Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Grumpy old men
01/13/14 at 14:10:51

Thats me....

The Vstar I bought is 2 missing chrome or polished SS phillips screws holding the stock windshield to the mounts. I pulled one out and went to the local ACE hardware store where I normally go and buy such parts. They have a very large selection! Before there was this old man that would assist me.. or he would just make himself available while I puttered about trying to come up with what I wanted. In this way I replaced the two screws on the break fluid, new screws for the rear of the seat, long screws and rubber stoppers for the front of the set... on and on( all on the savage)... I knew what I doing.

So this young blond long haired teen boy... asks what I need and I say I need a screw just like this one. He goes over to the zinc plated standard bolts and hands me one ( 1/4 ").. Mine is metric, and phillips head, and chrome. He digs through the SS .. still in standard and pulls out a phillips but it has high hard shoulders.. not "flat" like the dressy bolt I have.
Kid "Chrome is $4 each, you don't want that"
he unlocks the chrome and digs out one but it has shoulders too. Tosses it back in, never letting me look, and locks everything back up.

Me: "yall got anything else?"

Kid: "I showed you all we got" and with that he leaves .. never to return and with me just standing there.

I dig around but not in the chrome as they are now locked away. I find some metric polished stainless but they are hex head. I find a nice SS 1/4 with slightly softer sides and find a good open acorn nut. The nut is $2.46, and the bolt is $.43 .... I buy the pair.. which still leaves me one short but I wanted to see if it was "good enough".
You can tell they dont match, I could replace all 8 bolts, except they dont have 8 of them.  Plus thats nearly $24. ( though I could probably not use the expensive acorn nuts on the lower 4).

Anyway... it really made me grumpy the rest of the day.

PS: oh yeah I rode the vstar around town abit... less than 50 miles, but hey its 2 wheeeling...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Grumpy old men
Reply #1 - 01/13/14 at 14:18:39

I have this local ACE hardware store that is incredible.  They cater to the commercial trade more than most ACE stores, and they have a far better selection than most.  Their nut and bolt aisle is probably 40 feet long and has drawers that are about 6 feet tall.  I spend most of my time in the stainless metric section - especially the pan head with the allen drive and I have used them for mounting almost everythng on my Cafe' conversion. - they really polish up nicely!

I went over there a few weeks ago and went back to my favorite spot as I needed some to complete my new front fender installation.  I was absolutely horrifed to see.....the new shipment of my favorite screws has letters stamped in the top!  Ugly, nasty, foul looking letters in what used  to be a clean shiny screw head!  Luckily I was able to get enough of the old style in the size and length I needed.

Change is not good for us older guys.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/13/14 at 14:45:11

I go to a dedicated Nut & Bolt store on the "Industrial side" of town. If they dont have what I want, they order it in. I got a 3 foot, 3/8ths piece of SS allthread for under $5.00.. I cant tell ya the $$ & hassle Ive saved by buying from people who deal in the product I need. That translates to other things, too. Like lighting. Electrical stuff, plumbing, etc. Yea, you CAN get what ya need from a hardware store, but, youll pay more.
For exaMPLE, I need grease, I go to a place that sells bushings & bearings or to a place that services & sells heavy equipment.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/13/14 at 14:47:33

"what days you off... shaggy?"

"I'll be back"

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 01/13/14 at 16:17:33

It has always been a policy of mine to complain to management if I have not been treated well, and also to complement staff to management if staff have gone the "extra mile" for me.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 01/13/14 at 16:51:50

"...and pull yer' dang pants up!"... Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #6 - 01/13/14 at 17:04:04

arteacher wrote on 01/13/14 at 16:17:33:
It has always been a policy of mine to complain to management if I have not been treated well, and also to complement staff to management if staff have gone the "extra mile" for me.

Which rarely works around here due to the fact the "management team" are all pimple-faced kids barely out of puberty! Their answer is "So! That's what we got!".

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 01/13/14 at 20:08:53

Thats the way I do bidniss! Ive talked to supervisors to let them know that If I was running a business & needed someone really good, Id be tryin to steal "That Person" out from under them,, OR,, send them for training, depending on services rendered,
Im sure you meant compliment,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 01/14/14 at 00:17:12

ZAR wrote on 01/13/14 at 17:04:04:

Which rarely works around here due to the fact the "management team" are all pimple-faced kids barely out of puberty! Their answer is "So! That's what we got!".

