Send Topic Print
Oil Tank?? (Read 162 times)
SimeonC

Tha-Tha-Tha
Thumper!!

Alabama
Oil Tank??
01/11/14 at 16:21:38

Has anyone ever seen or heard of an external oil tank conversion for the ls650 engine?? Is such a thing even possible to get the oil to circulate properly through the motor and the back to the external tank with the oil circulation designed the way that it is?

ALL GAS EYELID-FLIPPER!!
GO-BABY-GO!!
  IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Re: Oil Tank??
Reply #1 - 01/11/14 at 16:41:49

The savage does actually have an oil in and outlet in the front of the engine, suitable for an oil cooler installation, so I can't see why you couldn't mount an oil tank instead..

But lets hear it from on of the more experienced users, I could be mistaken..  Cheesy

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #2 - 01/11/14 at 16:43:29

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/12/14 at 08:47:26

Oil tanks are needed for engines that have a dry sump.  In a dry sump system there is no oil laying in the crankcase....used oil is pumped out of the crankcase by a scavenge pump and stored in the tank where it can cool and the trapped air can rise to the top of the tank and be vented.  Oil from the bottom of the tank goes to the pressure pump and is circulated ot the crank, cam, lifter, etc.....then when it runs to the bottom of the crankcase it is again picked up by the scavenge pump and it goes back to the tank.

Our engine is a wet sump and the oil is shared with the clutch and transmission.......there is no reason to run an oil tank.  The oil is picked up by the pressure pump from the common crankcase and transmission, and when it falls off the crank, cam, cylinder walls, rockers, etc....it just runs back to the bottom of the crankcase.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 01/14/14 at 04:28:15

We-e-ell...  Roll Eyes

picking up from SimeonC's opening post, a long-range rider could come up with an interesting solution:
"a 2-4 pint oil tank, with a see-through window and pint-markings, allowing for 1 pint (or even half-pint) top-ups during long hauls; simply allow the bike to rest, sit her up, read the oil level and twist tap to top up"

How 'bout that ? Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 01/14/14 at 05:55:50

Adding more oil lines and connections is just asking for more places to leak.....just sayin' Huh

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 01/14/14 at 06:49:04

Aye, but the pressure would be "1 bar" meaning ambient pressure.

No more a possibility to leak than the fuel line...

And, I forgot to say, where to plug it in... One possibility would be a tapped and threaded oil filler plug...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/14/14 at 07:00:25

mpescatori wrote on 01/14/14 at 06:49:04:
And, I forgot to say, where to plug it in... One possibility would be a tapped and threaded oil filler plug...

If you wanted to add a tank for spare oil.....it could work.  And tapping the line into the engine could be done just by adding a tapped fitting at any point on the engine case.  The only hard part of this is keeping the aluminum bits from going into the case while the hole is drilled and tapped. Perhaps a point on the clutch cover would be easiest as you could just remove that cover while it is drilled and tapped.

Most people just throw a small bottle of oil in the bags when they go on long trips......and some do the same with a bit of fuel just in case they need it.  This forum is however full of options and possibilities.......

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 01/14/14 at 07:08:58

I agree, but imagine having ... not a "fake oil tank" as a toolbox or to catch all the electricals,
but a "real oil tank" to hold the oil ...

Not that there are that many Ironbutt riders on this particular Forum, but having a spare 2 qts. of oil sitting under the seat means you could actually just "drain, refill and go!" by the mere loosening of a 14mm socket !

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
SimeonC

Tha-Tha-Tha
Thumper!!

Alabama
Reply #9 - 01/15/14 at 21:45:29

Thanks everyone for your input... My oil tank idea is not as much for long rides (even though its a good idea) but more for the classic true bobber style.. Its more of having the aesthetic value and uniqueness, Example being would you rather have a universal slip on exhaust, or a true, tuned, sleek, custom bent full exhaust... You see having a look alike just doesn't feel the same as having the real deal  Cool. If your a biker you can understand where I'm coming from .

