Send Topic Print
Great River Road trip (Read 93 times)
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Great River Road trip
01/10/14 at 23:37:13

I plan to spend 3 day long Memorial Day weekend on Great River Road (Iowa) trip. All the way from New Albin on North, IA  to Keokuk, IA on South. Most likely by myself, alone. I'm more and more interested in touring, rather than standing next to my bike, with bear in hand and talking about biking. Smiley
Now I'm collecting info for the trip. Points of interests, attractions, hotels... Getting ready.
So...  Anybody ride Great River Road? Anybody ride 3-4 (or more) days on Savage/Boulevard?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Great River Road trip
Reply #1 - 01/10/14 at 23:49:42

Dude,, a crazy guy took his Sabbage from Florida, over to the Burning Man thing, up to Canada, over East above NY & then South, home,, He was on the road so long he hadda buy tires..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 01/11/14 at 00:54:00

A little over a month averaging 250 to 400 odd some miles a day. Not all of those days were all riding but many of them. Bike ran great. Stay off the Interstates. Bike is too light for 70 plus speeds.

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #3 - 01/11/14 at 02:36:13

Afan wrote on 01/10/14 at 23:37:13:
So...  Anybody ride Great River Road? Anybody ride 3-4 (or more) days on Savage/Boulevard?

At the moment I'm lucky if I get 3-4 miles outa the thing, and to be honest in the UK if I did manage to ride for 3 or 4 days I'd fall off the end of the country  Smiley but wishing you good luck hope you have a great time and I hope the bear enjoys it too  Smiley

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 01/11/14 at 22:20:06

Afan wrote on 01/10/14 at 23:37:13:
I plan to spend 3 day long Memorial Day weekend on Great River Road (Iowa) trip. All the way from New Albin on North, IA  to Keokuk, IA on South. Most likely by myself, alone. I'm more and more interested in touring, rather than standing next to my bike, with bear in hand and talking about biking. Smiley
Now I'm collecting info for the trip. Points of interests, attractions, hotels... Getting ready.

Used to live in Quincy IL. and would ride up north to the tri-citeis, road the great river road for a bit in the late spring, was a nice ride, except there were some maybugs were out and along the river they were thick, riding through a crowd of them was nasty.
But you can ride the savage for many miles, just have to learn to time your breaks and maybe get a good gel cushion.
I rode from north florida to north Carolina, took two days, but was a blast (other than dumping it in some gravel). But don't over do your time, if your back or butt feels bad stop. Total trip was over a week, and we rode quite a bit, lotsa fun.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #5 - 01/15/14 at 17:20:27

OT: How can I change my (temp) password?

IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #6 - 01/15/14 at 20:23:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/10/14 at 23:49:42:
Dude,, a crazy guy took his Sabbage from Florida, over to the Burning Man thing, up to Canada, over East above NY & then South, home,, He was on the road so long he hadda buy tires..

There is no doubt my thumper is able to do it. I just wonder, if somebody did it, is there anything I should know.

IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #7 - 01/15/14 at 20:25:08

stinger wrote on 01/11/14 at 00:54:00:
Stay off the Interstates. Bike is too light for 70 plus speeds.

Agree 100%.
I'm actually staying away from interstates even I drive car. It's boring...

IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #8 - 01/15/14 at 20:26:09

Steddy58 wrote on 01/11/14 at 02:36:13:
... and to be honest in the UK if I did manage to ride for 3 or 4 days I'd fall off the end of the country  Smiley ...

HA HA HA...

IP Logged
henneman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/21/14 at 12:07:28

I have never rode my bike down there, but I am familiar with the area from bird watching trips: WI 35 runs right along the river from La Crosse to Prairie Du Chien, otherwise some of the various river roads veer from the valley.  Some highlights are: 1) Potosi (WI) Brewery and Museum of Breweriana; 2) Cassville, WI to Iowa Car Ferry; 3) Dubuque Aquarium and waterfront; 4) Galena, Illinois and its museums and shops; 5) Dickeyville, WI Grotto; 6) Effigy Mounds in MacGregor, IA; 7) Wyalusing State Park and Villa Louis in Prairie Du Chien; and, 8) Lansing, IA bridge over Mississippi.  These are on the north end of your trip.  I have not been much farther south on the River Road.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:16:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › Great River Road trip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.