Carb/Petcock Problem? (Read 58 times)
centex91
YaBB Newbies

I think, therefore I
ride.

Texas
Carb/Petcock Problem?
01/05/14 at 16:05:40

Hey y'all. I recently bought my '95 Savage and she was working just great until recently. Earlier today I suspected that my carb had been flooded by my own fault messing with the petcock valve.

So, I removed the carb for cleaning, emptied a surprising amount of fuel, and put her right back on. She started up just great, and got her around 50-55 mph all with smooth shifting. However, after about two hours, she won't start. I'm starting to suspect this might be an issue with the petcock vacuum or maybe some of the carb lines.

Do y'all have any insight/advice as to what I should do next? I've checked my battery already, the fuel tank is full of new gas, etc. Just lost at the moment.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Carb/Petcock Problem?
Reply #1 - 01/05/14 at 16:27:17

Sounds like it might be a petc0ck problem.  Here's how to test it.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #2 - 01/05/14 at 18:26:53

Changing the petcock to a Raptor 660 is about a fifteen minute job with a phillips screwdriver. It took me longer to drain my tank than to do the swap. It's a good under 20.00 upgrade from the stock vacuum setup and makes the tank removal a lot easier for other maintenance. Just sayin'....

IP Logged
centex91
YaBB Newbies

I think, therefore I
ride.

Texas
Reply #3 - 01/05/14 at 18:33:46

Yeah, I feel like even without troubleshooting everything, switching to the raptor will be the best short and long term option. Thanks for the input y'all! I'll be picking one up within the week  Cool

Edit: Is there a way to drain the carb without removing it? I'm thinking the petcock is flooding the carb, but the process was kind of a pain in the ass (for a newbie at least).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/05/14 at 22:19:32

Draining the carb doesnt "Un Flood" an engine. Its flooded because thers too much gas in the cylinder. If youre having this kinda problem, make sure your oil is still 100% OIL & no gas is in it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #5 - 01/05/14 at 22:24:30

Ya at the bottom of the carb there should be little "spigot" which is opened and closed with a little philips-headed deal.

Gas in the cylinder?... does that really happen? Huh...prob 'cause of the vaccum line or whatever. Mines capped off.

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 01/06/14 at 03:23:53

Ohh yea,, gas in the crankcase happens,, all thats gotta happen is the petcock mess up & feed gas into the carb & the bowl float valve mess up & intake valve open & you can see gas in the oil. We have seen it several times, Snot a nice thing to have happen.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:25:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb/Petcock Problem?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.