Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is the motorcycle market saturated? (Read 184 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Is the motorcycle market saturated?
Reply #15 - 01/10/14 at 05:42:00

old_rider wrote on 01/10/14 at 05:38:43:
Well, talk to his dad and bring the 300 over to your house so you can "keep it running good", until he figures out what to do with it. Ya know....since he got the ticket and can't insure it, will keep him from riding it and get in trouble....hint....hint... Cheesy

Yep....I would also have him bring the stock exhaust over and take that loud thing off that he put on.....and then take the Power Commander off that he put on to stop the backfiring that showed up after he put on the new $ 800 exhaust.....Yada, yada, yada!  Kids.....It was such a nice bike when he got it, and he almost instantly started bolting expensive stuff on it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #16 - 01/10/14 at 06:08:01

Yup, he got online and had to keep up with all those other kids that bought them. I only added power adapters to mine, 12v marine plugs X2 and a six slot extra fuse box, so I wouldn't have to break into the bike harness.
Dang thing runs so good I don't see why they would even think of adding all the stuff they do. I guess if you got money extra because you didn't buy the 10,000 dollar one, you spend it elsewhere.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
seedubs1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 01/10/14 at 16:43:23

I buy in the winter and sell in the spring, summer, and fall for bikes.  It snows here in the winter, so there's not many buyers in the winter and there's tons for sale.

Just picked up a 2001 savage with 5900 miles on it in minty condition for $1400 (hence me being new to the forum  Grin)

And you're right.  Craigslistis a gold mine for buyers.  Especially this time of year.  If you can drive 2 hours, you can find a great bike for pennies.

Only downside is that selling is a pain.  When I sold my gsxr and drz a couple years back, the craigslist sites were so inundated with bike sales that if you didn't relist every day or two, your post got completely buried.  Not to mention the scammers, people who schedule to meet and don't show up just to waste your time, and the lowballers.  Even when I had my bikes listed for super cheap, I'd get some idiot offering me $1k for a mint k6 gsxr 600.  It's infuriating sometimes.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #18 - 01/10/14 at 17:44:20

Saturated? Probably so. Three reasons come to mind.

The number of low mileage bikes listed seems disproportional to bikes that reflect the mileage that you would expect for the model year. As an example, the 2007 C50 I bought in March of last year had a whopping 2,200 miles on the clock, less than 400 miles a year. There seem to be a lot of guys that have never ridden that buy a new bike then scare themselves or figure out it is hot, cold, or wet out there and then just park it in the garage until they get the nerve to tell the misses and try to sell it. How many times have you read in the ad that the seller "no longer has any time to ride"? A rider always has the time.

Then there are the riders that need to have a new one every few years. Lots of low mileage trade-ins for the shiny vanity bikes.

But maybe the main reason is the way we view bikes in the US. Now there are a fair number of riders on this forum and out in the real world that rack up enough miles to wear out the bike by commuting on their rides. However, most of us use them for recreation and would have a hard time racking up enough miles to use up the bike before we got tired of it and migrated to another bike. Again, as a personal example. I bought my first bike, a used 2007 S40 in February 2012. It had 3,200 miles on it when I bought it and 9,200 when I traded it in on a used 2007 C50 13 months later in March 2013. The C50 had 2,200 on it when I bought it and 7,500 on it now. I fully anticipate holding on to it for the 2014 riding season but have already convinced myself I need a better tour bike with ABS and alloy wheels when I retire and hit the road full time in 2016. So, there will probably be one more C50 for sale with less than 20,000 miles in the spring of 2016.

Sorry to be so longwinded but as an old sales/marketing/advertising  guy, it is an interesting topic.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
seedubs1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 01/10/14 at 18:12:35

You're right Blinky.  There's no median.  Bikes either get tons of miles put on them, or they sit in a garage unused.  Like you said, lots of new riders get a bike, ride it a few times and scare themselves out of riding.

Any way you look at it, it's good for a lot of us who do ride.  There's tons of cheap bikes out there with almost no mileage on them.

But it does suck for someone who racks up mileage to try to sell a bike.  It's hard to sell one with 50,000 miles on it when there's 15 other bikes on craigslist that have under 10,000 miles on them.  It's why a few guys I know have pretty much just succumbed to the fact that they're going to keep their bike until it goes to the salvage yard.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #20 - 01/10/14 at 20:28:48

I think the aging population, a lot of Harley Dressers going on the block as Gramps can't handle it anymore.  Not so many young un coming on board for sports bikes, as a great number don't have jobs that cover rent, food, girl friend and bike.  When I look at the number of Ducati Monsters for sale, egaaads.  When on the WIldguzzi forum the question of number of bikes sold new in USA, the numbers are so small you wonder why they bother. :'(

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 01/10/14 at 23:01:27

Just wait.. The continuing downturn of our economy is gonna drive prices Waaay down.. The only pressure is gonna be in the economy bikes prices. I expect to see the Kawa 250 bounce back up in value in 2 years, because it is so cheap to run & so bulletproof.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:32:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Is the motorcycle market saturated?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.