Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Nice hard bags (Read 302 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Nice hard bags
01/12/14 at 22:35:41

I came across this pic while looking at cycle trader.  Does anyone know what kind these are and how they are attached?  Thanks.

111560366_2thumb_770x574.jpg

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Nice hard bags
Reply #1 - 01/12/14 at 22:38:42

Looks like the chrome around is holding the bag, and is attached to the side rail.

Looks kinda like these

In white:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Hard-Saddle-Bags-Trunk-w-Lights-Mounted-Motorcy...

In black:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Motorcycle-Cruiser-Hard-Trunk-Saddle-Bags-Trunk...

LOL, showed the wife the picture, she says order me some in black... so I did, I'll let you know. These are what I ordered, like a dollar less than the ones above.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-MOTORCYCLE-HARD-SADDLEBAG-TRUNK-BAG-LUGGAGE-TAI...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #2 - 01/13/14 at 05:12:29

I like those a lot, has anyone here done hard bags on their savage and have an opinion about them?

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 01/13/14 at 07:12:33

$49 hard bags?..  
Jeepers!  That's the price of a tool bag!...

Give us a review when you get them...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/13/14 at 08:48:20

Fitty BUX? Fo' REal? Dude, Im CHEAP, I built my "luggage". I used backpacks on the sides & a gym bag Id reinforced w/ 1/8th ply for the top, but for fifty lousy BUCKS?? Id be buyin those if they arent paper mache'.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
William Pors
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/13/14 at 09:01:40

Man... You can't build your own luggage. I wouldn't even think of trying that. I had enough saddle bags accidentally tear on me to know that it's not one of those things you can do yourself.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 01/13/14 at 09:06:32

I will do a review when they get here. They have lights, so a wiring job will have to be done. They are 16" long, so moving the rear blinker job will have to be done. They stick back behind the rear seat pan area, so more than likely I will have to move the back luggage pack I "just" installed rearward by about 1-2 inches.

And yes I realize cheap is cheap, but abs plastic is very durable if the mix is "just right'. We shall see....
Got to make the wife happy, she wants more storage, i'll give her more storage. Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 01/13/14 at 09:50:55

The Yammy I bought came with a similar trunk. The hinges are just pinned into the plastics... so its a weak point and yup it broke there.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 01/13/14 at 10:55:57

I never had a failure & I hauled full loads of groceries & various things.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 01/13/14 at 11:07:08

I gotta ask, do you have any pics JOG?

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 01/13/14 at 11:18:02

Naah, sorry, Ive sold the bike & ditched the backpacks. I cut the seperators out, so it was just one big empty bag. I put D rings on the gym bag & sewed a 1/8th piece of ply to the bottom & glued one inside. It stuck out over the tail lite. Im really good with knots & carried parachute cord & secured it when it was loaded, even tho it was securely tied down to the seat in 2 places with the D rings. I also put a flap on the front that wrapped around the seat strap & velcro held it secure there, too.
The side bags took some doing to hang them & keep them outta the spokes & allow the swingarm to keep them in place & not rip them. They, too, had inner liners I made to keep them straight, but I didnt sew them in, I woulda gone cross country with that setup & not been afraid it would fail,

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 01/13/14 at 11:53:40

Pine wrote on 01/13/14 at 09:50:55:
The Yammy I bought came with a similar trunk. The hinges are just pinned into the plastics... so its a weak point and yup it broke there.

Seen that, told her so, but I have some hinge material and will probably replace the plastic there with a full across the front hinge.
Or maybe knock it off, cut it flush and then put a hinge along a long side to make it more stable.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #12 - 01/13/14 at 12:27:18

old_rider wrote on 01/13/14 at 11:53:40:
Pine wrote on 01/13/14 at 09:50:55:

Seen that, told her so, but I have some hinge material and will probably replace the plastic there with a full across the front hinge.
Or maybe knock it off, cut it flush and then put a hinge along a long side to make it more stable.

there are wires that will prevent top from being opened too far and stressing the hinge. The wire on mine had rusted through. I suspect that if one was to make sure that wire stays put then the hinges should last a reasonable time. Let that wire break and the hinges will take a beating and fail. The way its hinged, it will take a bit of doing to to change the how its hinged as the stock one is "jutted out" to give the lid clearance when open. Nothing that can be overcome, but its more that just cut off the old and replace with metal.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 01/13/14 at 12:36:22

Id remove the hinge & reinforce the area w/ fiberglass or rivet something in. Better to fix something before it goes to crap. A stitch in time saves 9..

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #14 - 01/14/14 at 03:03:35

you could always buy a pair of ammo cans for about $20 each at the army/navy store like I did a couple years ago.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:19:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › Nice hard bags

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!