Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cam chain replacement (Read 137 times)
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Cam chain replacement
01/09/14 at 06:51:37

Hi guys.  My cam chain tensioner was too loose so I was told to replace the cam chain.  I know there's the verslavy but I think that's just a cheap fix for replacing the cam chain, right?  Now that I'm digging into it and trying to change it I'm realizing how difficult it is to get the darn chain off.  I've got the main drive nut off (the left handed one) but haven't removed the clutch.  I don't have the special tool for holding it while trying to remove it.  I'm going at it again tonight with the impact driver.  Is there anything else involved in taking the old chain off?

I'm a little worried about the reassembly, I want to make sure I've got everything lined up and lubed properly.

So after I remove the clutch hopefully I should be able to replace the cam chain.  The engine is at TDC, I checked using the marker and the crankcase.  When I put the cam in, I think the book said lobes down.  Is that all I need to do to make sure that the cam is in the right place?  Then tension the chain and make sure everything is still lined up.  

tldr: What do I have to do to get the old cam chain off?  Does the new one need any kind of lube?  What do I do with the cam when I time the engine?

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Re: Cam chain replacement
Reply #1 - 01/09/14 at 07:17:07

to begin, I would say that remove clutch basket is already superfluous... if you took off the large nut on the crankshaft (with left-hand thread) from the right side(if you not did that, then you can fix the gears with piece of soft metal or wood) , then just gently move the drive gear, and it is very easily comes off hands. and everything will be even easier.. you only keep the accuracy and read Clymer. when you begin to install the Cam, cheking the marks at the right side of the Cam . it will must to fit with the top line of cylinder head, and the pin will be at the 1 hour area,

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #2 - 01/09/14 at 07:21:20

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/09/14 at 07:22:46

there's at least 2 threads in the tech section on the subject.

have you read them?

WWW   IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #4 - 01/09/14 at 07:24:54

Hah I just found them a few mins ago. Cam chain issues thread with links. I think I got it.

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/09/14 at 07:26:20

The Versy gets the last miles out of the chain. YOu should stop where ya are & do the Versy, Its not "Just a cheap solution" its the smart way to go.
You get more miles out of the chain AND its designed to Not spit its guts into the engine. The stock design makes us swap the chain before its even worn out. When my tensioner said "Time for a new cam chain" I measured the chain, & Nopers, it wasnt worn out yet,, But, the tensioner was pokin out too far to Not change the chain, This was before Versy had his vision.,.,Or I would have one,,but, alas, Ive sold mine,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #6 - 01/09/14 at 07:28:37

I see. I'll measure my old chain. The new one is still in the packaging to maybe I can return it if I need to. The cost of the chain could get me a couple verslavvys

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 01/09/14 at 07:40:19

You cant measure well unless its off, How close together are the 2 sides when you press the slack out, like the tensioner does?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #8 - 01/09/14 at 08:01:40

Not sure any more. Cam is off and tensioner is off and I'm not anywhere near the shop Sad

I might just replace the chain anyway and then in another 10k miles do the Verslavy.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 01/09/14 at 08:42:52

Save the old chain, & before you install the new one, let it soak at least a few hours in oil, let it get all soppy wet where the pins run thru. If youve already got the old chain off, then yea, youve got a new one, slap er together & ride, man,, A little planning & you coulda jacked the cam up while its out.
You got a stock exhaust?
& waitin 10K for the Versy install isnt a bad plan,

IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #10 - 01/10/14 at 07:19:33

Ok new chain is on and I got it timed with the cam in and everything. Whew that was the scariest part of putting it back together.  Thankfully my tensioner wasn't mangled. I just need to put my side covers and head cover back on and then I'm pretty much ready to fire it up.  
Thanks for the help everyone

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 01/10/14 at 08:27:52

Drizzle oil down that chain. Unless ya soaked it good, heck, drizzle some anyway,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:14:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.