YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: My winther project
Reply #15 - 04/10/14 at 06:05:03

SavageCat wrote on 04/10/14 at 05:56:43:
Side note - is this the best place to measure your oil temp?

Well no it is not the best place.....but it is the easiest.  I betcha it is impossible to read this gauage while you are riding.  It most likely isn't reading oil temperature as much as it is reading the case temperature.

Best place to measure the oil temp is by removing the front plug down by the footpeg, install an adapter and a temperature sending unit, then place a readable gauge up on the handlebars.

I have a Trail Tech Vapor speedometer and you can install either an oil or head temperature sending unit, and read the temperature on the dash....and even set a yellow and red warning light to make you aware when you have reached the set points.

They also have smaller units for temperature readout.  The only problem I have with these smaller units is they have an internal battery that is not replaceable and only lasts 5 years.

http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/tto/temperature

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SavageCat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central VA
Reply #16 - 04/10/14 at 06:29:04

Good to know. Definitely not readable while driving. I guess I was asking about the accuracy of what it shows...so if it shows an oil temp that is normal at the case...does that mean all is well elsewhere? I can see the benefit of this for someone sitting in traffic and wanting to make sure things aren't getting too hot. Or for some general R&D stuff.

Sorry to hijack the thread...I know there have been a plethora of oil threads so no need to add to it...just wondering of the efficacy of measuring oil temp at this location.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 04/10/14 at 06:53:33

SavageCat wrote on 04/10/14 at 06:29:04:
I can see the benefit of this for someone sitting in traffic and wanting to make sure things aren't getting too hot. Or for some general R&D stuff.Thanks!

Me.....I have a head temperature sensor.  That is where the high temperatures are going to show up first.  It gets the hottest at sustained 70mph speeds, sometimes in traffic....and the highest temp I ever saw was on a first gear gravel mountain road in 90+ degree weather.  All of the temps however were well within what the bike can handle.  This year I have different gearing....so it will be interesting to see how the temp at 70 mph is changed.

Now.....back to the regularly scheduled Winther Project.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:19:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My winther project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.