My answer to that one is a question... "whats your store number?" ", and "who is your regional manager, what is his number?". Works like a charm, and if it doesn't, I immediately call the number they give me to see if someone in the building answers it, if it rings within hearing distance, I start asking names, if that doesn't work, I go home and hit the internet to see what I can stir up. Usually I have my kindle with me and if there is a wireless within range I can come up with a number to call to complain. I dislike being treated like a chump......

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 01/14/14 at 08:30:39

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/13/14 at 14:45:11:
I go to a dedicated Nut & Bolt store on the "Industrial side" of town. If they dont have what I want, they order it in. I got a 3 foot, 3/8ths piece of SS allthread for under $5.00.. I cant tell ya the $$ & hassle Ive saved by buying from people who deal in the product I need. That translates to other things, too. Like lighting. Electrical stuff, plumbing, etc. Yea, you CAN get what ya need from a hardware store, but, youll pay more.
For exaMPLE, I need grease, I go to a place that sells bushings & bearings or to a place that services & sells heavy equipment.

I actually have done this... but its strickly 8-5 monday through Friday... and about 30 miles round trip.
I forget the grade now.. maybe grade 8 ... anyway I needed some really tough threaded rod for removing a stuck pistol barrel. This aint no "zinc plated" Home Depot stuff.. I tried and it just twisted and snapped with very little torque applied. I now have my own set of 2.5", 4", 6" and 8" .. "stuck barrel" removal tools. I was able to buy a pawn shop pistol replace the barrel.. and flip it for a profit. And I dont even work on guns!!!

THIS is MISSISSIPPI... I told my sunday school class... that poor boy will out of a job and not even know who to blame.   Kinda sad really.  :'(

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #10 - 01/21/14 at 17:53:09

reminds me of my last trip to Trader Horn (our local small chain hardware store):  

I was looking for brushes for an old drill my grandpa gave to my son.  I asked the kid, "do you have carbon brushes for motors?" (show him the old one in a ziploc baggie).   He says, "What's it for?" I said, "a drill motor".

He leads me to the aisle with wire brushes, welding hammers, etc: "Hmm, I don't think we have that kind of brush"

ME: "no, it's just CALLED a 'brush', it's really an electrical component" (show him the baggie with the worn out brush again)

(He leads me to the aisle with light switches, bulbs, outlets): "hmm, no, I don't think we have those"  

me: "ok, thanks anyway" ( rummaged around the store 'till i finally found the brushes in a drawer)

Actually I guess I should be happy he tried to help!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 01/21/14 at 18:50:28

Yeah...most of them would have just looked at it and not recognizing it, would have said something like 'we ain't got nuttin like that' and walked off if they were not trying to hide from you as you came in.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #12 - 01/22/14 at 07:38:31

Well, since the tread got necro'd...

I went to Home Depot and bought 4 socket ( hex) pan head cap screw.  This looks like a phillips with a nice round face and  no shoulders. Instead of a phillips it is hex socket. These are all 1/4  stainless. I bought all the 1" they had ( 4) and 4 more at 1.5 inches. ( total eight).
A box of SS 1/4 lock washers.
8 1/4 SS flat washers
4 1/4 SS acorn nuts
4 1/4 SS nuts
1 tube blue lock stuff ( I forget the name by permatex)

It took a bit of work but now all the 6mm chrome phillips and their chrome acorn nuts are replaced with the SAE above. Total cost about $22. Equivilanet to the price of three chrome bolt/acorn pairs.

Does it look .. JUST AS NICE... not really. The SS have a more yellow tint, and it shows against the chrome boss. Also they are a tad smaller. However, much of the bike has hex socket screws everywhere.. and most are in contrast to the surface they are set against (for instance the chrome "valve covers" have black hex cap). So, unless someone just KNEW that the bike did not come this way, there really isn't anything standing out that makes it "off" .. instead it looks MORE stock as now all the hex screws match.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 01/23/14 at 05:57:45

Grade 8's have high tensile strength, but will shear off more easily than a 5. When I changed the frames on a coupla F150s I used 8s.Hit them w/ the impact every day, one blows up, slap another in & tag it,,Neither one ever came back w/ a rattle.
You know thos black impact sockets? Theyre softer than the chrome ones,,

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 01/23/14 at 08:31:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/23/14 at 05:57:45:
You know thos black impact sockets? Theyre softer than the chrome ones,,

Dang,.. I didn't know that...

...and my front pulley socket is chrome... Huh...
..(I kinda' wish I still didn't know that)... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:28:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › Grumpy old men

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.