Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chinese hackers attack Guzzi forum (Read 67 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chinese hackers attack Guzzi forum
01/12/14 at 19:55:28

Today the Wild Guzzi Forum (for Moto Guzzi motorcycles) was under attack from hackers in China for about 2 hours.  A member asked what would hackers gain from hacking into the forum and the administrator had this to say:

Quote:
They were trying to crack into the database.  After the 4th attempt, I got a note from my server with the warning.  So, I put the server in read only mode, thus not allowing them to 'write' any data just in case they were able to crack the password.

Had they gotten in, they would have gained access to close to 10,000 email address, ip addresses, etc.  Plus, they could have uploaded a virus that you could have downloaded and it could have been malware that could get credit card information if you had any stored somewhere.

I caught them, and blocked that range of IP's from even seeing the website.

This happens daily, but usually the firewall will remove them automatically, but these guys were better than normal and somehow managed to spoof my account info.

They probably just wanted to see if they could do it and then do some mischief.  I thought some of you might be interested.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Chinese hackers attack Guzzi forum
Reply #1 - 01/12/14 at 21:56:55

Everything is up for grabs.  Motorcycle forums, Target, you name it.  Someone got my debit card number this year and bought some stuff at a Walmart in CA.  They told me it wasn't their concern and I needed to talk to my bank. Angry

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/13/14 at 07:42:06

pgambr that is pretty scary.  What eventually happened?  Were you stuck for the bill?  I think that the people who issue these cards and the stores that accept them should do more for their security.  Why not put a photo on the card, the bank could take the picture and print it on the card.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 01/13/14 at 16:35:19

My bank is very good at preventing card theft. They noticed that my debit card was used in Toronto to withdraw $200 cash and blocked the transaction and froze the card. Then they called me and told me about it. Apparently I had used the card to pay for gas and the pump had a card reader in it. There was a person parked nearby who, using binoculars, saw me enter the pin number.
From then on I go into the booth to pay and cover the keypad with my hand while entering the pin.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/13/14 at 20:09:43

Theres a bot or spammer on Illuminattiguzzisti right now,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 01/13/14 at 20:21:37

engineer wrote on 01/13/14 at 07:42:06:
pgambr that is pretty scary.  What eventually happened?  Were you stuck for the bill?  I think that the people who issue these cards and the stores that accept them should do more for their security.  Why not put a photo on the card, the bank could take the picture and print it on the card.

Fortunately, my bank reimbursed me.  A local business or the bank it did business with was hacked by some group and 100 or so people went through the same thing.  My bank called me at 6:00 in the morning and asked me if I bought anything in El Cajon, CA.  Nope, I haven't been to CA since 95.  I try to pay with cash for everything whenever possible now.  

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 01/13/14 at 20:39:27

Cash can be stolen or lost, checks can be copied and forged, credit cards can be hijacked...

US bills seem to get some security redesign every time I look a them... (they could hand me Monopoly money and have to take their word for it)...

Commerce is a dangerous business...

...(I had a bill payment check stolen out of my mailbox a couple of years ago,... I found out, when I got a late payment from the electric company... I went to the post office, and ended up at the FBI... )...
It's all too complicated...  I remain oblivious...
... intentionally oblivious...

Choosing how to pay... is like choosing a method of execution...
The result is the same... only the delivery changes...

Don't worry... be happy... be oblivious... Grin...
...(or maybe, I know enough to know that it makes no difference what I know)...
JUst get Zen about it...
Ooooohm... Ooooohm... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 01/14/14 at 01:26:18

This keeps happening because no one does anything to these hackers when they catch them. Someone stole my credit card a year or two back and altho they used it at several stores, and most likely used them in front of a video camera. It was not worth the effort by the card company so they just reimbursed me my $2,000. Wouldn't even take the time to look and see who it was.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 01/14/14 at 02:33:48

I actually keep two credit cards, the larger limit one I don't use online. The smaller limit, and it is a minimal limit I use online. As far as I'm aware it isn't linked to the larger limit card. Therefore if someone does hack me, the most they can get is $NZ 500 or about $US 400.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:23:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › Chinese hackers attack Guzzi forum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.