Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is the motorcycle market saturated? (Read 184 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Is the motorcycle market saturated?
01/08/14 at 10:48:32

On occasion I go to Craiglist and just poke around looking at the motorycles that are for sale.  The Cincinnati version includes a large amount of land area and has pages and pages of motorcycles listed.  If you are willing to drive 2 hours to pickup a bike you also can include the Lexington and Louisville, KY and the Dayton and Columbus, OH lists as well.  There are thousands of motorycles to choose from - and most of the same bikes are on the site for as long as my memory and attention span can recall.  There are usually about 10 - 15 Savages to choose from on these 5 lists, and if you have a bike like a Kawasaki 250 Ninja you can pick from a hundred of them......more models and years of Harleys than I can count.

If you are in the market to purchase a used bike......you have a great many bikes to choose from.  It seems that we buy and drive our cars and keep using them until they are worn out and sent off for scrap.....or we trade it in on a new one and somebody else buys it and uses it up.  For motorycles it seems that far less are used up and scrapped - they tend to be used for a while and then offered for sale when the owner wants a new one.  Sure there are insurance company bikes that get written off - but most of them are recycled and put back on the market with Salvage titles or parted out to repair other bikes.  Our Craigslist has a seller called Racer411 that offers salvage bikes almost exclusively.

I just can't help but believe that motorcycles sales have far outpaced the rate at which people can sustain it.....and that if you want to buy a bike you have a great chance of finding a nice one.  If you are selling.......it can be really tough!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Re: Is the motorcycle market saturated?
Reply #1 - 01/08/14 at 11:25:53

Same for guitars, I used to sale on CL pretty often, now if you dont renew everyday your ads get so far down the pages that no ones ever sees them. A buyers market there too and my collection is growing but it's only good if you dont need cash.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 01/08/14 at 11:44:59

Yeah, I just dropped the price on the Harley site on my Road Glide another $500 and have not gotten any hits and i'm about 5 grand under list price for it.
Really tuff to sell right now. Folks want me to give it away, and that isn't going to happen.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/08/14 at 22:56:57

Wait for Sp[ring to sell bikes, winter for skis, summer for tennis rackets,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 01/08/14 at 23:20:10

Since a lot of you guys can't ride in winter, JOG2 sums it up.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/09/14 at 03:36:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/08/14 at 22:56:57:
Wait for Sp[ring to sell bikes, winter for skis, summer for tennis rackets,

I realize the market is probably better for selling bikes when the grass is growing - but the same situation exists spring, summer and fall.  There is a seemingly endless supply on Craigslist.  Unless you have some really rare or unique bike - there are 20 other guys selling the exact same thing every day.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 01/09/14 at 11:43:27

The only bikes that sell with any rapidity down here seem to be Honda VLX600, Honda CMX450C, and Kawasaki VN800A models. The rest sit on the sites until the ad expires and doesn't get renewed, or in some cases, for years. I've seen the same overpriced Shovelhead chopper on Craigslist for over 2 years. $5500 is too much for a 1970s AMF oil leaker.

And you still literally can not give away a Savage/S40 down here. Scrappers don't even want them.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 01/09/14 at 11:53:53

I guess I scored big then. I sold mine to a guy who walked in the shop & saw it. Got $2,500.00 for it & all the accumulated goodies & special tools & stuff, including the shop manual,, I think he got a good deal, a fully sorted & tuned machine and the book? & spare parts & of course, me, for when its time to do anything to it, but he can pay for that..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/09/14 at 13:55:53