ALL GAS EYELID-FLIPPER!!
GO-BABY-GO!!
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #10 - 01/16/14 at 05:20:56

SimeonC wrote on 01/15/14 at 21:45:29:
Thanks everyone for your input... My oil tank idea is not as much for long rides (even though its a good idea) but more for the classic true bobber style.. Its more of having the aesthetic value and uniqueness, Example being would you rather have a universal slip on exhaust, or a true, tuned, sleek, custom bent full exhaust... You see having a look alike just doesn't feel the same as having the real deal  Cool. If your a biker you can understand where I'm coming from .

Oh, I understand alright.

Try a 500 mile ride (250+250) on a 1hp, 50cc moped that'll do 25mph, 30 downhill...

Try a 600 mile ride (oneway) on a cold winter's night in puring rain, with a 6V electrical system and a 35W headlight, and nothing more.

Try a "mere" 120 mile ride in below freezing temperature with only a wind jacket and jeans because they were one full day behind schedule and had lied about having the bike ready...
I showed up and it wasn't  Angry ...so I had to ride her home after closing hours because I couldn't afford to spend the night in a local motel...

There are many ways to mean "biker":

- buy a bike that's 3 years' salary to you, polish her up and ride her to the local biker bar, and that's the fartherst she'll ever go...  but you have all the patches because they were mail orders.

- buy a bike that's a wreck to restore, spend all you've got and finally have her rolling and ready, only to realize she really isn't what you intended - but you spent all you had so it's ride or die (=sell)

- buy a bike that's only a few month's salary, ugly as a bat and reliable as an iron hammer and bore the h3ll out of your friendly mechanic and pay him to teach you how to do emergency repairs by the streetside,
and send him a "thank you!" postcard from that far away place he wished you luck for - and you made it !  Cool

Personally, my Savage is reasonably stock standard, save for a K&N air filter, a rejetted carb and a Sportster slip-on muffler.
My idea of highway bars are to protect the knees and ankles in case of a fall, not to stretch my feet and legs into gynecological positions... Wink
I replaced the narrow 24" drag bars with 32" drag bars for comfort, yet waived the miniapes, however nice some people think they look, because they do not allow the kind of control I require.
I ride in the rain. I have rain gear and an armored jacket and a FF helmet. The bike gets wet ? So what, it'll dry out eventually.  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 01/17/14 at 05:11:20

SimeonC wrote on 01/15/14 at 21:45:29:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Smiley

Make it what you want it to look like, and don't belittle a man because his is different, cause he might use his better than you use yours..... and we ain't just talkin' bikes...  Grin

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
SimeonC

Tha-Tha-Tha
Thumper!!

Alabama
Reply #12 - 01/19/14 at 17:59:21

Now yall have completely gotten off of the point im not belittling anyone okay I don't kno if you all have noticed yet but there is no room for us to belittle anyone we don't exactly ride the biggest or baddest bike but yall have completely missed the point, a biker is not what your opinion of one is you wasted your time writing all of that to a scenario that relates nothing to me and I wear no patches or colors... A biker is someone who loves there bike and would rather be riding than doing most anything else... That's a biker!!! If you have a slip on exhaust because that what you can afford theres nothing wrong with that I had one for the longest, but if someone gave you the choice for a custom exhaust or a slip on at the same price you would choose to get the custom job every time I don't care what you say 9 out of 10 would choose the custom job and your lying if you say you wouldn't... a biker always wants his bike to be personal to him, something that appeals to his interest, that's what I meant by a biker as opposed to someone who buys an overly priced bike and take it out on weekends then have the nerve to talk down to sumn... that's what I meant do not misunderstand my motives, and if you do then it really doesn't matter because its my bike and im building it my way.. Grin

ALL GAS EYELID-FLIPPER!!
GO-BABY-GO!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:29:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Tank??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.