Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Hoarders?
01/08/14 at 04:45:23

My uncle was helping to settle an estate, and they needed me to look at a couple of VW's an establish a value.  I used to repair VW's and have owned quite a few in my younger days.

One of the VW's was a 1967 bus.....and this is what I saw when I went to look at it:

The VW and every other car in the building was surrounded by "stuff".  Boxes and old car parts and lamps and signs and old toys and old tools and old mopeds and bicycles......you name it!  The man had 4 large garages just stacked with stuff and some of the areas were so deeply stacked that you could not even walk between things.  I managed to get one front door open enough to peek inside, and I was able to find a spot where I could crawl in under the bus to see what the bottom looked like.  The bus is a project with the typical rust on the rocker panels, the frame was good - but it was missing the rear seats and needs a complete restoration.

It will take the family 1-2 years of hard work to clear this mess up.  There is some really nice and valuable stuff in these garages - but also a lot of stuff that is not worth much.  He had rearly Indian and Harley single cylinder motorcycles from the 1910 - 1914 era, a 50's Norton, a 70's Honda 350 XL, and a 1967 Honda S65 with only 372 miles on it. (I bought that one).

I am going to start cleaning out my stuff and get rid of all the extra stuff, I don't want my wife or family to have to go through this kind of cleanup when I am gone!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Hoarders?
Reply #1 - 01/08/14 at 05:08:14

Remember, before refurbishing any project, check everywhere for parts you could possibly need to replace or repair.
I know most would say not to repaint it, but consider a professional refurbishment if you are going to do that for total value.
Sometimes we mean well, but cannot do what a professional can, plus if they are known for great jobs you will probably get a great quote on final value or estimated insurance needs.
In other words, that Honda needs some love, or you could find the right buyer and make some profit.
Same with the VW, or you could just be a "finder" for the VW sale and collect a little for your trouble while assisting the family with their funds.

Another idea... call the American Pickers! I'm not kiddin'....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/08/14 at 05:24:53

The Honda is just getting cleaned up....and made to run.  It is not perfect - but is too nice of an original bike to go through a restoration.  I have already cleaned out the "original" fuel that was left in the tank for 47 years!  The tank and carb cleaned up well, and I am waiting for a replacement petcock as the original one cannot be salvaged.  I did put some fuel in the carb after cleaning it and changing the oil....an the darned thing came back to life on the second kick!  It has a lot of dirt and rust on the chrome that is cleaning up pretty well.  The Honda will just be used for riding to church on Sunday morning, riding around the neighborhood on occasion, and I am very likely to bring it to the Dragon Run so you all can take a ride!

The owner of all this stuff was very active in the antique car hobby, and word got out really fast that he had passed away.  The son in law is doing a good job of selling the really valuable stuff.  There was a 1930's Bugatti, a 1927 Ariens Fox fire Truck, a 356 Porsche, a 1920's Cadilac, a 1915 Buick, and lots of other antique cars that have already been sold.  I was only asked to help in the motorycle and VW appraisals - they have qualified help for all the other stuff.  Once all the big and valuable stuff is gone - they will have a large local auction.  They did not want the notoriety of being on Pickers.  I just volunteered a few hours of my time so that I could crawl through all the buildings and explore.....it was fun to see what treasures could be uncovered!

old_rider.....You really need something like this Honda S65 for your ride into town.  It is 7 HP and is supposed to get 100 mpg or so.....I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the petcock so I can go ride this bike.  Th only petcock I could find with the double outlets that this bike has....is one of those eBay petcocks from Thailand.  It was shipped 30 days ago and is supposed to be here today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/08/14 at 06:33:01

That is really cool Dave.  It must have been fun crawling through all that stuff and then pick up a really nice sixties vintage Honda.  Those old Hondas are starting to be very collectible but most of the "barn" finds are in terrible condition.  Yours looks really good.  Congratulations!

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 01/08/14 at 09:39:58

I'm helping a friend with this situation, which is of his own making and not an estate. It's bloody hard work.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/08/14 at 09:56:11

jcstokes wrote on 01/08/14 at 09:39:58:
I'm helping a friend with this situation, which is of his own making and not an estate. It's bloody hard work.

One of the reasons that I am not jumping in to help on this estate, is that I had a friend pass away 2 years ago who had way too many projects and possessions.  He had no family that could help, and 3 of us who were close friends did all the work.  It took 1.5 years of evenings and weekends to get everything gone and the property sold.  During those 1.5 years I was not able to keep up with the maintenance on my house, and I am still catching up.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 01/08/14 at 10:39:18

Bet that'll be great fun to put around on... Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 01/08/14 at 19:27:25

That bus could be worth a huge amount, dont touch it till youve talked to collectors.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
suzi-q

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/09/14 at 17:56:49

Smileyhey dave.  my 1st bike was an s65.  got it when i was 14. made a tag and rode it until i was 16 and got a real tag for it.  rode it to my high school grad.  had trans problem at 21,000 mi. and became a mc machanic. thanx for sharing it with us.  would love to have it

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 01/09/14 at 19:53:49

Dave, my first taste of power came on what I think was a 50cc exactly like that in black. My older cousin overhauled it and asked me to ride it whenever I wanted to break it in. He kept it three months and it cost 50 cents to run it all day, no helmet, shorts--first motorized wreck. I was about 13. Six yrs later jumped on an H1 Kaw and paid 600 for the fastest thin I ever saw. Tore it up got the blue H2 Widowmaker. Ain't memories great?  Smiley  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 01/09/14 at 20:59:35

We just had 2 homes burn to the ground here, last night...
Hoarding was blamed... the fire got out of control too fast...
http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/24402349/crews-battle-mobile-home-fire-on-...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 01/10/14 at 04:16:02

On Tuesday night when I got home, there was a notice in my mailbox that the USPS had tried to deliver "Certified Mail", and we were not home to sign for it.  What had I done?  I try to pay all my bills, I try not to do things that get me into lawsuits, and the name on the notice indicated that the sender was not Ed McMann.  I lost a little sleep on it that night, and the round trip from either home or work was going to be about 40 minutes......could I wait until Saturday to pick it up?.....NOPE!

Yesterday I drove down to the Post Office and picked up my mail, and discovered an order from a Probate Court authorizing the sale of a 1966 Honda S65 from the estate, and the Title for the motorcycle!  This was great news as I was not sure they were going to be able to find the title in all that mess.  I was expecting to only get a bill of sale from the estate, and I was going to have to chase down how to get a new title.  It was better than a letter from Ed McMann!

I am still waiting for the petock to arrive from Thailand.....it has been in the mail for 32 days!  When that arrives......it will be ready for the first ride!

IP Logged
seedubs1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/10/14 at 16:48:44

This is why I go through everything I own once a year.  If it's not a tool or gun and has not been used in more than a year, it gets sold or taken to goodwill.

Looks like a nice bike.  Should be a lot of fun around town.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 01/10/14 at 22:58:18

Goodwill? Man,, I sure hope you spend the time to look at what they make & what they pay & compare to Salvation Army. I wouldnt give Goodwill the sweat off my balls.. Ive worked for them. They arent nice.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 01/11/14 at 08:12:07

In my twenties I restored a 67 bus that had the port holes and retracting sun roof.... had it running and looking great, that is all but the bumpers, which I see the rear one it your pix. If that bumper has the aluminum trim too, it really is a fantastic find. It was the last year with the split windshield which makes it most desirable.

It looked like this, same exact color, I believe this is a model....

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:35:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hoarders?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.