One of the reasons I posted this, is that when I was looking for a road bike that I could put my wife on with me.....I just kept seeing the same bikes over and over and over.  Some of them appeared to be good prices and in good shape - others were taped together basket cases.  I was not sure what I wanted, a friend had suggested that the BMW K bikes were very reliable and although not flashy - they were a good value.  I kept seeing really nice bikes week after week and they were very affordable.  Then I wondered about the Kawasaki Concours, and looked at them for a while and once again, the same bikes were listed for months.  I had also toyed with the idea of getting a 250 Ninja to keep for a year or two as they were darn cheap and I thought it would be fun to own one for a year and then move it - but there were so many of those for sale that I never was able to keep track of them and I suspected when it came time to sell it I would have to give it away.  It just seemed to me that there were far more bikes than could ever be re-sold on the used market.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 01/09/14 at 14:42:41

Well,, that doesnt make buying to resell look great, but buying dirt cheap to keep? Sounds good,,Getchya one O them little Ningees,, ride the poo out of it,, watch the sale prices & once youve "enjoyed" it enough to be able to accept the dollar loss selling it would create, sell it.. You just "rented" a bike for a year or more,, for cheap., I hear they have a 300 out, so the 250's arent quite the hot ticket they were. You mite wait for the 300's to start hitting the For Sale column. Thatll drive the 250s down harder. They are good fun, from everything Ive heard. Dependable & solid, really good handling, just low on power. I call all that good. Takes skill to keep speed thru a corner when youre low on power,

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/09/14 at 15:03:56

The BIL's concourse sees little action.  and I've ridden it once around the block.  I'd have to stretch the bars back so I could sit up and I'd have to find more room for my feet.  I've heard they're top heavy, so once they start to go over... good luck bringing it back.

250's being bounced from newb to newb might not be a good buy unless you're comfortable with straightening it out.  but it might be a good alternative to the savage for commuting as long as you don't have a lot of stop and go.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 01/09/14 at 20:02:13

I have been on CL about 4yrs buying and selling. A couple of yrs ago I started noticing the quality and high prices of cars and truckjs and the types were luxury. People have lost jobs, hours, interest income dwindled, etc. I think some are just selling for cash flow, and a motorcycle bought on a whim is not a necessitiy.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 01/10/14 at 05:08:42

250 ninja's a couple years old are really cheap here, I actually bought the wife a new one for 3,000 bucks, it was only 4 months old and had 400 miles on it.
She didn't like the way it sat when full of fuel it was a little awkward for her (top heavy).
I sold it for what I bought it for and got her the savage.
I myself have a 300 ninja and love the little thing, its a blast to ride and gets really good gas mileage, water cooled , fuel injected and low maintenance. The riding position is what I don't like on the really long rides, which is why i'm selling my Harley to buy a savage for me.
There are 2 LS650's on CL down here and one S40, priced from 1,500 to 2,400, the low priced one has a lot of case corrosion but is said to run really well, I've got to sell the Harley first, not enough room in the garage at the moment and don't want to store it outside.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 01/10/14 at 05:31:49

I think the Ninja 300 is a far better bike in looks and performance than the 250 - but my goal at the time was just to have a really cheap bike to ride for a year or two and then get rid of.  The 300's are affordable bikes....but not cheap.  Ihave a young cousin that just bought a new 300 last summer and he gets bored with stuff really quickly.....so maybe that one will come along soon.  He got a speeding ticket a few months ago and his motorycle insurance has been canceled.....so maybe it will be available sooner than expected!

Now that I have the ST1100 I am not looking for anything else at the moment.  The amazing thing is that the used ST1100 bikes are very affordable - it is a whole lot of bike for not much money.  I don't believe the bikes have a whole lot of personality to ride.....they just go and go for a lot of miles and thy are smooth and reliable......but not fast or nimble.  I am out of the "buyers" market for a while and not visiting Craigslist much anymore.  I will ride this for a year or two and see what happens next.....however my Cafe' Savage is still my bike of choice when riding solo around the local rural roads!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #14 - 01/10/14 at 05:38:43

Well, talk to his dad and bring the 300 over to your house so you can "keep it running good", until he figures out what to do with it. Ya know....since he got the ticket and can't insure it, will keep him from riding it and get in trouble....hint....hint... Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:27:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › Is the motorcycle market saturated?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.