Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New Speedo underreads What now ? (Read 343 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
New Speedo underreads What now ?
01/14/14 at 04:23:32

OK, so a looong  time ago I bought myself a nice speedo to fit on the handlebars next to the Tach, as you can see in the picture.

The pic was deliberately taken when the odo clocked egg-zactly 55 thousand Km  Cool

So... I unfastened the cable from the tank-mounted speedo, fastened the cable (GT550 tacho cable) of the bar-mounted speedo and away I went into the sunset, happy as a lark right ?
Roll Eyes
WRONG !
Shocked
Unfortunately... this speedo underreads by at least 10%...  Lips Sealed

I mean, at 4000 rpm the OEM speedo reads 100 Km/h (60mph) whereas this one reads a mere 90Km/h (55mph)
Angry
This is definitely no go !

At the moment I have 150790x15 rear tire, which will give a 5% higher final drive ratio; then I fitted chain drive which is 17/49 (=2.88:1) as opposed to the 2.94:1 of the OEM belt drive... which is another 2 % more...

So I already have the bike running at least 7% faster than the tank-mounted speedo will read... (110km/h on gps Vs. 100~105 speedo reading)

I sincerely cannot accept to have a bar mounted speedo reading overall 10-15 % LESS than my true speed ! (and distance... Roll Eyes )

Other than "chuck it", any suggestions ?

These things are expensive, they come at around €100 (=$130) here in Italy !   Tongue

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: New Speedo underreads What now ?
Reply #1 - 01/14/14 at 05:26:36

I just had a hunch and checked with RYCA's website, the speedo they sell is 60=2240 meaning 60mph (100Km/h) is 2240rmp on the speedo cable.

Their speedo is rated at 160mph (260 Km/h) while mine is rated at 220 Km/h (140mph)

See RYCA's speedo below compared to mine:

I could... splash yet another $130 on yet another speedo (I bought one, plain jane speedo, then found another with tripmeter and idiot lights, both rated at 220Km/h, each a nice $130)
but isn't a 160mph speedo a bit overkill on a 75mph bike ?  Huh

unfortunately, although one reads 80mph at 12o'clock, while the other reads 110Km/h=70mph... both seem to be rated 2240:60... Lips Sealed

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 01/14/14 at 05:42:59

Have you used a gps to clock your speedo to see how far either one are off?
Did you spin the GT550 by hand before you installed to see if it was turning freely?
And how old is the GT550 cable? (slippage maybe? not sure if a slipping one would give a consistant reading)
Sounds like you took all the ratio's into account, so other than cable problems, I would think it would be the speedo is off.
I used to be a big fan of adjustable gauges and meters, what ever happened to those?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #3 - 01/14/14 at 07:02:24

Thanks Old_Rider;

The cable I used is an old surplus cable (= bought second hand off eBay.it) from a GT380/550, it is exactly the same as the Savage's speedo cable, only longer.

One end has the offset tab to fit into the offset slot of the gearbox; the other end is square section just like the OEM cable.

If the cable snagged, the needle would be hopping all over the place, no such thing.

If the cable slipped, I would have different speedo readings at the same tacho speed, it isn't happening.

So the cable is good.

Adjustable speedos are electrical, and you set calibrate them via an adjustable resistor or coil or condenser in the RLC circuitry inside the speedo itself.

This speedo, on the other hand, is mechanical, so all I can say is "gosh, will I have to get myself a 260 Km/h speedo for a 120Km/h bike"?

Talk about overkill...  Roll Eyes

I may resort to using the longer cable to relocate the OEM speedo to the handlebars... when matched to the smaller tacho it will look ugly as Betty, but who knows...

IIRC there's someone here n the Forum with the OEM speedo mounted on the bars ?  Undecided

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 01/14/14 at 07:05:44

On the other hand, a 160 mph speedo could be converted into a 160 Km/h speedo with a "reduction converter",
basically a "box with gears" where I plug in a cable from the gearbox and another (short) cable which spins 1.6:1, into this 160 mph speedo.

The result would be a 160 Km/h speedo !  Cool

Anybody care to help me out ? I already have the basic project done !

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/14/14 at 07:11:48

I have seen little mechanical devices that change the ratio of the speedo drive - used when people change the rear end ratios or install larger tires.  I have not looked to see if one is available to fit the Savage, and it might look a bit weird on the Savage as it is a little box that would have to be installed on one end of the cable (engine or speedo end), or the cable can be cut and the cable modified to install the box in the middle of the cable.

I have a feeling that the cost will be more than just getting a proper reading speedo - but this company is one of the best for either providing you with a ratio adapter - or calibrating your speedo.
http://www.nhspeedometer.com/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 01/14/14 at 08:05:19

Dave wrote on 01/14/14 at 07:11:48:
I have seen little mechanical devices that change the ratio of the speedo drive - used when people change the rear end ratios or install larger tires.  I have not looked to see if one is available to fit the Savage, and it might look a bit weird on the Savage as it is a little box that would have to be installed on one end of the cable (engine or speedo end), or the cable can be cut and the cable modified to install the box in the middle of the cable.

I have a feeling that the cost will be more than just getting a proper reading speedo - but this company is one of the best for either providing you with a ratio adapter - or calibrating your speedo.
http://www.nhspeedometer.com/

Thanks, Dave, this is EXACTLY what I had in mind !

