or battery to the city as well given they have excess.  Toss in a city sponsored Redox battery and gee a much more stable power grid. Oh wait ... that makes sense and government doesnt do sensible things.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 01/17/14 at 09:46:15

I went lookin at Vanadium batteries. Sounds good, but the technology isnt quite ready,, may never be.. Or, maybe even With the costs & limitations, its a good idea,, sure sounds smarter than Nukular POwer,, that stuffs wrecking the planet,,

he energy density of VRBs
depends on the concentration of vanadium: the higher the concentration, the higher the
energy density. Sulfuric acid solutions, the electrolyte used in current VRBs, can only hold
a certain number of vanadium ions before they become oversaturated, and they only allow
the battery to work effectively in a small temperature window. In addition, VRBs usually
require expensive polymer membranes due to the highly acidic and oxidative environment,
which lead to high system costs. The low energy densities and small operating temperature
window, along with high capital cost, make it difficult for the current VRBs to meet the
performance and economic requirements for broad market penetration.

2 page PDF w/ pics.

http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/VRB.pdf

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 06/24/14 at 15:06:09

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 06/24/14 at 16:50:21

Yup, made 2.2 mil, 2nd highest indiegogo campaign.
I'm on the support team...just internet stuff....sent out tons of shares on facebook, a few emails, nothing big.
Scott and Julie are going to use the money to higher some other engineers and techs to add his team and improve the already working system he has.
The near by town has ok'd a parking lot and a sidewalk and a few cross walks for the next stage.
And its up north, so I guess it will be a couple years before they get into using it for the mainstream.
I would really like to be one of the assemblers or help with the on the job stuff, but not sure I can relocate to do it (or even if I could stand the work, until I fix my back).
We shall see, I could actually go if they had some kind of solid income for the prototype, that way I could rent a place, maybe I could share a place or borrow a trailer or rv.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 06/24/14 at 18:32:35

storage needs  to be addressed  I think this may be something:
ambri battery

standing for those who stood for US