I would use the OEM speedo cable from the gearbox to the adapter, anopther OEM cable from the adapter to the speedo, and
Presto !
160 mph speedo becomes 160 Km/h (100mph) speedo !  Cool

Unfortunately their website seems to be locked, not one link worls...  Lips Sealed

I'll try emailing them, see what they suggest  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 01/14/14 at 09:03:09

If precision is what drives you, then a electronic speedo like Vepor VR-1 or Vapor trail tech might be easier.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/14/14 at 10:45:52

verslagen1 wrote on 01/14/14 at 09:03:09:
If precision is what drives you, then a electronic speedo like Vepor VR-1 or Vapor trail tech might be easier.

I did the Trailtech Vapor, and it is accurate - but it does not provide the Vintage look that a matched set of gauges hanging on the top fork yoke provides.

« Last Edit: 01/28/15 at 13:09:00 by Dave »  

IMG_0810_001.JPG

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 01/15/14 at 01:47:16

Couldn't agree more  Smiley after all, we ride a big single, not a wankel/electric/thorium powered slingshot !  Cheesy

Is it my imagination, or does the rev counter on the digital wotsit start from 3ooo rpm and scream all the way to 10 thousand?
Huh
How can one make best use of the rev counter if you must shift by the time you reach 4500/5000 rpm?
Roll Eyes

Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 01/15/14 at 04:42:31

I went with the digital route as I have changed my tire size, and am screwing around with the gearing to see what works best for me.  I currently have a 25 tooth Kawasaki EN454 front pulley and a Kawasaki 65 tooth rear pulley from a KZ750.  Not sure what the final set up will be - but I have the potential for 3 different ratios and since I am not changing my front wheel....my speedo stays accurate no matter what I do to the gearing.

The numbers on the sweep tach don't start until 2 thousand and go up to 12 thousand - but there is a digital counter on the bottom right side of the screen for reading the digital rpms so you can accurately see your idle speed.  Also you can program in a yellow shift light for whatever rpm you want, and a red warning light for the max revs.  I believe I have my yellow light set for 5,500 and the red at 6,000....or something like that.  The red lght is not a rev limiter.....so when it lights up you just know that you are over the rpm you have programmed in as a warning.

There is also a recall button so you can see the max rpm, max speed, time on trip, time spent riding, engine temp, etc.  I don't believe the 7,480 rpm shown is accurate - I have to install a little bigger resister in the tach wire, as there is a certain spot in the rpm range where the tach spikes for one breif jump in rpm even though the engine speed stays constant.

Ton_Up.jpg

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 01/15/14 at 07:21:10

Dave wrote on 01/15/14 at 04:42:31:
... and since I am not changing my front wheel....my speedo stays accurate no matter what I do to the gearing.

That presents another option, many of the '80's gs series have the same front tire size and have a front wheel driven speedo.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 01/15/14 at 07:53:03

Put a shorter rear tire on it?
If its off 10%, & you KNOW its off 10%, then, while it may be irritating, just because its not "right", you know how fast youre going,, Heck, my gas gauge doesnt even MOve for like, 150 miles or so,, then it comes down fast, then hits "The Big E" & it will go another 40 miles or so, its FAR from an accurate gas gauge, but, it gives me enough info that I know what to do.,.& a speedo that actually off a known %age? Hey,, I can do a 10% adjustment in my head. Ive read your posts,,Im thinkin you can too,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 01/16/14 at 07:10:59

Yes, of course I can mentally adjust to calculate an eztra 10% to the shown speed.

It is not as nice to know the odometer is underreading by 10%... Sad

It is already very annoying to know I have a 140mph speedo on an 80mph bike...
...imagine when the tach says you're doing 70-75mph... and the speedo struggle to read 60-65... Tongue

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 01/16/14 at 11:21:44

mpescatori wrote on 01/16/14 at 07:10:59:
Yes, of course I can mentally adjust to calculate an eztra 10% to the shown speed.

It is already very annoying to know I have a 140mph speedo on an 80mph bike...
...imagine when the tach says you're doing 70-75mph... and the speedo struggle to read 60-65... Tongue

Yeaaa,, thats a bit of a bummer, tryin to figure wher that "time to refill" moment is. But, you get to 110 on the Odo, youre at 100..
& the wonky conflict between the tach & speedo? I think that would be the one I disliked the most. Question IZZZ, just how much Munneee is it worth? Those "Impedance matching boxes" with the gears to make iot work out look pricey And, well,, kinda clunky to have in the speedo line..
In recent years Ive been forced to accept things & let things be "Less Than" what I really want, due to health. My makeup, all my life, has been what would easily be called anal.,Id spend hours hiding wires when Id move & set up the stereo. Id spend hours adjusting bearings on the 10 speed. To be fair, it was a very different design, the front sprocket kept spinning even when I stopped pedaling. It would change gears w/o pedaling & had a buncha bearings in places other bikes didnt & they were single, no races,,Anyway, Ive learned to let things go that arent "show stoppers". Im not sure how I feel about it, but Im not seeing any real "loss" by not doing things "To the gnats ass" like I did.
I gotta tell ya, I was always impressed by Diggers pics. His garage was always spotless. Whoda guessed ASStronauts were anal?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:27:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Speedo underreads What now ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.